6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2012 8:10 PM by BenjaminMarkus

rendering issue in after effects in CS6 AE

sanjasre_26

I have got a file and it is from DSLR. I am done some animation on it in AE and want to render it. WHen i render it choosing "Lossless" . The output file is not smooth enough. When i play it. it start stop and start stop. WHen i choose a format option for Eg. PAL, NTSC or others. I get a error mSG at the bottomg screen. it says your final output size will be this x this. WHich is smaller than my original footage. WHat should i do to get my same size clip as origional 1920 x1080 with smoothness in the vedio when i play??

ANyone please advise. We don't need to anything like this in premier pro So why this is in AE.?

Could anyone please advise?

Thanks

Sushil

• 2. Re: rendering issue in after effects in CS6 AE
          sanjasre_26 Level 1

oK thanks for reply. I have been thru this beofre. but does not amke any sense to me.

WHen I use a file DSLR which is just 95 MB in AE and don't make any animation. I mean don't touch anything in AE and just render it. The output size is 2.5GB.

Damn!!! why??

This is not the case in adobe prePRO. am i right. WHY SI THIS AE??  It means software is increasing th size. it isnot the animations in AE increasing the size. SO why such funniest thing happening in AE??

Thanks

Sushil

• 3. Re: rendering issue in after effects in CS6 AE
            sanjasre_26 Level 1

Another interesting thing is- In adobe pre pro. when you export it  you can choose to "" match sequence setting" and export the video. We don't use any cimpression and still the videos is same size almost and play well in media.

SO why such anything is not in AE??? WHy is it increasing the size?? IF i want a video of same size 1920x1080 with animation in it. I can;t get it.

YEs!! format option for quick time. reduces the size, keep the same frame size and play well. now my question is I have got windows when I will play it on MAC it's size gonna increase by iteself??? as Adobe says-""""The default on Mac OS is for a QuickTime movie with lossless Animation compression. The default on Windows is for an AVI movie with no compression"""

• 4. Re: rendering issue in after effects in CS6 AE
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Erm, you seriously and completely misunderstand and need to read up on that stuff instead of just hitting buttons at random. AE cannot work like Premiere Pro. Any operation fully decompresses and then recompresses the footage. Lossless means what it means "lossless" as in no compression being applied.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: rendering issue in after effects in CS6 AE
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mylenium's response, though short, is full of useful information. The key part is that After Effects fully decompresses your footage and works on a full-frame every frame. It is a pixel-based compositor and not a program that plays back a video stream.

This link talks about it as well.

• 6. Re: rendering issue in after effects in CS6 AE
                  BenjaminMarkus Level 4

One of the first questions that might be useful to ask yourself is what kind of output do you actually need?  Most people use the Aniamtion codec if they plan on moving in between different applications, re-rendering several times or doing heavy VFX work.  Since the Animation codec is lossless it works to maintain the best possible quality even when it's re-compressed.  However, there are many other lossless codecs such as Black Magic, Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) / 4444, Uncompressed 10-bit, Uncompressed 8-bit and Quicktime PNG.  Some have smaller file sizes, some might play back better in real time and some won't.  Some production houses even export in high quality image sequences to maintain quality.  That way if a render is interrupted you can simply pick up where you left off.  Then when you're finally finished with your image sequence render you can render everything into a single movie file.

However, if all you want to do is preview your animation on the desktop or upload it to the web, then I would suggest exporting to a delivery codec like H.264.  The quality is definitely lossy, but it's still quite good for final export and it should play fine off your desktop.  However, Adobe doesn't recommend using After Effects for H.264 output, so your best bet for quality is to drag your After Effects composition into Adobe Media Encoder, choose one of the H.264 presets and render it from there. 

Remember that Adobe Media Encoder isn't automatically set up to export your After Effects comp based on the work area you set up in After Effects, so after you select your preset, click it to make custom changes and make sure the Source Range is set to Work Area.  Otherwise, you'll  end up exporting a bunch of black frames if your work area doesn't exactly match the length of your comp.  You could also do this prior to do dragging your comp over by right clicking your work area in After Effects and selecting Trim Comp to Work Area.

AME_Work_Area.png

But, if you plan on working with your clip in other applications, for example moving in between Premiere Pro and After Effects, I would render it to a lossless production codec like Animation or one of the others I mentioned.  Although Premiere Pro works natively with the H.264 footage aquired from most DSLR cameras, it's usually a good idea to transcode all that footage to a production codec when doing a lot of work in After Effects.  This is especially true if you plan on doing any keying or compositing work.