17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2012 7:09 PM by heathrowe

Problems with EDGE and Firefox 17

jdhughen Level 1

Firefox 17 is setup as my "default" browser (Win7pro).

I have a edge project loaded, saved and running. The project plays perfectly in firefox 17 when I use "Preview In Browser" from with EDGE. But if I try to open the exported html package directly in firefox I get an error message "Additional plugins are required to display the media on this page" with an option to "install" such plugins which of course it can't find when you try to do that. All java plugins are current and updated. So.....

Why does it work fine when I use "preview in browser" directly form edge and not when I try to open the page directly in firefox 17 ? What is EDGE doing when it "sends" a preview to the browser that it's not doing when it creates the export html/package ?  BTW everything works fine in IE9.

Joel Hughen

• 1. Re: Problems with EDGE and Firefox 17
          JonPatterson

Same problem for me. Preview works fine but opening the published HTML results in "additonal plugins are required to display all the media on this page."

• 2. Re: Problems with EDGE and Firefox 17
            heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

Preview in Browser usually works fine because that feature is mapped to a server environment. Notice the http://127.0.0.1:port# at the beginning of each urls/address bar of a 'previewed in browser' file.

But simply doubled clicking on a html file that contains scripts, that is not mapped to a server environment, usually results in some warning. IE does the same thing.

hth

Darrell

• 3. Re: Problems with EDGE and Firefox 17
              JonPatterson Level 1

Thanks Darrell. So my next question is, can I fix this myself or does Adobe need to make an update?

• 4. Re: Problems with EDGE and Firefox 17

I don't think there is much you can do. If you had a site created in any other application (IDE, like Dreamweaver) that also contained scripts (if not in a server environment, and you double click it to open it) you will see the same warnings, as well, so its not so much the nature of Edge causing it, it has to do with 'serving' the scripts 'outside' a server environment.

One 'option' is if you have IIS installed you can save the Edge Project folders to your machines localhost server environment (usually located at C > inetpub > wwwroot > nameofprojectfolder

Then you can open/view it via the local host address (similar to how Preview in Browser works) by typing something like this into your browser bar:

http://127.0.0.1/nameofprojectfolder/

or

http://localhost/nameofprojectfolder/

or if you don't have default documents setup within IIS (it should be by default), then you can map to the file directly, like this

http://localhost/nameofprojectfolder/index.html

hth

Darrell

• 5. Re: Problems with EDGE and Firefox 17
                  JonPatterson Level 1

Oh ok, so yeah, Adobe needs to handle this. Thanks for the info!

• 6. Re: Problems with EDGE and Firefox 17

Your welcome... but still, it's not an Adobe issue, its a browser issue and how you interact with client side scripting (as noted above).

Darrell

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Problems with EDGE and Firefox 17
                      jdhughen Level 1

Thanks for the responses but this doesn't really make sense.  First this is only a problem (for me) in Firefox it plays in IE fine. I have all kinds of dreamweaver created pages I run localy in firefox that contain java scripts for I kinds of animated things and have never had this problem. I export from flash that runs scripts and don't have this problem. It seems to be something in the files are being created that are causing firefox concerned. Can't there be some little bit of code that tells the browser it's ok or if being run locally does the same thing that edge is doing to make it run in edge preview ??

So your saying I have to either create a local server to preview edge files locally or upload to a sandbox server in order to preview out side of EDGE ?  Are you talking like setting up a local mySQL server connection in Dreamweaver ?

Thanks

Joel

• 8. Re: Problems with EDGE and Firefox 17

Hey Joel can you post a zipped up of this offending project that prompts these 'plugin' messages? Do you see this all the time for every project?

I just set FireFox as my default browser and tested a project file - Preview in, worked as expected, double clicked worked as expected (unlike IE it always shows a prompt).

Darrell

• 9. Re: Problems with EDGE and Firefox 17
                          jdhughen Level 1

Sure, but It's doesn't seem to be project specific. It's just on of the std tut files and does the same thing with mine or the "finished" version supplied with the software. Do you need all the files/assets or just the project file ?

• 10. Re: Problems with EDGE and Firefox 17
                            jdhughen Level 1

Darrell,

How do I send and attachment ?

Thanks

Joel

• 11. Re: Problems with EDGE and Firefox 17

Upload to a file sharing host such as the upload capability that is with your Adobe Creative Cloud; or through another party such as dropbox.com; or upload it to your personal website/host and send along url of the zip file.

Zip the entire folder.

Darrell

• 12. Re: Problems with EDGE and Firefox 17
                                jdhughen Level 1

Darrell,

The links are below.

One is the "published" group of files.

The other is the saved project files.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wfdvtzyp24k6sr/Publish.zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3wnoick47w1be9/Project.zip

As I mentioned before it acts the same regardless of the project I'm working with. Preview form Edge is fine. But opening the file in firefox directly doesn't work. Also it won't preview from Dreamweaver either, while other html pages I have with scripts in them all work fine with no problems.

Thanks

Joel

• 13. Re: Problems with EDGE and Firefox 17

I just downloaded them

Your project file > .html (upon open in FireFox) works fine. I do not get any prompts, whatsoever. Runs smoothly.

I just created a simple page n Dw > added the Edge Composition .oam package. Saved and previewed in FireFox - works a charm and no warnings. Dw does not offer in-app preview of Edge animations.

I can't explain why your FireFox is prompting with the messages. The only thing I can see is if you have some FireFox debug extension or plugin installed.

I do notice one thing about your project file (though I doubt it is the cause of the FireFox prompt issue) - your project appears to be a 'carry-over from an earlier build. The reason I can tell is because your Elements Panel stage reference is lower-case (stage <div>). This was how it was was in the Preview builds from Adobe Labs. Since v1, this should now appear like this (Stage <div>).

Darrell

• 14. Re: Problems with EDGE and Firefox 17
                                    jdhughen Level 1

Darrell,

Thanks for looking at it. I'm not sure either I might try a clean re-install of firefox.

<QUOTE>Dw does not offer in-app preview of Edge animations.</QUOTE>

Thats odd since dreamweaver is suppose to be their flagship HTML editor. Is a better connection with EDGE - Dreamweaver in the works ?

<QUOTE>The only thing I can see is if you have some FireFox debug extension or plugin installed</QUOTE>

I do have "Firebug" and "Developer tools" installed but they weren't currently active. And as I mentioned all my other Dreamweaver websites and html files with scripts in them work fine. I will try uninstalling the addons and see what happens.

Can you send me the little DW html file you created. You can just email it to me

jdhughen@bellsouth.net

<QUOTE>your project appears to be a 'carry-over from an earlier build.</QUOTE>

Its just the same project that EDGE generates when you do the splash screen tutorials, step through and click on the "show finished project" link. I just downloaded and installed EGDE a few days ago so I assume I have the latest build 1.0.1.204.22434  and lastest splash screen tuts??

Thanks

Joel

• 15. Re: Problems with EDGE and Firefox 17

Here is the test file (from a Dw html5 template file from the File > New menu option; then Insert > Media > Edge Animation). Ignore the scroll bars as it does not fit the width of the content, as I merely just wanted to test your file without going  through extra hoops.

http://www.heathrowe.com/edge/dwtest/test.html

http://www.heathrowe.com/edge/dwtest/test.zip

Dreamweaver adds Edge Animate files as an embed so the Design view only shows the embed placeholder, as captured below.

capture-0238.jpg

Live View shows the animation fine, but I rarely use it.

I also only have Firebug and Devloper tools installed in FireFox but do not see the issue you see.

Have  you tried other browsers? As a develpoer I have the latest IE/Chrome/Safari/FireFox installed and constantly cross-check for compatibilities. IE for me is the only one that prompts to 'unblock' controls, which is typical.

Darrell

• 16. Re: Problems with EDGE and Firefox 17
                                        jdhughen Level 1

Darrell,

thanks for your help on this.

Well I removed firebug and developer tools and still had the problem so I saved my FFox .js prefs and did a reset. That cleared it up. So now I have to go back through and add the other extensions/plugins back in one at a time to find the offending one. I'll post what I find.

thanks for the other files

Joel

• 17. Re: Problems with EDGE and Firefox 17

Your welcome.

Darrell