7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2012 10:47 PM by SuhasYogin

Export for ios on PC

Holeycow Level 1

Hi

I've got a file I developed for a Windows environment using as3 in Flash CS6 on a win7 based machine.

I've now been asked to convert to an ipad app. One approach I'm looking at is doing it through Indesign, but I'm also wondering if there is a way to export it from Flash for ios even though I'm on a PC.......or do I have to shell out for a mac.......something I'd rather avoid if I possibly can. I've looked briefly into the publish settings and it would seem that requires owning a mac (from what I can tell)

• 1. Re: Export for ios on PC
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

flash pro cs6 can publish for iOS.

generally, you will need to do some (or alot) of tweaking to obtain a satisfactoy experience with you iOS app but flash can publish the needed ipa file that you can then install on an iPad.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Export for ios on PC
            Holeycow Level 1

Can I achieve this without owning a mac?

• 3. Re: Export for ios on PC

yes.

(but installing your app on your iPad will be more complicated.)

• 4. Re: Export for ios on PC
                Holeycow Level 1

Okay....I think I'm starting to get my head around this a little bit. It seems to me that it's going to be far easier if I get the cheapest mac I can, and use my cloud subscription to put flash onto it and output it from the mac (I'm a designer/animator by trade.....not a developer. It seems silly to make this harder for myself than it needs to be). Can the final app then be transfered to other ipads via something like dropbox, or am I stuck with using the itunes app store.......or the "ad hoc" distribution I've read a bit about?

• 5. Re: Export for ios on PC

you can use the ad hoc distribution when you publish your iOS app.  that way you do not need to use iTunes or anything else from apple (other than your ad hoc distribution certificate and provisioning profile).

However, according to Apple, you are limited to 100 iDevices onto which your app can be installed. I am not sure how they can ethically check that limit but it is Apple.  They like to make and enforce rules and they may install some kind of call-home code into your app.

p.s. please mark helpful/correct responses.

• 6. Re: Export for ios on PC
                    Holeycow Level 1

It looks to me as thoiugh, seeing as my content is all slides and video, that I may be better off actually buying a mac and doing this project in ibooks author.

• 7. Re: Export for ios on PC
                      SuhasYogin Adobe Employee

Hello,

If you have installed Flash Professional CS6 Update 2, you can bypass the usage of iTunes on the target device. To know more about how to publish to iOS devices using Flash Professional CS6, see this Help article.

Regards,
                      Suhas Yogin