8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2012 1:29 AM by Harm Millaard

Format Pr on Two Screens

glaustin Level 1

Hi Guys

I'm running CS6 on Win7Pro, SP1.

I've got a 24inch screen plugged into a Nvidia Quadro FX3800. I've been toying with the idea of buying a second monitor (which needs to be a 'displayPort' monitor for one of the 2 spare ports on the FX3800)  to give me more editing 'real estate' as they say.

Before doing so I'd be really interested to hear any views or advice on how easy it is and how to get the best from laying out PremierePro across 2 screens if I buy a 2nd monitor.

Also, does anyone know if I am confined to DisplayPort or is there an adapter?

Look forward to any advice,

Regards,

Graham

• 1. Re: Format Pr on Two Screens
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Graham, it is very easy to do that. Attach the second monitor to the video card (if needed with a displayport to DVI connector) and setup your monitors in the nVidia control panel. I have done it like this:

Control panel monitor.png

Then open PR and modify your workspace to how you like it and save your project. The project contains your screen layout. In my case it looks like this:

Monitor_setup_small.png

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Format Pr on Two Screens
            glaustin Level 1

Thank you very much, Harm. That's really helpful (and it looks impressive).

Could I just ask what is the left monitor dedicated to? I can't quite work it out. Also, for future reference, does cabling in a TV make a major difference on colour and contrast output and if I wanted to plug-in a TV as well, like you've done on top, would I need a separate box?

Thanks again,

Graham

• 3. Re: Format Pr on Two Screens
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Graham,

The left most screen is the single monitor on my old 'Beast', but I had three screens next to each other and did not want to get a fourth one, so I downgraded the 'Beast' from a dual monitor setup to a single monitor. That also explains all these keyboards. The one on the left is the Beast keyboard, the two on the right were attached to the Monster during testing and setup, because I needed a cable connected keyboard for all my BIOS settings in the testing phase. Both of these are now replaced with a single wireless Logitech K800 illuminated keyboard and the Logitech DiNovo cordless keyboard has been moved to my laptop (not shown in the picture).

On the 'Monster' I have these two Samsung monitors plus a TV attached to a single GTX 680, which allows for four connections at the same time.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Format Pr on Two Screens
                glaustin Level 1

Harm,

Once again, very helpful. Thank you for your explanations.

• 5. Re: Format Pr on Two Screens
                  al_bergstein Level 1

WHen you say tv what do you mean? I could assume a lot of definitions.

• 6. Re: Format Pr on Two Screens
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

TV is short for television, usually used to watch television programs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television

• 7. Re: Format Pr on Two Screens
                      al_bergstein Level 1

Thanks Harm. The planet I come from doesn't have tv. This Wiki thing you earthlings have is quite enjoyable but I can't sell it door to door to earn my way to my home planet.  Anyway, thanks for the good laugh. Posting like this can be so inaccurate.

What I think I was asking was whether your tv that you mounted was a standard lo res tv monitor. I still have a large CRT that I try to use but it's not really something that the US needs anymore. And I've had problems trying to mount it above my other monitors like that. 

Anyway. I'll work it out. Happy hipodaze.

• 8. Re: Format Pr on Two Screens
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

It is a 24" LCD TV with full HD, 1920 x 1080 and includes a built-in DVD player as well and is connected over HDMI.