8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2012 8:27 AM by nealeh RSS

Need help with explanation of FRAPS to Adobe Pre Elements

Lukedook

Hello Everyone.

So I'm having this issue and its really holding me back. I am a complete hobbyist when it comes to editing and I'm trying to solve my issue where my fraps footage looks like garbage once imported into Adobe Pre Elements 9.

Now I wanted to get a newer version of  Adobe because it seems to be a good starting place for me to get more into editing and its the only program I'm familiar with so I went ahead and bought Elements 11.

My settings are fine and I have made a post before about my issue and I have found the simplest answer I could find. but it makes no scene to me . I have no idea what a codec is and how to work these programs. I am looking for someone to explain to me what I have to do to keep my quality from fraps and import it into adobe and when its exported to actually look like its a 1080p Movie rather than what I'm having.

example movie of what the quality I have now...www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pJ8fl_g5R

I have watched a number of videos on what my settings and render out settings should be and they are correct.
      This is the answer I found http://forums.adobe.com/thread/967201 Can someone explain this to me?

I am also considering XSplit is there similar problems with that recording program to with Adobe Elements?

would really appreciate a answer here rather than rummaging through threads because I am very new with the terms and end up not understanding how they solve the problem.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Need help with explanation of FRAPS to Adobe Pre Elements
          Steve Grisetti MVP

Luke, is this a continuation of the discussion you started yesterday?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4927356#4927356

It's confusing when you start a new discussion without finishing your discussion of the first.

• 2. Re: Need help with explanation of FRAPS to Adobe Pre Elements
            Lukedook Community Member

Oops!! I thought I made a reply an no one answered so I made a new thread. I should of checked that thread before making this one to see I did not actually post my question! sorry about that. I just don't understand what I am suppose to do it is all very confusing to me.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction I just find it very difficult to understand what there talking about and would like someone to explain what I should do to me so I can ask further questions.

Again sorry about that other thread I was mistaken.

If anyone has an idea of what i can do please let me know.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Need help with explanation of FRAPS to Adobe Pre Elements
              John T Smith MVP

Don't know if these will help, and I'm not going to take the time to read your duplicate message to see if these have already been mentioned (Steve is right... stick with one message for one problem) but some reading that MAY help

Fraps http://forums.adobe.com/thread/871095

-and http://forums.adobe.com/thread/943772

-Elements http://forums.adobe.com/thread/967201

• 4. Re: Need help with explanation of FRAPS to Adobe Pre Elements

Thanks Ill take a good look into them.
                Again sorry about that and I do thank you taking time to point me in the right direction.

Ill get back if I have any more specific questions.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Need help with explanation of FRAPS to Adobe Pre Elements

Ok thanks for the Info. So after looking through an article I found out something I need to do.
                  I am just wondering how about I go about doing them.

1. ffdshow. what is this program and what does it do?

2. down sampling my video to 1280 by 720. how do I down sample my fraps videos? the guy calms he captures at 1280 by 720? there is no option in fraps other than full and half screen(Ill test to see if half screen is 720 and get back to you) but do they mean compressing it some how before bringing it into Premiere?

3. "output the video from FRAPS using the Huffyuv codec" how do I go about doing this? does this tie in with the ffdshow? I'm not sure what a codec is 100% and I have no idea how to change it.

Id just like to apologize again for re-posting but thank you both for taking the time to point me in the right direction. I was just frustrated but regardless should not have done so.
                  Thanks again for your help and hopefully you could help me with these questions.

Thanks

*Edit Frapsing in "half size" is not 1280 by 720P it is half the size of what you are capturing in

• 6. Re: Need help with explanation of FRAPS to Adobe Pre Elements
                    the_wine_snob Community Member

FFDShow is a "direct show" video application. Once, going back many years, Premiere (before either Elements, or the Pro versions) once used direct show for display. At about Premiere 5.0, that was changed, and Premiere began using its own display module. FFDShow is available from several sources, but many users of both PrPro and PrE have had issues with it, and it is usually tough to remove from a system. However, one trusted user and contributor here, Neale, found that FFDShow did help with some display problems on his computer, and some claim that Adobe T/S does recommend it, in some cases. Based on the problems, that so many others have encountered with FFDShow and several Adobe programs, I steer clear of it.

A video screen-cap program will capture at the computer's full screen resolution, or some portion of that, so if one has, say 1920 x 1080 for the display resolution, that will be the default capture resolution. What is stated by other posters is probably THEIR computer's screen resolution, and yours might well differ.

The HuffYUV CODEC is available free, but it is now rather long in the tooth. Many feel that the newer Lagarith Lossless, or UT Lossless, are better options, and both are free. In their cases, one would Export/Convert to MS AVI, but using the Lagarith, or UT CODEC, inside the AVI wrapper. It has been so long, since I last used HuffYUV, that I cannot recall if it was also wrapped in the MS AVI container, or not - just too long ago.

For more background on CODEC's, first see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0 For even more info on CODEC's, see the link in Reply # 8.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Need help with explanation of FRAPS to Adobe Pre Elements

Thanks Bill for your reply and thoughts!

Ill get back with any progress i make

• 8. Re: Need help with explanation of FRAPS to Adobe Pre Elements
                        nealeh Community Member

Bill Hunt wrote:

However, one trusted user and contributor here, Neale, found that FFDShow did help with some display problems on his computer, and some claim that Adobe T/S does recommend it, in some cases

Yes. PRE wouldn't work with some cheap Toshiba camcorder clips and Adobe recommended ffdshow as the cure. It worked.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children