The newsletter I put out for work requires publishing in both English and Portuguese. I do not speak Portuguese and we use a translator.
Prior to my arrival in this position, the newsletter was designed in Microsoft Publisher and was sent to the translator for translation in that file type. I switched us to InDesign because it is what I am best with and I feel it is the best option out there. Problem is, we've had difficulty with translation, as the translator does not use InDesign.
What would be the best way to send this for translation, in your opinion? At this point, the other person who works on the newsletter sends her a word document with all of the text copy-pasted but this is not efficient.
At this point, the other person who works on the newsletter sends her a word document with all of the text copy-pasted but this is not efficient.
Yeah, that's not efficient.
If your translation provider uses anything like Trados, then sending PDF and IDML should work. If your translation provider is one of those who only works in Word or Office, then you have a few less-than-satisfying options. I manage a multilingual workflow with a large number of complex-script users who will only use Word, so I style text carefully, export RTF, and flow the translated RTFs back in and clear overrides. This is problematic in a number of ways, but it's my least-bad option. Other options that might work for you are StoryTweaker from Rorohiko or DocsFlow (or WordFlow) from Em Software. They both allow text-work outside of ID that flow back into ID with much less hassle than place-and-clear-overrides, and much much less hassle than copy-paste.