10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2017 8:44 AM by chrisw44157881

Capturing Video from VHS or VHS-C, capturing stops when goes to static but more video later.

r3consulting Level 1

Hey Everyone, I am capturing video from VHS or VHS-C, through a Canopus ADVC device connected via firewire to the pc.   When capturing, i have found that when the video feed stops and goes to the 'static', premiere ends the capture and asks to save the clip. However sometimes with VHS or VHS-C there is seconds to a few minutes between footage.. where it may 'start back up again'. Is there a way to just have premiere start/stop when i tell it to, and not auto stop for any reason?  it gets really annoying to come back to realize it stopped for some reason and i have to then go back and stitch multiple clips together. I'd rather just work with one long clip and edit out the static then have to start/stop save multiple clips and combine them.

Any help?

Thanks.

Rob Richman

• 1. Re: Capturing Video from VHS or VHS-C, capturing stops when goes to static but more video later.
          Jim_Simon Level 8

My guess would be no.  In the future, this is best handled by not having any gaps in your recording.  (Meaning, don't ever remove or rewind the tape until you're done shooting.)

• 2. Re: Capturing Video from VHS or VHS-C, capturing stops when goes to static but more video later.
            r3consulting Level 1

I don't get why Adobe can't have a setting to 'disregard' whatever it is that is causing it to 'stop'... that way people that transfer old footage like this can just set it and not have to worry about this issue when clients start/stop/rewind/ff, causing the capture to take forever and stitched back together.

alternatively, i was using WinDV for a bit due to another adobe issue i thought it resolved, but not 100% sure now.. but instead of stopping/saving.. it literally 'crashes' upon these stops... so can't use that program either.

does anyone out there transfer VHS/VHS-C and come across some type of solution or workaround or something to help alleviate this annoyance?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Capturing Video from VHS or VHS-C, capturing stops when goes to static but more video later.
              Jim_Simon Level 8

What's causing it to stop is no video signal, meaning nothing to capture.

You could record these to MiniDV tape first via analog inputs on the camera.  That way the 'snow' would come in as an actual video signal and capture from MiniDV would continue uninterrupted.

• 4. Re: Capturing Video from VHS or VHS-C, capturing stops when goes to static but more video later.
                SFL46 Level 3

Your problem appears to defy logic as even with snow or black video there is a video signal.  However,  If your VHS/VHS-C original was recorded as a bunch of separate scenes (the user took the tape out of the camera between scenes and advanced the tape beyond the last segment, there would be no video and no time code.  This is probably why premiere halts the capture and WinDV crashes. Premiere does have a preference item to ignore broken time code, but nothing on missing video signal.  premiere is expecting to see a sequential stream of video images and save them as such.  If there is no video signal it has nothing to process and it stops.

Given the situation, I believe that Jim's suggest is best.  The miniDV will create blank video where there is none and lay down a continuous time code.  In copying from VHS to miniDV--which has a higher resolution than VHS, and the fact that miniDV is downloaded to premiere as a binary file, you shouldn't see the picture degradation that occurs from successive copying, although you have to realize that the picture detail will be no better than what was on the VHS.

As an alternative, if you still have the VHS camera, you could record some video over each gap.  you would have to overlap the gap by a few frames which will cause loss of a few frames on either side of the gap.  

• 5. Re: Capturing Video from VHS or VHS-C, capturing stops when goes to static but more video later.
                  r3consulting Level 1

Guys,

I am transfering these to DVD as a service for clients.  My only issue is that yes, the timecode stops because obviously the client at some point in recording, stopped, ejected, fast forwarded or wahtever, then started back up again. My question is how can i get premiere or any capture program to DISREGARD the timecode and just simply 'record'. I don't mind recording snow (yes snow means there is a signal). At the end of the tape, obviously no signal so it stops... but simply no timecode seems to be the problem.    SFL46, you mention premiere has an option to ignore broken timecode??? well can you explain where that option is?  That may be what i am looking for.  I didn't see that option anywhere.

• 6. Re: Capturing Video from VHS or VHS-C, capturing stops when goes to static but more video later.
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

even with snow or black video there is a video signal.

Black would be a signal, but snow is recognized as no video.

there would be no video and no time code.

Consumer VHS doesn't have timecode.  It's the missing signal that's tripping things up.

• 7. Re: Capturing Video from VHS or VHS-C, capturing stops when goes to static but more video later.
                      r3consulting Level 1

so basically there is nothing that can be done?

is there hardware that allows for better transfer of old VHS tapes without having this issue?  or any clients that start/stop/ often i am just going to be spending a lot more time piecing back together?

just curious.

• 8. Re: Capturing Video from VHS or VHS-C, capturing stops when goes to static but more video later.
                        SFL46 Level 3

From the edit menu, click preferences, click capture. 

You are presented four options.  The first, abort capture on dropped frame ought to be unchecked, I also uncheck use device control timecode as I don't have a time code generator.  I notice that these option are not greyed out if you set device control to none in the device control preferences.

Are you sure that your AVDC deck doesn't add timecode?  the DV standard (IEEE1394)  requires time code.  Premiere will only record frames that have a timecode as Premiere adheres to the IEE1394 standard

I routinely capture video from web sites (obviously no timecode) by passing them through my Sony GV HD700 deck using the AV-DV out function on the deck.  This deck adds the timecode that Premiere pro needs to capture.  You need to have a recordable tape in the deck, but you do not need to record it as the IEEE output is enabled untill you press record or play.  I start the deck and then press the Capture dialog capture button--I don't use the transport coontrols on the dialog.  I believe that most Sony DV./HDV cameras sold in the US have this capability.  (I understand that this function is disabled in european versions because the VAT tax is increased).

Now, if your issue is not time code but actual gaps in the video, then the only way I see to do this, is copy the VHS tape to a miniDV device and when you hit a gap, hit stop, rewind the DV to over lap the gap, FF the VHS to get past the gap and start play VHS and record in that order.

An alternative (more costly) would be to get a digitize card to capture analog video onto your hard disk and then access it through Premiere 

• 9. Re: Capturing Video from VHS or VHS-C, capturing stops when goes to static but more video later.
                          Rnelson77

Was this ever resolved!  It is 5 years later and I am having this problem!  Need help ASAP!  VHS clients are screaming at me!

Thanks!

• 10. Re: Capturing Video from VHS or VHS-C, capturing stops when goes to static but more video later.
                            chrisw44157881 Level 4

i use virtualdub for capturing the whole kitchen sink. it may sound unprofessional, but then again, 80% of premiere users use handbrake, amaright? haha!