7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2006 5:40 PM by Newsgroup_User

Dreamweaver Integration

RosieqTX
      I'm having multiple issues with Fireworks/Dreamweaver integration. You can take a look at my site - currently working - www.austinparks.org to see what my goal is. When I make a change to a Fireworks element, I select the table in Dreamweaver and use the Fireworks Edit button in the properties panel. Fireworks opens up, I make my changes, hit Done, but they don't appear in my Dreamweaver document! Or just as often - Fireworks opens up, and the table has lost all its drop down menus. I have to recopy them from another document.

So, to be safe, I open the table with Fireworks, rather than from Dreamweaver. Drop down menus are present, everything works. I use the export method under the file menu. I open up the page with the table in Dreamweaver. The table does not appear to be updated! I have to delete the table, then use Dreamweaver's "insert Fireworks HTML" command. This takes forever on a large site!

Okay, so even if all that goes smoothly, another issue appears about half the time. My drop down menus appear behind the bottom navigation bar! I tried changing the Z-index, but since both rows are part of the header, it won't let me. You can see an example at http://austinparks.org/problem.html. Note how the 2nd row menu is warped (result of export not working correctly) and 1st row menu hides drop downs behind 2nd row.

The solution to this is to find a working page, rename it, copy all the content into it, and keep copying the page over and over to fix every broken page. This takes forever!

Please please help me!
        • 1. Re: Dreamweaver Integration
          Level 7
          RosieqTX wrote:
          > I'm having multiple issues with Fireworks/Dreamweaver integration. You can take
          > a look at my site - currently working - www.austinparks.org to see what my goal
          > is. When I make a change to a Fireworks element, I select the table in
          > Dreamweaver and use the Fireworks Edit button in the properties panel.

Don't select the table. Select just the image slice you want to change.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] **Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks**
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
          • 2. Re: Dreamweaver Integration
            RosieqTX Level 1
            I tried this. It doesn't help with the menus hiding behind the content column and the row below. I have the nav bar set to a higher Zindex than the content column, but the drop-downs still appear behind the content column.

When I just select the slice - it opens up the whole table, anyway. Am I not understanding what you are telling me?
            • 3. Re: Dreamweaver Integration
              Level 7
              RosieqTX wrote:
              > I tried this. It doesn't help with the menus hiding behind the content column
              > and the row below.

Are you using fixed position layers?

I have the nav bar set to a higher Zindex than the content
              > column, but the drop-downs still appear behind the content column.
              >
              > When I just select the slice - it opens up the whole table, anyway. Am I not
              > understanding what you are telling me?

Send me a copy of your PNG file <lightly@sc.rr.com> and I'll see if I
              can find out where things are going wonky.

--
              Linda Rathgeber [PVII] **Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks**
              http://www.projectseven.com
              Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
              CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
              Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
              • 4. Re: Dreamweaver Integration
                Bethbuddha
                I was having very similar problems...all of them... and came upon similar time consuming solutions. http://www.belovenow.org/index2.html I fixed the dropdown menus by making the table beneath them arranged "send to back". Maybe consider redesigning so that you don't have that second row? Well, good luck! Linda was a big help to me. I'm sure she'll get you through.
                ~*Beth
                • 5. Re: Dreamweaver Integration
                  RosieqTX Level 1
                  Thanks Beth and Linda. I did end up redoing the whole site with layers for the drop-downs and no using Fireworks at all. It's much simpler code and loads faster, too. www.austinparks.org if you want to check it out. I had to redo the whole site - but I was able to use templates, so future updates will go smoothly.
                  • 6. Re: Dreamweaver Integration
                    Level 7
                    RosieqTX wrote:
                    > Thanks Beth and Linda. I did end up redoing the whole site with layers for the
                    > drop-downs and no using Fireworks at all. It's much simpler code and loads
                    > faster, too. www.austinparks.org if you want to check it out. I had to redo the
                    > whole site - but I was able to use templates, so future updates will go
                    > smoothly.
                    >
                    Excellent work.

p.s.
                    The 'Upcoming Events' link under 'Calendar' is missing the .html file
                    extension.

SKB
                    • 7. Re: Dreamweaver Integration
                      Level 7
                      RosieqTX wrote:
                      > Thanks Beth and Linda. I did end up redoing the whole site with layers for the
                      > drop-downs and no using Fireworks at all. It's much simpler code and loads
                      > faster, too. www.austinparks.org if you want to check it out. I had to redo the
                      > whole site - but I was able to use templates, so future updates will go
                      > smoothly.
                      >
                      Unless it's banana yellow, you need to define your background color.

Nice site, BTW. ;-)

--
                      Bonnie
                      in California
                      8 ^ )