6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2012 8:01 AM by Jeffrey_Smith

Direction on Page Foldout Options (Ind CS5.5)

yn Level 1

I've found some references, but not enough to cover my specific questions. I have a standard facing page document set up with a right-facing title page, followed by a 3-page spread (the right-most page will fold out to reveal additional content), and ending with a single left-facing end page.  It seems I have two options: 1) use the Page Tool and resize my spread page layout, or 2) use a multipage spread.

1). Page Tool Resize

An example is here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3025684

My understanding is that page layout would be like this:

2 | - | 3

4 | -

Where page 3 is just resized from the spine to be wide enough to fold out to whatever size I need.

2.) Multipage Spreads

The other option is based on Adobe's help notes using multipage spreads referenced here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-7122a.h tml

Scroll down maybe halfway to the Control Spread Pagination section.

I assume layout would appear like this:

2 | 3 | 4

5 | -

Now my questions!

• Which path is correct?
      • Using the second method as Adobe describes, I end up with 3 page numbers on my spread where I really need only two: the left-most page and the opened right-most page. Am I creating any conflicts by creating a master page just for this unique spread? It doesn't seem that I can use the Page Numbering and Sections window to modify this, so I feel that maybe the first option is better in that I can just resize the second page of a spread, add fold lines, and done. Please let me know if I am missing something obvious! =)
      • How do I handle the last page following the foldout spread?  I imagine that the last page number and content would fall on the back of the center page of my foldout spread. That way, there is no content on the back of the page that folds out. So once the fold is closed back, the folded page is turned, the following final page is then revealed on the left as any other final page would be (unless I'm missing something which is likely!).
      • Are there standards for this so that my printer knows what the hell I'm trying to do here? I noticed one of the posters suggested using SPOT color fold lines so that the printer would know where to fold without risking the print. Logical. Anything else? How would I translate my intent of the foldout and ensure that the following last page actually ends up where I need it to be?

I do hope this makes sense. Thank you in advance for any advice that can be offered.

- Noel.

• 1. Re: Direction on Page Foldout Options (Ind CS5.5)
          afsdfasg Level 2

I can't quite picture where the back page fits in, but maybe you can do 5-1 as the first spread (set p5 as start of new section starting at 5, set p1 as start of new section starting at 1)? Export as spreads and you will get fold marks at the page join.

As for the spot overlay for folds, good idea, but make sure that the stroke of the line is set to overprint (Overprint Stroke - Attributes panel), otherwise it will knockout content underneath.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Direction on Page Foldout Options (Ind CS5.5)
            Michael Gianino Level 4

Something that I think you are overlooking is that pages have to come in pairs, because every sheet of paper has two sides. When folded like a book, page 2 will be on the back of page 1, and the back page (which I think makes more sense if you nuber it 4 instead of 5) will be on the back of page 3, but what will be on the back side of the gate (a term for the fold-out or center fold)?

You could have a blank page if you like, but that has to be understood at some point, becuse the printer will want to know how to impose the pages. In the composing stage, I'm not sure it really matters greatly one way or the other which way you make the gate, but since the back of the gate will exist, you should think about what will be on it.

It will probably look like this once it's imposed:

Screen shot 2012-12-19 at 2.03.07 AM.png

…but unless you are the printer, it's not your job to impose (in fact, you could really mess things up if you don't know what you are doing). I'd talk to the printer and see what they want, but it wll probably be a PDF that they will impose.

• 3. Re: Direction on Page Foldout Options (Ind CS5.5)
              yn Level 1

Yeah, I was thinking about that on the way in this morning. Thanks for the reminder. What it is that I have is a large illustration that will span 3 pages in width. I assume, based on the replies so far, that the best thing to do would be to use the Multiplage Spread as described by Adobe (linked in the OP).

That being the case, how would I best set up page numbers then so that the left page is numbered, and the right page of the folder is numbered (center page is assumped to be part of the right page, just oversized). If best practice is to allow each page to hold a number, let me know. I assume I would create a unique master page that has the standard left page/right page numbering, with a third added page and number? Does it even matter?

Based on your layout sample, my 3-page foldout illustration falls on 2, 3, and Gate with page numbers on 2 and Gate (assuming). The page on back of Gate will be blank. The page on back of 3 will be my final content page which is a single-page illustration. This seems logical, and I can create a spread on the final page so that I can control where content falls.

My only real concern at this point is 1) the page numbering as described, and 2) translating this to the printing offce. I should note I am a third party designer. Printing will be made by the client through their own dedicated printer. When packing and exporting for print, all of my contact info is available and I typically provide minimal notes in the process. Is this acceptable?

Thank you both for your informative replies. I hope others find this as useful as I have.

- Noel

• 4. Re: Direction on Page Foldout Options (Ind CS5.5)
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Whether you use a three-page spread or a modified two-page spread is really just a matter of your own preference. Until CS5 you pretty much didn't have the choice unless you wanted to combine multiple files, so using the page tool to do this is a new workflow.

If you want the numbering to be different that it would be with a normal flow, it's just a matter of adding a few sections and restarting the numbers at the points desired.

• 5. Re: Direction on Page Foldout Options (Ind CS5.5)
                  yn Level 1

Ok thanks. This is what I've got. If I understand this right, C-4 will be the foldout; C-5 will be the back of the foldout; C-6 will be the back of C-3 and fall on the left of spine as the final page. I've got "intentionally left blank" text for the back of the fold. The only thing that I can think of now is that C-5 is pulling its page number from the Master Page left. I'm not too concerned with that and can leave as is, but is this acceptable or are there numbering standards for this?

Page Panel Spread Panel.jpg

The only remaining question is translating this to a printer I do not have access to. I will note the section, page, and spread fold descriptions in the Export for Print Notes panel, but I do not think this is enough.

Thank you all again. I truly appreciate the discussion. You have all provided new ideas that I have not considered.

Noel

• 6. Re: Direction on Page Foldout Options (Ind CS5.5)
                    Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

Keep in mind that your fold-in page will need to be smaller (in width) than the main pages. Also, if this project is drilled for three holes and inserted into a binder, then the fold-in page needs to be smaller yet.