13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2012 10:07 AM by Noel Carboni

Help needed to determine what I did to colour a photo please?

wojtczak Level 1

I was wondering if any expert could please advise me what I did to make a mono photo colour?

Was sent a photo to use on a book cover. It was a low res image. I fiddled about with it, applied loads of different, random photoshop elements to it, experimenting to see what effects I could achieve.

I was not making any notes about what I was doing. However, I accidentally created an effect that I really love... and now I cannot recall how I did it. The only thing I do know is that I definitely did not colour each element separately, that would be very hard and would stick in my mind. It must have been an applied effect.

Have now been sent a hi-res copy of the image, suitable for printing on a book cover, but I have no idea how I managed to make the photo into a colour one!

I spent two hours fiddling with various effects, hoping that I could duplicate the process I did a coule of weeks before, but no luck!

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Helena

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m534/helena1958/MISCELLANEOUS%20SHARING%20STUFF/gcpicc hanged.jpg

• 1. Re: Help needed to determine what I did to colour a photo please?
          Raizcorp Level 1

Not sure of what aplied effect this woudl be- but it looks like it was desaturated and then had a texture placed over it on another layer.

Another option that strikes me was one of the monchrome filters, a very toned down sepia filter initially and then a texture file layer. 

Not sure if that is of any help, but hopefully it will help jog your memory

• 2. Re: Help needed to determine what I did to colour a photo please?
            wojtczak Level 1

Thank you for replying.

I don't know how to make layers, so that can be discounted.

However, now you come to mention it, I WAS initially going for a sepia effect ... so I probably applied that.. but definitely not a layer afterwards ... any other idea?

BTW the MOST mysterious thing of all to me is that the face, hair, coat, background etc are all different colours, but I definitely did not colour them separately, or use layers, as I have no idea how to do either.

• 3. Re: Help needed to determine what I did to colour a photo please?
              Raizcorp Level 1

The difficult part of gettign this effect is the change in texture in the two, which is why my first thought was of a texture file. 

A similar effect may have been done using one of the artistic filters under the "Filter Gallery", my first thought would be to try the smudge stick and see how that works.  Also look at the various charcoa options, they can give that colouring when destarurated and may be used to that effect

• 4. Re: Help needed to determine what I did to colour a photo please?
                wojtczak Level 1

Definitely wasn't any kind of stick... the one thing I remember is that I did not touch up PARTS of the picture with any kind of tool... it was only done applying effects to the whole picure in one go... do you think I will ever get to the bottom of this and be able to replicate the lovely effect that I accidentally created?

Thanks again for taking an interest,

Helena

• 5. Re: Help needed to determine what I did to colour a photo please?
                  Raizcorp Level 1

Learn to use layers- you should be able to easily recreate this with the correct texture file and blend mode.  of ypu followed more than one step to get that effect, ot could be a lot of different textures.

Umm, and the artistic effects can be applied to the [icture as a whole- the "smudge stick" is just the name of that particular artistic filter, but it is applied to the whole picture at once.

• 6. Re: Help needed to determine what I did to colour a photo please?
                    wojtczak Level 1

Oh, I see! Didn't know that. Learn to use layers.... oh dear.... this is going to be a lot harder than I thought, isn't it?

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Help needed to determine what I did to colour a photo please?
                      Raizcorp Level 1

Its a lot easier than you realise.  Once you start playing you'll wonder how you ever managed without them.  it also means its much easier to track back on what you did snce it is a good discipline for each filter/effect to be on a different layer.  Afterwards you can just look at the layers and see what you have done

• 8. Re: Help needed to determine what I did to colour a photo please?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Only a guess, but it looks like you might have used Threshold (to alter the Contrast of the Image, removing the gray from the original), and then perhaps a Duo-tone, to get the "Sepia" look. That sepia could be accomplished via several routes. It could also be with Color Correction, as well.

Since you mention, above, that you did not add any Layers, that probably rules out Adjustment Layers, such as Hue/Saturation. [I would definitely learn a bit more about Adjustment Layers, as that will give you a non-destructive way to accomplish many things, and if one does a Save_As to PSD, with all Layers and Adjustment Layers intact, they can always re-edit, plus can see exactly what they have done.]

Good luck, and remember, the above are only guesses on my part.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Help needed to determine what I did to colour a photo please?
                          Noel Carboni Level 8

I'd say you selected the Brush Tool, chose some colors, and set the Brush to "Color" mode, then panted over parts of the image.  Likely you did this several different times with several different colors.  You could not have made the multiple colors with just global (image-wide) operations.

BrushColor.jpg

Maybe also some Dodging of individual channels (e.g., Green channel with the Dodge tool set to Highlights).

-Noel

• 10. Re: Help needed to determine what I did to colour a photo please?
                            wojtczak Level 1

Thanks Hunt.

Hi Noel

I definitely did not do that.

The one thing I remember really well was applying something to the whole image, possibly several things, and being amazed that it looked like I had hand-coloured different sections. I don't even know how to do that, and not having a tablet I could never have accurately painted one part without smearing it over to another. However, your rendition does look a bit like the effect I got.

I cannot work out how I got his face yellowy but the background pinkish. Weird!

This program really is huge and I can't really spend months learning it all just to fix one single picture. It's all a bit frustrating!

All I need to find out is how to recreate what I did so I can do it to the new image I have .....

I HAVE REMEMBERED SOMETHING!

I started with de-saturate... then image/adjustments/variations, "select more red once and more yellow once" -- this was something I got after googling how to apply sepia in Photoshop 7.

That gave me the sepia .... what did I do after that?

Helena

• 11. Re: Help needed to determine what I did to colour a photo please?
                              wojtczak Level 1

OK I have made the photo sepia, and have been through every possible effect, but I cannot recreat the different colour in different sections effect. I can only make the whole pic redder, ro greener, or bluer.

I cannot have used the dodge tool since I did not even know what it was or where it was till ten minutes ago :-)

• 12. Re: Help needed to determine what I did to colour a photo please?
                                wojtczak Level 1

Can any of you recreate the original effect I obtained in my original photo (for a fee of course!) from my new photo?

• 13. Re: Help needed to determine what I did to colour a photo please?
                                  Noel Carboni Level 8

For the future, if you should want to jog your memory, you might consider enabling Photoshop's detailed History Logging.

HistoryLogSetting.png

-Noel