17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2012 8:50 PM by alayna11

I can't edit my edge file with notepad ++ How can I get my clients to edit their html page?

alayna11 Level 1

Hi

I have made an adobe edge page with a food menu on it. I was hoping when it was done I could get my clients to login to the page with the cpanel wysiwyg editor and just change the text items/food menu as required.

But when I try to edit the text, either in notepad ++ or the cpanel editor Nothing Happens. The text changes in notepad ++ but when I press save the published file still looks exactly the same as it was before with no updates done.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

• 1. Re: I can't edit my edge file with notepad ++ How can I get my clients to edit their html page?
          resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Interesting. I use notepad++ on a regular basis when I want to update some code but do not want to get into AE and I had not problem so far. What file are you trying to edit?

• 2. Re: I can't edit my edge file with notepad ++ How can I get my clients to edit their html page?
            alayna11 Level 1

I have blocks of text I have typed in, menu items. Just wanted to be able to edit those with the cpanel or notepad ++ editor instead of opening Adobe Edge. It's really annoying - I hope there is a solution to it.

• 3. Re: I can't edit my edge file with notepad ++ How can I get my clients to edit their html page?
              alayna11 Level 1

THIS IS THE FILE. DOWN THE BOTTOM WHERE IS SAYS OPENING HOURS FOR EXAMPLE. I was hoping to be able to just change the text with a cpanel wysiwyg editor - so my clients can update their pages.

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge"/>

<title>Louis-Place-Cafe</title>

<!--Adobe Edge Runtime-->

<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8" src="menu_edgePreload.js"></script>

<style>

.edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe { visibility:hidden; }

</style>

<!--Adobe Edge Runtime End-->

</head>

<body style="margin:0;padding:0;">

<div id="Stage" class="EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe">

<div id="Stage_Group" class="edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe">

<div id="Stage_homebtn" class="edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe" title="home">

<div id="Stage_homebtn_normal"></div>

<div id="Stage_homebtn_over"></div>

<div id="Stage_homebtn_down"></div>

<div id="Stage_homebtn_Label">Label</div>

<div id="Stage_homebtn_transparentHitArea"></div>

</div>

<div id="Stage_menusbtn" class="edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe" title="menus">

<div id="Stage_menusbtn_normal"></div>

<div id="Stage_menusbtn_over"></div>

<div id="Stage_menusbtn_down"></div>

<div id="Stage_menusbtn_Label">Label</div>

<div id="Stage_menusbtn_transparentHitArea"></div>

</div>

<div id="Stage_specialsbtn" class="edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe" title="specials">

<div id="Stage_specialsbtn_normal"></div>

<div id="Stage_specialsbtn_over"></div>

<div id="Stage_specialsbtn_down"></div>

<div id="Stage_specialsbtn_Label">Label</div>

<div id="Stage_specialsbtn_transparentHitArea"></div>

</div>

<div id="Stage_contactbtn" class="edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe" title="contact">

<div id="Stage_contactbtn_normal"></div>

<div id="Stage_contactbtn_over"></div>

<div id="Stage_contactbtn_down"></div>

<div id="Stage_contactbtn_Label">Label</div>

<div id="Stage_contactbtn_transparentHitArea"></div>

</div>

<div id="Stage_aboutbtn" class="edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe" title="about">

<div id="Stage_aboutbtn_normal"></div>

<div id="Stage_aboutbtn_over"></div>

<div id="Stage_aboutbtn_down"></div>

<div id="Stage_aboutbtn_Label">Label</div>

<div id="Stage_aboutbtn_transparentHitArea"></div>

</div>

</div>

<div id="Stage_Text2" class="edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe">Mon to Sat 8.30 am to 5.30 pm  - T: 8????????? - E: enquries@louisplacecafe.com.au</div>

<div id="Stage_A4_wide_large_transBG" class="edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe"></div>

<div id="Stage_A4_wide_large_transBGCopy" class="edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe"></div>

<div id="Stage_drawingv4_png" class="edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe"></div>

<div id="Stage_drawingv4_png_mirror" class="edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe"></div>

<div id="Stage_slogan" class="edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe">Louis' Place Cafe - Aldinga's finest all day breakfast cafe<br></div>

<div id="Stage_Text" class="edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe">Menu</div>

<div id="Stage_TextCopy4" class="edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe">Menu</div>

<div id="Stage_TextCopy5" class="edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe">Breakfast:</div>

<div id="Stage_TextCopy" class="edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe">Breakfast -<br></div>

<div id="Stage_TextCopy6" class="edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe"> Mon to Fri 8.30 am - 12 noon and all day Saturday xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</div>

<div id="Stage_TextCopy3" class="edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe">Breakfast - Mon to Fri 8.30 am - 12 noon and all day Saturday</div>

<div id="Stage_TextCopy2" class="edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe">Lunch - </div>

<div id="Stage_TextCopy7" class="edgeLoad-EDGE-LouisPlaceCafe">Mon to Sat 11.30 am - 4 pm</div>

</div>

</body>

</html>

• 4. Re: I can't edit my edge file with notepad ++ How can I get my clients to edit their html page?

OK. I think that if you open the file by clicking on it, it will not save over. So try to open the file from inside notepad++ and see if it will save.

• 6. Re: I can't edit my edge file with notepad ++ How can I get my clients to edit their html page?
                  alayna11 Level 1

It's referencing text that was made in edge - i think that's where the problem is.

• 7. Re: I can't edit my edge file with notepad ++ How can I get my clients to edit their html page?

Still it is strange. I copy/pasted your code and it saves here after adding some lines of code but of course I am not in your environment and I do not have the rest of the files that may be interfering..

• 8. Re: I can't edit my edge file with notepad ++ How can I get my clients to edit their html page?

Try to copy/paste your whole file out of the edge folder and see if you can edit it. Then override the file when you are done.

• 9. Re: I can't edit my edge file with notepad ++ How can I get my clients to edit their html page?
                        alayna11 Level 1

Yes that edits the file as I knew it would, but then it's not an edge file though. Soon as I put it back in it's correct folder where it should be the changes I have been are ignored and the text (that is contained within an Edge File) is what is shown.

That does not fix the problem.

I want to find out if there is some way a cms can be integrated - so clients can update simple blocks of text.

• 10. Re: I can't edit my edge file with notepad ++ How can I get my clients to edit their html page?

So, if I understand well, you want your users to be able to edit some information on the page but of course they would not open Edge for that. I think that maybe you should have your data in a json file and this would be easily editable without touching any of the Edge files. Of course I have not idea of the structure of your project so it may be completely off. You could make an editor that would write to the json file and then that would update your data.

• 11. Re: I can't edit my edge file with notepad ++ How can I get my clients to edit their html page?
                            alayna11 Level 1

cheers, I am just embedding the edge files into dreamweaver, and then using normal text blocks in dreamweaver. Bit annoying work around, but it works. Was just hoping to be able to do a whole website with Adobe Edge alone.

Thanks anyway.

• 12. Re: I can't edit my edge file with notepad ++ How can I get my clients to edit their html page?
                              alayna11 Level 1

It would be helpful if someone from Adobe Technical could answer the question, whenever they have some time. I can't find anything about this anywhere else. Thanks.

• 15. Re: I can't edit my edge file with notepad ++ How can I get my clients to edit their html page?
                                elainecc Adobe Employee

Hi, Alayna-

My understanding from looking at your file is that you are animating elements that you created within Dreamweaver, which is certainly supported.  I was just able to create a simple test file where I created HTML, then opened it in Animate, applied some animations to it, and then edited the file in Dreamweaver for text.  This all seems to work.  You will need to be very careful with how the WYSIWIG editor treats the HTML editor, because your animation will break if the editor decides it wants to get rid of the reference to Edge Animate.

You can also create everything in Animate itself and edit the text elements, though I would not recommend that you allow a WYSIWIG editor on the file we write out to, as it's in a very specific format.  Once you publish, it becomes even more complex to edit.

If you're working with a customer with very limited technical expertise, you might want to consider the dynamic data approach that resdesign suggested and either read an XML JSON structure or, even easier, some kind of text file that you can suck in, parse, and insert dynamically into your Edge Animation project.  It would protect your project file from potential customer injections and also decrease your support cost.

Hope this feedback helps!

-Elaine

• 16. Re: I can't edit my edge file with notepad ++ How can I get my clients to edit their html page?
                                  alayna11 Level 1

Hi

Thanks both of you for your feedback. I don't know anything about Json - so prob would be a bit much to try to learn that right now as I need this finished by tonight. But if you could send a link possibly on how the json structure works that'd be very useful.

The file I posted there is printed direct from Edge. I pressed 'render content as static html' - just so I could show you how I am trying to edit the text blocks and where they are. When I publish the content (as static html) from edge - I then try to open it with a plain text editor (doesn't have to be a wysiwyg editor) - I write some text changes in. They appear to be there and appear to be saved - but then when I run in browser the only text that's there is what edge made.

If you could send some easy instructions on how to suck in a text file that'd be really great. Although I wouldn't want the text file showing up in html searches, as that is what was happening with some of my Flash websites. I don't want to put 'no search' tags in if I can help it either, as would like content to be SE friendly.

Cheers

alayna

• 17. Re: I can't edit my edge file with notepad ++ How can I get my clients to edit their html page?
                                    alayna11 Level 1

Also what I am animating are PNG files or jpegs that I have brought into edge. Just as a banner slideshow. The text is just in blocks - I just wanted to do the whole thing in edge but then have it so the client can edit their text after.

If anyone knows of an easy way to do this please let me know.

Thanks.