9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2012 12:12 PM by Sami Artur

Font Converter .ps to .otf

BEGINNER_X Level 3

Hi ALL,

Any font converter or any solution from postscript fonts(.ps)  to open type fonts(.otf).

Font i want to convert is "SassoCPMPri"

Can anyone give solution for this.

Regards

BEGINNER

• 1. Re: Font Converter .ps to .otf
          Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

My choise is FontLab Studio 5.

• 2. Re: Font Converter .ps to .otf
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

But does it open a ".ps" file? (Which is not a "postscript font".)

• 3. Re: Font Converter .ps to .otf
              Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

I guess by "postscript fonts" the OP means Type 1 fonts which are opened by FontLab (both Mac Type 1 and Win Type 1 versions). It also opens "OpenType PS" fonts. Of course, it doesn't open ".ps" files that are used for creating pdf-files via Distiller.

• 4. Re: Font Converter .ps to .otf

If the original indeed is a *regular* PostScript font (i.e., a .pfb Type 1) then there is no reason to convert it to an .otf file. There are no advantages AT ALL, and possibly a few disadvantages due to the process of conversion itself.

The OP gives NO details at all. (One would be, "why ask this in the InDesign Scripting Forum?") Based on the file name, though, I think it's a Mac-flavoured PostScript Type 1 font. Mac-flavoured Type 1 fonts are regular .pfb files, except that they have been wrapped in a binary wrapper. Removing the wrapper is straightforward (<g> even with Javascript, but I *seriously* doubt it was the OP's intention all along) but there must be tons of tools to do this as well.

I *think* the actual problem which the OP failed to mention is that InDesign can use regular Type 1 pfbs but not the Mac-wrapped ones.

• 5. Re: Font Converter .ps to .otf
                  siva k Level 1

Hi,

My choise is CrossFont application.

• 6. Re: Font Converter .ps to .otf
                    Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

If the original indeed is a *regular* PostScript font (i.e., a .pfb Type 1) then there is no reason to convert it to an .otf file. There are no advantages AT ALL, and possibly a few disadvantages due to the process of conversion itself.

The main advantage is that you can use a single file both on Mac and PC.

I haven’t found any issues while converting fonts: the text didn’t reflow at all with converted fonts. OpenType has two versions: PS (*.otf) and TrueType (*.ttf). As long as you convert a Type 1 font to otf-version and a TrueType font to ttf-version, you shouldn’t have any problems. In other words, don’t convert TrueType to otf, or Type 1 to ttf because they have different measurement systems (FontLab gives you a warning in this case).

Another good reason to use FontLab is when you want to use an old font with non-English characters. When we switched from Quark to InDesign back in 2001, the main challenge was that about 99% of our fonts were incompatible with InDesign: most of them didn’t display Cyrillic characters; some of them displayed Russian characters but not Ukrainian. Then the only option was to move the Cyrillic glyphs to correct places in FontLab.

• 7. Re: Font Converter .ps to .otf
                      Sami Artur Level 1

Convert the .ps file to pdf using adobe distiller them download and install Fontforge:

http://fontforge.org/   (windows, linux and mac)

or

windows version auto exec.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fontforge/files/fontforge-source/

Open the font using the option: extract from pdf.

Kasyan Servetsky is right. Type 1 - generate font  - opentype CFF.

Only the glyphs in PDF will be in the font.

Don't forget to correct the font name in: Element - Font Info.

Sami

• 8. Re: Font Converter .ps to .otf

> Only the glyphs in PDF will be in the font.

That's exactly my point. What about kerning, for example? (A tell-tale sign of a font that was illegally ripped from a sample PDF is that all kerning is missing.)

• 9. Re: Font Converter .ps to .otf
                          Sami Artur Level 1

Agreed.

Not only the kerning but many (or all) opentype features and hinting will be lost.

Extracting a font from a PDF only if you are out of time, because is it the last option to correct a PDF or replace a text.

If you are a Printing Bureau always ask for the font from your client.

Sami