19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2012 7:36 AM by mknayman

Keyframe artifacts?

mknayman

Strange artifact when animating footage: http://files.mknayman.com/weird.png I have animated a progressive clip to animate from off screen to on screen in 10 frames. Each frame looks like a distinct, still image in Premiere, but when I render our to prores, progressive scan, I get these lines and frame blending (blending turned off) Thoughts?

• 1. Re: Keyframe artifacts?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Viewed how after export?

Only to ProRes?  Or all export formats?

• 2. Re: Keyframe artifacts?
            Dragonspear Level 1

Are you sure it's progressive? The image you posted looks like it has artifacts of interlaced video in it. If it is, in fact, a progressive video (just click on it in your project bin and look at the settings PPro lists at the top of the project window) then I would check your prores settings to make sure your frame rate and video format settings match your project timeline.

The easiest test is to export as something else, like an h.264 file.  See if you have the same problem in other export formats and then report back.

• 3. Re: Keyframe artifacts?
              mknayman Level 1

I am totally sure the footage going in, and the footage coming out should be progressive...
              http://files.mknayman.com/progressive.png

Those are my settings. I am importing footage from a Canon 7D at 23.976. I am using the cs6 preset for 24p DSLR footage. I am exporting to Apple Pro Res HQ 1920x1080 23.976
              Nothing should be interlaced, and I get no interlace artifacts, excep on items which have keyframe animation.
              However, if I run the exported clip through mpeg streamclip and check off "deinterlace", the footage DOES deinterlace...
              When I export in mp4, I don't get artifacts.
              BUT my prores preset says it IS progressive...

General

Editing mode: Custom

Timebase: 23.976fps

Video Settings

Frame size: 1920h 1080v (1.0000)

Frame rate: 23.976 frames/second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)

Fields: No Fields (Progressive Scan)

Audio Settings

Sample rate: 48000 samples/second

Default Sequence

Total video tracks: 3

Master track type: Stereo

Audio Tracks:

Audio 1: Standard

Audio 2: Standard

Audio 3: Standard

• 4. Re: Keyframe artifacts?
                Dragonspear Level 1

However, if I run the exported clip through mpeg streamclip and check off "deinterlace", the footage DOES deinterlace...

When I export in mp4, I don't get artifacts.

BUT my prores preset says it IS progressive...

With that all being the case, I think it's safe to say it is a problem with the prores codec and/or its settings. I don't have access to all the prores settings you could change here (I'm on PC) but I'm certain that's your problem.  Especially if exporting in other formats looks fine.

Questions: Why export in prores? Do you need it to export as prores as opposed to another format?

Couple ideas (aside from verifying all your prores settings)

1. make sure you have the most current prores codec.
                2. If it's not "required" you have prores, use another codec. I really like the Avid DNxHD codec. It looks fantastic and doesn't kill your memory.

If you're dead set on using prores, try sending a screenshot of your prores codec options screens and lets see if we can figure this baby out^^

• 5. Re: Keyframe artifacts?
                  mknayman Level 1

I'd like to stick with ProRes. It's my codec of choice, my coworkers all use it, and it's great in AE.
                  Here is a link that shows how my custom ProRes 422 preset is set up
                  Prores.png

You'll notice it says Progressive Scan...

If I delve into that preset, you'll see this.Prores2.png

This also says progressive scan...
                  And if I click on configure for video previews, I get this...Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 9.38.58 PM.png

Interlace ain't checked...

This really should be fairly straight forward...

• 6. Re: Keyframe artifacts?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

You missed a question.

Viewed how after export?

• 7. Re: Keyframe artifacts?
                      mknayman Level 1

Hey Jim,

It occurs when viewed in ANY way... in quicktime... compressed and uploaded to Youtube... in VLC....

So why is a preset that is progressive, and has all its settings set to progressive, and is using progressive footage, creating interlaced exports? And why can I only see the interlacing on keyframed motion?

• 8. Re: Keyframe artifacts?
                        Dragonspear Level 1

Ah, mknayman, that all looks good, but what I'm asking for is not your

sequence settings. I believed you when you mentioned the sequence settings

were correct.  What I believe may be causing the problem is during the

EXPORT process with the actual codec settings.

Typically during export one has the option in the video tab to delv into

the codec settings and make changes.  THAT's the screen shots I'd like to

see _

Ctrl/Cmd+M

Show me your export process^^

• 9. Re: Keyframe artifacts?
                          mknayman Level 1

Here ya go...Screen Shot 2012-12-20 at 1.47.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2012-12-20 at 1.47.32 PM.png
                          The second image is what you get after you click "Codec settings" under video codec

• 10. Re: Keyframe artifacts?
                            Dragonspear Level 1

Unless you've done so already, while in the export window scrub to an area

of your video that you know shows the problem well. Export just that short

selection of time to make this trial and error process less painful^^

Check "Render at Maximum Depth"

Check "Use Maximum Render Quality"

Uncheck "use previews"

Now render.

What does it look like?

• 11. Re: Keyframe artifacts?
                              Dragonspear Level 1

Additionally, did this only just recently start happening?

If someone else you work with uses the same codec does it happen for them?

Does it happen for them if you give them the same project/footage to export?

Make sure your video driver is up to date. ___ Think it is? Go to the

manufacturer site and make sure! Auto updates are not as reliable as one

might think.

• 12. Re: Keyframe artifacts?
                                mknayman Level 1

Done and done... still have artifacts..

When I run it through mpegstreamclip, I can deinterlace it, so it is Interlacing somewhere...

It does not show any interlacing on the timeline when scrubbing or during playback... it is definately in the export.
                                I am not using previews, and I have maximum quality set

My previews render in prores as well, so but don't show artifacts.

I have an nvidia quadro 4000 AND an ATI 5760 (just to drive additional monitors) I have had no conflicts, and it shouldn't be interlacing progressive footage?!

I don't know how long it's been happening, because I can only see the artifacts when something is keyframed, and I usually do all my animation in AE. This is the first project in a while where I have KFd anything in premiere, and noticed it.
                                When I examine my exported video, it appears to be progressive despite being interlaced... Screen Shot 2012-12-20 at 2.20.48 PM.png

Perhaps that will help?

• 13. Re: Keyframe artifacts?
                                  mknayman Level 1

Woah woah woah... wait.

Just for a lark,  I clicked "interlaced" button in the codec settings, which should be turning interlaced ON.... but now it's coming out progressive!?

Could it be that this button is broken in Premiere?!

• 14. Re: Keyframe artifacts?
                                    mknayman Level 1

Wait... nope. False alarm... but I might be on to something.

• 15. Re: Keyframe artifacts?
                                      mknayman Level 1

Nope. Nevermind. I dunno what happened there...
                                      So please see this attache dimage. I have noticed that under the sequence, it says the word PROGRESSIVE but under the output, it doesnt... I thought 23.976  could ONLY be progresive... what is up here?

Screen Shot 2012-12-20 at 2.34.53 PM.png

• 16. Re: Keyframe artifacts?
                                        Dragonspear Level 1

Hmm. wow. Can attach a short clip to confirm it's not any of your players?

Are you saying that your still frames (the ones that look frame-blended and

interlaced) look like this when you view it in premiere and/or AE?

Do make sure your quadro card is updated.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Do the problem areas look fine when you freeze on the raw footage frames

before export?

Also...I noticed you didn't have "Render at Maximum Depth" selected. Check

mark that if you haven't been.

• 17. Re: Keyframe artifacts?
                                          mknayman Level 1

They DO NOT look like this when viewed in Premiere BEFORE export...

They DO look like this when viewed in any player AFTER EXPORT

BUT.... they do not look interlaced in Premiere AFTER re-importing the exported files..

if you're still interested in helping me sort this out, you can download a package with a prores clip, an mp4 clip, and screencaptures of the export window for each.
                                          it's at http://files.mknayman.com/prores_issue.zip (about 10 minutes away from being done uploading, about 52mb)

I am almost certain that it is just my Prores export setup, but I cannot find ANYTHING that says it's interlace. The interlace box is unchecked... and 23.976 should ONLY be able to be progressive.
                                          However, I have noticed that other presets do explicitly say PROGRESSIVE, wheras the Prores 422 HQ preset I made does not...

• 18. Re: Keyframe artifacts?
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8

I can only think that ProRes is simply not encoding correctly.

Try MXF OP1a using the AVC-I 100 codec instead.  It'll be just as good.

• 19. Re: Keyframe artifacts?
                                              mknayman Level 1

I'm gonna keep tinkering with it, and I'll let you know what I figure out.

Is anyone on here using ProRes successfully?