14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2012 8:19 PM by hammy3000

Capturing VHS-C footage: Will this method work?

hammy3000 Level 1

Ok, I'm new to the whole Video and Digital manipulation realm, but I wanted to run this by everybody before I tried it out.

Two questions:

1. Would this work:

- Capturing at DVD quality (I mean, it's VHS-C tapes, not exactly IMAX level stuff)

2. I'm using my S-VHS player and my DV player as a bridge to my computer. Which of these two is better/higher quality (or either I guess):

a. Plug my s-video into my vcr and dv player, then usb into my computer, then capture that video using the dv camera as a bridge

OR

b. S-video into my dv and vcr, capture the footage onto my DV camera, then import that captured footage from the DV camera.

• 1. Re: Capturing VHS-C footage: Will this method work?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

VHS-c is never up to DVD quality standards.

Capture is only possible when connecting the VHS deck, preferably over S-video to a DV camera or deck and outputting from the camera or deck over firewire to the PC. USB will not work.

• 2. Re: Capturing VHS-C footage: Will this method work?
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1. Capturing with Premiere will only be dv-avi.

2a. USB wont work,

2B. Best solution but make sure the vcr has real s-video. Otherwise you will need composiet cables.

• 3. Re: Capturing VHS-C footage: Will this method work?
              hammy3000 Level 1

Huh. I don't know. I did option "a" a while ago as a test run and it worked. Am I magic??

I literally:

s-video from VCR to miniDV camera, usb'd from miniDV into pc, and live captured the footage.

But I'm not sure if doing that loses quality (vs just capturing it directly onto the mini-dv tape then importing it in). I guess that's essentially the question.

• 4. Re: Capturing VHS-C footage: Will this method work?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

From tape you can not 'import', you can only capture and that only works over firewire.

• 5. Re: Capturing VHS-C footage: Will this method work?
                  hammy3000 Level 1

Right, capturing/importing whatever that's what I meant, but... I have already done this using the first method. It already happened. Maybe there was a glitch in the matrix, but I did exactly that, as in, s-video out in VCR to s-video in the DV camcorder, then I used a mini-usb out to a usb in the computer and I captured the footage coming off the usb. I swear on a thousand suns I did this and I could take pictures if needed. All I really want to know is if that is a lower qualtiy than recording directly onto tape.

• 6. Re: Capturing VHS-C footage: Will this method work?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

That might be helpful, since your workflow as you described is just not possible.

Right, capturing/importing whatever that's what I meant, but...

If you don't use the proper terms, how do you expect anybody to understand what you mean if we can't look over your shoulder?

"What do you think of current days American politics, and if yes, why not?"

If you can give me a clear answer to that question, you are a magician, but we are not.

• 7. Re: Capturing VHS-C footage: Will this method work?
                      hammy3000 Level 1

I'm really sorry, I have to write a lot of tough essays at my school and if you don't have word diversity they get angry. I keep forgetting I'm describing a technical process.

I am -capturing- footage in both processes. Just in the first process, I am -capturing- directly from VCR to my miniDV camera to a pc through a USB.

In the second process I'm -recording- footage onto a miniDV tape, then -capturing- it into a PC.

The first scenario saves me a step, so I came here to ask if it was better or not.

I'm getting pictures of my setup, should be here in a few seconds. Thanks for all your help thus far!

• 8. Re: Capturing VHS-C footage: Will this method work?
                        hammy3000 Level 1

Alright, here's a photo album of exactly what I do step by step:

http://imgur.com/a/bqkD9

• 9. Re: Capturing VHS-C footage: Will this method work?
                          idar lettrem Level 1

If You can get your hands on a canopus advc 55 you'd have a perfect solution to these kind of tasks.

• 10. Re: Capturing VHS-C footage: Will this method work?
                            SFL46 Level 3

If you are passing the video through your DV camcorder using AV-DV option, the camcorder is converting the AV to DV, the camera would do the same if you were recording that input to tape.  Either way it is DV.  When you capture DV via Firewire, you are capturing a stream of binary data that meets the DV IEEE1394 standard.  It makes no difference if the stream comes from the pass-through, or from recording to tape first and then capturing the tape.  There is no change in quality loss between the methods.  Recognize however, the source was only VHS and the DV copy by either method can't be better than the VHS.

As for USB, I do not believe that Premiere pro can capture a USB input, the Premierr pro miniDV/HDV option is only for IEEE1394 capture.

Your USB connection may be passing through a camera-specific utility and being recorded as a AVI file on your HDD.  You then have to import that file to Premiere using the project panel

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Capturing VHS-C footage: Will this method work?
                              hammy3000 Level 1

SFL46, thanks so much. I completely understand I'm bottlenecked by the VHS standard, but would you recommend one method over another? As in, would you recommend live capturing through my camera to my pc, or recording it onto my minidv then capturing? Does it make any difference?

• 12. Re: Capturing VHS-C footage: Will this method work?
                                SFL46 Level 3

As I stated, the IEEE1394 transfer is a binary transfer, whether the source is being passed through or is recorded on a Tape and then captured.  A bit is a bit.  A bit cannot be degraded in a transfer.  the biggest source of degradation is the step between VHS and your DV device, once the signal is in the DV device it is output via firewire as a pass though, or recorded on tape.  Unless there is a problem with your DV device, the bits on the tape will match the bits on the passthorugh.

• 13. Re: Capturing VHS-C footage: Will this method work?
                                  wfmc staffer Level 2

This might be helpful. I have a panasonic dv camera that has a unique function that will stream DV data over usb2. I assume that you are doing that same thing. Expect the capture to end or crash when the analog signal going into the camera drops out. You must manually control the capture's start and stop.

Also...... after seeing your process... You could run into macrovision copy protection issues. Those old VHS tapes where made not to be copied in this manor.

• 14. Re: Capturing VHS-C footage: Will this method work?
                                    hammy3000 Level 1

Oh, haha, I was just using Star Wars as an example, it's literally the only non-home-video VHS I have left. I'm only transferring over my old home movies. But, I discovered exactly as you say, that it will crash whenever the analog signal is dropped. I'm working with it, just have to babysit the camera as it captures. My parents were pretty good about not leaving gaps in the film so it's usually only once every twenty minutes or so. Thanks everybody for your help!