4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2012 9:10 AM by gdfupos

Broadcasting live sporting events

gdfupos

I'm currently working on helping a College increase their ability to broadcast at a higher level of quality. Right now their web streams are very choppy and even the output frame on FME is quite choppy which leads me to believe the PC they are running it on is just weaker than what they need. Now one of the biggest issues is it has to be a laptop for mobility broadcasting all sports as well as interviews.

Current System

M465-E Notebook

Intel® Core™ Processor Duo

667 MHz Front Side Bus (FSB)

Intel® 945GM Chipset with Integrated Graphics - Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950

Now I'm almost positive this system is just getting hammered trying to perform as a streaming system and I need to get some suggestions as to what they should look at buying for what they want to accomplish. They are streaming directly off the camera system the input size is 720X480 the video window on the Athletics site is 640X360. We want to push has high of quality broadcasts as possible!

The ultimate goal here is the ability to stream as close to HD quality as possible as the cameras are HD as well. I would like to get them streaming in h.264 instead of VP6 they aren't really badnwidth restricted they are currently streaming 2mb dedictaed to the video feed and could up it if they wanted to.

I can only start to assume what they need system wise as I have an i7 860 and have never experienced the choppy output window like they are. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and if there is any informaiton you would like to know I'd be more than happy to provide that informaiton as well.

Thank You

Jason

• 1. Re: Broadcasting live sporting events
          Harm Millaard Level 7

A lot more info is required to help you.

• From what cameras with which codec, resolution and framerate.
          • How is the output streamed, HD-SDI, HDMI, or another format.
          • What hardware/software do you use for streaming?
          • How do you downrez HD to 720x480 and then to 640x360?
          • What do you do to handle PAR?
          • What is the budget?

This laptop is way underpowered for anything HD.

• 2. Re: Broadcasting live sporting events
            gdfupos Level 1

I'll get back to you on the questions however there is no downrez I think you might have misread that. The input on the FME is 720X480 but the athletics website video frame is the 640X360 not saying it can't be changed it's just pretty standard for schools and the athletics sites through CBS Sports.

What do you do to handle PAR? I'm not sure what you are asking here. I can only assume you are talking about Pixel Aspect Ratio? But what is it you are wanting to know exactly?

Just pretend I know just about enough to be dangerous when it comes to streaming and articulate your quesitons from that stand point and I'll be able to better direct them to the Sports Marketing department and get proper answers for you.

Thank you for your help much appreciated!

• 3. Re: Broadcasting live sporting events
              Harm Millaard Level 7

720 x 480 is the typical resolution of SD DV material and with different PAR's (pixel aspect ratio's) it is used for 4 x 3 or 16 x 9 material. 640 x 360 is widescreen with square pixels. Full HD is either 1440 x 1080 with rectangular pixels or 1920 x 1080 with square pixels, so you can understand this is relevant info.

• 4. Re: Broadcasting live sporting events
                gdfupos Level 1

I would assume from all the informaiton I can gather they aren't doing anything about going from 720X480 down to 640X360. Since right now the limited streaming capabilities base don the hardware I don't think they are doing anything outside of changing the input to the 720X480 inside of FME and the output to 640X360 then putting it on the website.

They need to make a number of changes but it seems as the Computer is going to need to be the first change to improve quality and then I can contiue giving them recommendaitons as to what else needs to happen.