13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2012 8:50 PM by the_wine_snob

File name shows on playback

LivingstonAtLarge Level 1

Still tryng to navigate this learning curve so I can get some usable videos for stock.

For the first few seconds of my finished videos the file name shows and then fades out. How do I make this not happen?

Using Premier Elements 11

17" MacBook Pro

.MOV file from Canon T3i

1920x1080i 29.97

Also, is there a way to save this as an .MOV file when finished? It seems like the only output options are mpg, which then cannot be played on PE11 or, for some reason, QT. These are going for stock and they want .MOV

Thanks,

Ginger

• 1. Re: File name shows on playback
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Please explain what you mean by "For the first few seconds of my finished videos the file name shows and then fades out."

As for saving your finished video as an MOV, you can certainly do that. However, there are hundreds of types and levels of MOVs. Quicktime files, like AVIs, are envelopes which can hold any of hundreds of codecs.

What purpose are you trying to save your files for? You say for "stock". Is that full-resolution, high-quality standard DV or is that for high-def? How do you plan to distribute these stock files? Remember that full resolution DV and high-def files can be huge -- about 500 megabytes per minute of video. Are you able to facilitate files that size?

• 2. Re: File name shows on playback
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some reading that may help

Importing Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1065281

-and project settings http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1112086

Saving & Sharing http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1051093

Sharing for Computer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1058237

Steve's Basic Training Tutorials... steps are the same for several versions

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

• 3. Re: File name shows on playback

Hi Steve and John,

Thanks for the help. John, I am going to go check out all those links today. I am learning as fast as I can so everything is helpful. It's a vast world out there.

Steve (I knew after all the reading I've been doing here, I could count on you!)

For the first five-ish seconds of the video the name of the file such as CG-junco-01.mpg appears in very large script on the video at the bottom, then it fades out. I have not been able to figure out how to make this not happen. I uploaded it to YouTube to show you, and of course, it's not happening there. Does this mean only I am seeing it my video player, or does YouTube edit it out in their processing?

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPS4cBpMSTE)

I am making 5-10 second video clips for Shutterstock. (Birds eating seed, raindrops falling on a lake etc.) They handle all the distribution. They prefer the videos be delivered as .mov but state...."Footage submitted should be digital only and we will try to accommodate any file type, including DV, Windows Media, and QuickTime." So however I can save that will reach that goal is fine.

My origin files are HDV

.MOV file from Canon T3i

1920x1080i 29.97

4:3

SHUTTERSTOCK: "Footage must be at least 480 pixels in height with an aspect ratio of at least 4:3. We are asking that film clips try and abide by the NTSC standard of 29.97fps (frames per second) with a time limit no longer than 60 seconds. Film clips that are uploaded with the PAL standard of 25fps are also fine."

Other than that there is no other criteria. (Other than the normal...in focus, not shaky, properly lighted and other standards of general good video/photography.)

I bought Premier Elements as my editing software so I am having to learn the language of video vs photo .I'm finding out what they (the stock agencies) don't want one rejection at a time I learned about letterboxes earlier this week after all my clips were rejected. That's also part of the learning process, so I'm still having fun!

Thanks guys/gals for the help. I appreciate it and will gladly be paying it forward as I go along.

Ginger

• 4. Re: File name shows on playback

The name of the video file that appears briefly when you first play back the video has nothing to do with the file itself. That's your media player showing you the name of the file. You can usually bring it back up again if you hover your mouse over it as it's playing.

As for your video for Shutterstock, it kind of looks like they're looking for standard definition. You can output that using Publish & Share/Computer/MOV with the DV preset.

Meantime, as you're just learning the language of video, you may want to start by checking out my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials at Premierie Elements support site Muvipix.com.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

• 5. Re: File name shows on playback

YAY! Thanks Steve and John too....

Steve Grisetti wrote:

The name of the video file that appears briefly when you first play back the video has nothing to do with the file itself. That's your media player showing you the name of the file. You can usually bring it back up again if you hover your mouse over it as it's playing.

Ok..so now I feel sooooooooo well, not quite the "S" word. I didn't see you could SCROLL DOWN and all I thought I had were the first 3 options....Of course next down under those is QuickTime (and the other options)!

I now have pillars (It might be that I alwys did and didn't notice) but no letterboxes, but I'm hoping the tutorials will help with that?

You guys rock. Qutie an asset to Adobe as I know I can get some help and not get hopelessly frustrated.

I have the tutorials marked and will use them.

Thanks!

Ginger

• 6. Re: File name shows on playback
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Pillarboxing, like Letterboxing, indicates a mis-match between the Project's Preset, and the Source Footage (usually a difference in PAR), or if they show only upon Export/Share, then between the Project's Frame Size, and the output choices. Some output options allow one to alter the Frame Size, though many do not.

Are you seeing that Pillarboxing in the Program Monitor, when you play the Timeline, or in the output file?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: File name shows on playback
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If in the Program Monitor, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3797172#3797172

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: File name shows on playback

The video looks great on YouTube, Bill. No letterboxing or pillarboxing at all. So there's no indicatioin he's using the wrong settings.

• 9. Re: File name shows on playback
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I do agree on the YouTube example, the image fills the Frame, so not sure what this is about:

I now have pillars (It might be that I alwys did and didn't notice) but no letterboxes, but I'm hoping the tutorials will help with that?

That was why I asked where the Pillarboxing was showing up.

Hunt

• 10. Re: File name shows on playback

I don't see it in the YouTube, and I don't see it in the preview, but I do see it in the final check in VLC player. (For some reason QT still won't play the output .mov file. I get the "not supported message")

In looking closer at the output setting the width setting for NTSC DV was 1280x1080 , so I looked at the HD 1080i 29.97 H.264, AAC 48kHz option and that bumped it up to 1920x1080 I used that one instead of NTSC DV and Voila! The pillars are gone AND QT will playback.

(I feel smarter already.)

I also tested between "Upper First" and "Progressive" since in the back of my brain somewhere I heard "progressive" was better, but it seems to make the video play in sections instead on one smooth stream.

("He" is a "She" )

Steve, I did enjoy the videos and as soon as I gather a little more funds I'll be a subscriber, but you know in the meantime I'll spread the word. I have a pretty decent amount of traffic on my photo website  and the FB for it......and I am currently writing a stock photo blog that is going to also detail my dive in to video and that site of yours is pretty helpful so I'm happy to plug it.

I'm afraid you'll see more of me as I go along, but hopefully this will get my first video batch accepted, then I can go crazy(ier).

Thanks Guys!

Ginger

• 11. Re: File name shows on playback
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ginger,

Great news!

Not sure why QT Player would not played the Exported/Shared file, as the "black bars" are basically "synthetic video," not unlike using Black Video, say for the lead-in, or lead-out on a Video. I cannot think of a reason for that part of the equation, but will tuck it away, in hopes that it will help others in the future.

As you found, just that little mis-match (some players will fill the screen, pretty well, so Pillarboxing might not always show up properly) between 1280 and 1920 can show black bars.

When you have the opportunity to poke around Muvipix.com, do so. There are a lot of great, very helpful and interested (plus interesting) people there, with great tips abounding. Also, as there is less direct concentration on Adobe Products (still quite a bit, but not like here), there is much more general still & video discussion, plus discussions on other software, more in depth, than most of us go into here.

As it appears that one area of concentration for you, is nature, and especially birds, if you run across a nature shooter (primarily stills, but he's adding video), named Fred Lord, from Frisco, CO, please tell him that Hunt said "Hi!"

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 12. Re: File name shows on playback

Thanks Bill and Steve

I will certainly be poking around. As soon as I get this down I will be working on a larger project for video for something else and I'll want to learn the really fun stuff

I'll let you know when the stock stuff gets accepted!

Ginger

• 13. Re: File name shows on playback
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

There are two resources, that I can strongly recommend, and both are written by Steve Grisetti, our hard-working MOD here:

The Muvipix Guide to PrE 11, and then his Tips & Tricks book, that covers a lot of the "fun stuff."

Good luck,

Hunt