4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2012 9:54 PM by Pierre Devereux

Procedural/Workflow question

Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi all,

After finishing the CS6 Production Premium book, I decided to start afresh with the projects I am busy with. Last Friday we shot some more footage of one of the ships we are using. I have around 11 Scenes shot, a few takes of each. Following the book, I checked the files with Bridge, I ingested them with Prelude and used it to perform a rough cut - including metadata notes and markers stating in and out points of the footage (and any pieces in between I wanted cut out). I then took that cut to Premier, where, using the razor tool, I cut out the unwanted sections and was left with a series of scenes, back to back of the ship against the bluescreen. I then took each shot seperately and replaced them with an After Effects composition. In After Effects, I proceded to use the keying techniques I have just picked up from the other book I reading through (Mark Christiansen...you are a genius!) and have keyed out each of the shots rather well (I hope to get better at keying as I get more practice).

My question is now, as follows...

I need to place these ships against various background plates. Some of them will be created from scratch in After Effects (space scenes) and some are live footage shots of vistas and fields etc. In each of the shots, the models have real movement (done camera side). In some of the composites, the models movements will be sufficient, in others, I will have to animate them accross the background. The procudures in the book, was to put the forground and background together in Premier. As I see it, I have three choices, and I want to know if there is a reason to choose one above the other, or if this is a call I can make based on which I enjoy more!

1) Place background on seperate layer in Premier

2) Add background in After Effects, include models animation and timing in composition and have it linked to Premier (as the models layers currently are)

3) Add background in after effects (for reference only), do animations and composition for models then remove background layer and re add it in Premier

Logically, I assume that the 2nd choice makes more sense, I just want to confirm this, as having worked with the full suite for the first time now, I am very excited to see how all the products integrate so nicely. Since the choices are there, I want to make sure I am not missing a great workflow for the sake of shortcuts!

Thank you

Pierre

• 1. Re: Procedural/Workflow question
          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

If it were me, I'd manipulate with already linked AE comp, including placing background and creating all the animation, pre-composing some layers if necessary. Don't feel the needs to do a compositing work in PrPro.

• 2. Re: Procedural/Workflow question
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

Yup, I'm with Fuzzy:  do the entire composite in AE.  By doing so, you'll be able to use neat tricks like light wrap, a technique that helps incorporate the subject better with the background plate.

There's a third-party plugin that does light wrap -- sorry, I forget the name -- or you do it using only AE.  The AE-only process gets a little messy: lots of nested comps.

• 3. Re: Procedural/Workflow question
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Regarding light wraps: It's not all that messy in After Effects. See this:

http://provideocoalition.com/ryoung/story/how_to_light_wrap/

I show how to do this in After Effects CS6 Learn By Video, but I don't use anything different from what's in the article linked to above.

• 4. Re: Procedural/Workflow question
                Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi Fuzzy,

Thanks for the confirmation!

I started some of the compositing work yesterday while waiting for replies, and did it this way anyway. It works nicely, and then, once I am done in AE, if I have a rendered preview already, Premier does its render nice and fast. 3 Scenes done yesterday, 2 completed, one to finish touch ups today. It is so exciting to be at this point finally after 10 months! I have "final quality" footage, "final quality" backgrounds - let the compositing begin!

Dave,

Thanks for the tip. I am familiar with the light wrap, and a few techniques that I picked up from Todd, as well as some of the other books I have in my every growing Adobe library. I am currently experimenting with having a sliver thin edge matte and leaving that quite transparent so that the background bleeds through. I want to see how that looks, otherwise, light-wrap - it shall be.

Todd,

Thanks for the link. I have not got the new CS6 Learn by Vdeo yet, still the CS5 one, and some of the other books. But I do recall the light wrap techniques quite well. Ill put a few together for the team to evaluate, I am under the impression that light-wrap will work better for the characters and their backgrounds, rather than the ships, as they travel rather fast, and spend a lot of time in dark space backgrounds.

Anyway,

Thanks again all (oh, and on a personal note - STILL no teeth on young master Devereux! *sigh*) and I hope you all have a great holiday season - If you can stay away from the forum for more than 2 days - its a good start! - Ill be away for a week, but doubt Ill be able to stop myself checking in every other day!

Pierre