4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2012 2:10 PM by William GS

Please advice about fast reading/writing

William GS

Hi All,

I am building a custom system for Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4, I know this is not a PS forum but I think the hardware experts are here.

The components I have already selected are:

i7-3930k

ASUS P9X79 PRO

64GB RAM (GSKILL)

WD Caviar Black 1TB

Since I have enough RAM the scratch disk is not something to worry about, after reading this article about SSDs for PS:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-performance-photoshop-cs4-cs5.html#main_Solid _state_disks

I think a SSD is useful only when starting the applications (having them in the SSD), which is not important for me (I do it twice or three times per day). What I would like to do (and is the matter of this post) is to open and save my large pictures (700MB to 1+ GB) as kickly as posibble, is the Caviar Black a good choice or should I consider a SSD? What about a WD velociraptor? Also, I would appreciate advice about other options.

The last custom build I did was probably 8 years ago so I am not up to date with the hardware technology, I have learned a lot reading this great forum :-).

Thank you,

William Gonzales

• 1. Re: Please advice about fast reading/writing
          JEShort01 Level 4

William,

I use Photoshop CS5 and Bridge a lot and care particularly about how fast the PC can read since this dramatically impacts how fast you can process and rank lots of shots.

Bottom line...

Suggest in addition to whatever your boot drive is you configure a 2xRAID 0 7200rpm drive setup for your data. You have an extremely capable CPU and lots of RAM, so your disk speed is definitely a bottleneck.

Another alternative, although more expensive and quite a bit smaller would be one of the latest, fastest SSDs that can finally deliver on the write side. (i.e. Samsung 840 Pro and its competitors). This would be a secondary drive to whatever you have for your boot drive.

Another suggestion, is make sure you have a video card with good 2D speed. That is get one that can move lots of data; this spec. (Memory Bandwidth, often in GB/sec) is often buried since gaming and 3D features (cores, shading, memory size, etc.) are most important for most users. My video card, a GTX 480 has a memory bandwidth of 177.4 GB/sec, but probably any card with at least 80 GB/sec will probably work very well with your apps.

Regards,

Jim

• 2. Re: Please advice about fast reading/writing
            William GS Level 1

Jim,

Thank you so much for your time and valuable advices.

I have not used SSDs yet and it seems that the lifespan is someting to take care of and one of the things that affects it is extensive writings, is it something to worry about in a good SSD like the Samsumg 840 Pro?

Regards,

William

• 3. Re: Please advice about fast reading/writing
              JEShort01 Level 4

William,

No don't worry about the lifespan on SSDs for your planned usage. The reason I suggested a 2x RAID was to gain you both speed and size.

BTW, I have a third alternative for you; the best performing and most expensive of the three alternatives suggested:

256GB Samsung 840 Pro - Boot / OS + Bridge cache (and also whatever lightroom has that builds thumbnails like Bridge's cache space)

2x1TB WD Blacks - data, etc.

This is actually similar to how I have my PC set up. The cached thumbnails are small files, but there are lots of them. So putting them on a SSD is a pretty good fit. You say you do not care about the speed to start programs, but the SSD boot / programs drive will be a nice-to-have for that as well.

Regards,

Jim

• 4. Re: Please advice about fast reading/writing
                William GS Level 1

Jim,

I agree, I think it is the best option.

Thank you,

William