9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2012 1:41 PM by Barbara B.

Undoing/redoing crop

terracotta15

Picasa's Recrop feature restores the marquee from before you click Commit on a crop, which allows me to adjust or tweak the marquee. Is there an equivalent command in Photoshop Elements? It's a BIG time saver.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Undoing/redoing crop
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Simply drag the side handles or corner handles.

• 2. Re: Undoing/redoing crop
            terracotta15 Level 1

After you hit Commit on a crop, the marquee disappears along with the side handles or corner handles.

How can I undo the Commit command and restore the marquee to its exact location before I hit Commit on a crop?

• 3. Re: Undoing/redoing crop

Go back one step in the history panel.

If you cant see the panel click o9n the menu:

Window >> History

• 4. Re: Undoing/redoing crop
                terracotta15 Level 1

Thanks. The History command was grayed out until I switched from Quick mode to Expert mode. The History and the Undo command will undo the crop, but they do not restore the last crop marquee so I have to start the crop from scratch.

They also do not revert to "Fit on Screen" which would also be VERY handy.

This is how the Recrop command works on Picasa.  It undoes the crop, it restores the last crop marquee, and it reverts to "Fit on Screen". This feature has been available on Picasa for years. It's a great shortcut, and is a huge time saver!

• 5. Re: Undoing/redoing crop

The non destructive cropping feature is only available in Lightroom and CS6

• 6. Re: Undoing/redoing crop
                    terracotta15 Level 1

Thank you for letting me know.

That's disappointing. It's been free in Picasa for years.

• 7. Re: Undoing/redoing crop
                      MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Simply edit your files (not only raws, but jpegs) in ACR. The crop settings as well as the other settings are saved in the metadata section of the jpeg file, but the original picture is unchanged.

- Use 'Open As' with 'Camera raw option'. Use the crop and straighten tool as well as the other sliders until you get what you want. Then, unless you want to edit further in the Editor, click 'Done'. If you want to edit in the editor for additional tweaks, use 'Open' instead of 'Done', but then, save your result as a copy, just like in Picasa. The advantage of the ACR simple editing is that you don't need to save a copy.

Or... instead of using the crop tool, use the rectangular marquee tool to draw the outline of the crop. Save that selection for further use. You can save different selections to compare. When you are ready to crop with the selection active, use the menu image/crop. That's for use in an editing session without closing and saving the files. I you want to keep the selection(s) available, save in .psd format. That makes changing or undoing the crop possible from a saved file, just like when you use ACR as above.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Undoing/redoing crop
                        terracotta15 Level 1

Interesting. Don't know what ACR is. A web search refers to Adobe Camera Raw. When I went to download it for Mac, it appears to be only for CS, not for Photoshop Elements 11, which is the product I have.

Thanks.

• 9. Re: Undoing/redoing crop
                          Barbara B. Level 7

It is part of PSE, too. You don't need to download anything. Go to file>open, navigate to your photo (doesn't matter what format), then change the format menu to read Camera Raw before you click the Open button in that window.

Screen Shot 2012-12-20 at 4.40.26 PM.png