8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2012 11:10 AM by Noel Carboni

Photoshop CS4 too slow to open files

luca-dany

Hello all,

I have a problem, when I open a file on Photoshop CS4, the program open this slowly. I tried with image of various dimensions also 20kb and located on desktop, but photoshop it's always too slow.

Can you help me???

Thanks

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS4 too slow to open files
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nobody can even begin to guess without some system information...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS4 too slow to open files
            luca-dany Level 1

System Information:

CPU: i7 3.06 ghz

RAM: 12Gb

HD: SSD

I have the same problem with Windows Vista Ultimate

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS4 too slow to open files
              Noel Carboni Level 8

How slow is "too" slow?  Quantify that please.

Was it once faster and now it's slower (in other words, has it changed)?

Are you seeing slowness when opening files using File - Open in Photoshop, vs. starting from Bridge?

Honestly, you really aren't going to get useful help unless you open up and describe exactly what you're seeing.  No one here is watching what you do!

-Noel

• 4. Re: Photoshop CS4 too slow to open files
                luca-dany Level 1

I open photoshop in 5 seconds, when the program is open I open a image of 70kb in 8 seconds (I open the same image with iMac with similar hardware and the time to open it's 0,5 seconds)

When the images are more the wait is exaggerated

I don't use Bridge

More years ago the opening was fast, but now it's very slow. I have this problem from many time. When I have installed photoshop on new installation of Windows 8 the problem appeared immediately

I hope to explain correctly (english it isn't my mother language)

• 5. Re: Photoshop CS4 too slow to open files
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

One thing that can affect the document opening time is the establishment of the GPU-based display management.

As a test, go into the Edit - Preferences - Performance dialog and uncheck the [  ] Enable OpenGL setting, then close Photoshop completely.  Now restart Photoshop and try opening documents.  Do you see a substantial change in opening speed?

Of course, disabling OpenGL is not a viable long-term workaround, as you lose some features.  But if it DOES result in a radically different timing, you could try re-enabling it and going into the Advanced menu and trying the different settings there - for example unchecking every option.  Make sure you close and restart Photoshop after ANY configuraiton change so that you're sure you're testing the new settings.

Good luck.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Photoshop CS4 too slow to open files
                    luca-dany Level 1

the performance aren't improve

• 7. Re: Photoshop CS4 too slow to open files
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Is your system's default printer a network attached device?

If so, either select a locally connected printer, or create a generic printer, that is the default, and is shown as locally connected.

You can still print to the networked printers, but having the default as a locally connected device, will often speed up Image Opening.

Good luck, and hope that is the problem.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Photoshop CS4 too slow to open files
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

Is your system hard on the disk the whole time you're starting Photoshop (as indicated by a disk access light)?

Is your SSD the only drive in your system?

I wonder if somehow  you're having trouble with the SSD, causing very slow access.

-Noel