3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2012 6:26 AM by Petteri_Paananen

Add underscores in index?

thatsnotmyname__ Level 1

Hey guys,

how can I add underscores or dots or something in my index to make it easier to find the corresponding page (which stands right) of a content (left orientated).

Hope you understand my question.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Add underscores in index?
          Michael Gianino Level 4

Do you mean index or table of contents? Indexes (or is it Indices?…) usually have some entries that show up on several pages, like this:

Lincoln 28, 41, 60-62, 77

…where a table of contents usually just references one page like this:

Lincoln in the Congress........................................................31

In either case, you use a tab  with a fill character. If you have an index with only one page number per entry, go here:

ss.png

…and change the spaces to a tab. In the paragraph style that is created by the index process, you edit the tab to include a fill character of your choice (underscore, dots, etc.). If you have a table of contents, add the fill character to the style you use for the table of contents, and also use a tab as a separator.

I hope that helps.

• 2. Re: Add underscores in index?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

When Michael says "fill Character" I think he's talking about a "tab leader" which is how it will be labeled inthe dialog. You can also use a custom underline instead of a leader, and that can be applied to anything, not just a tab, if you prefer, for example, an em space. I like to use the underline and set it up as a character style, then apply it in a nested style in the parragraph style applied to the listings.

• 3. Re: Add underscores in index?
              Petteri_Paananen Level 4

If tabs are used to separate entry and pagenumber, a right justified tab might be the most usefull, then all the page numbers will be alligned to right side

Kuvankaappaus 2012-12-20 kello 16.25.06.png