2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2006 4:24 AM by Peter Lorent

Learning Actionscript

Sterockicy
      Hi guys. At this point in time i have a brief understanding of actionscript and have the ability to make easy games without the aid of a tutorial. i am extremely interested in hopefully becoming a professional and i need somewhere to start. can any of you pros recommend a book or something that helped you guys get to where you are now.

That would be really helpful.

Thanks

Sterockicy
        • 1. Learning Actionscript
          ricklecoat
          Hi Sterockicy;

It sounds like you are already beyond my level of ability in AS but the books that I am using to get started are "Foundation Actionscript for Flash 8" by Kristian Besley, Sham Bhangal and Davd Powers (pub. Friends of Ed); and "Flash 8 Actionscript: Training From The Source", by Jobe Makar and Danny Patterson (pub. by Adobe Press in association with Peachpit).

I'd say check them out in a real bookstore where you can flip through them and gauge whether they are too basic for you -- my guess is that the Adobe one will be more up your street; as a non-coding designer I find it a bit clinical and impenetrable at the moment, so it might be about right for you.

Hope this helps;
          Rick
          • 2. Re: Learning Actionscript
            Peter Lorent Level 2
            Specifically about games:
            flash mx2004 game design demystified by Jobe Makar and Ben Winiarczyk