12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2012 1:10 PM by Ann Bens

Up-side down and black and white footage

RyanFx

Hello all, I am really getting frustrated and when I import a video into Premeire I drag it to the timeline and the video is up-side down and black and white. I tried various project settings and I have searched the fourms but I cannot find a legitimate solution.

Any help would be appreciated!

Ryan

• 1. Re: Up-side down and black and white footage
          shooternz Level 6

What is the footage and from what camera?

• 2. Re: Up-side down and black and white footage
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... a screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

For Mac http://mediainspector.massanti.com/

Also, does your sequence match your video?

Please NOTE that the PPro CS6 screen may look a bit different (I use CS5)

For CS5 and later, the easy way to insure that your video and your project match

See 2nd post for picture of NEW ITEM process http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872666

-and a FAQ on sequence setting http://forums.adobe.com/message/3804341

• 3. Re: Up-side down and black and white footage
              the_wine_snob Level 9

RyanFX,

Along with the questions and suggestions offered above, what is the make and model of your video card?

Also, what is the version and date of the installed video driver?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Up-side down and black and white footage
                shooternz Level 6

Hey Bill

With respect to you and John T Smith..I am never sure about  the value of asking about codecs, wrappers and video drivers etc. in an instance such as this one.

I dont know of any of those that turn images upside down or into B&W.

I also never understand why a Video Card Driver might  work perfectly  one day and then has issues the next.. because it is suddenly not the most current version.  How does it know  and who does it tell?  :-)

Obviously in a case such a this..we are not informed if the OP has ever had a system that worked... and we are not told any system details... so that stuff would always be helpful to know up front before helpful  guys like you two ..dont waste time digging for info and then thru the clutter.

eg OS is kind of basic info that is frequently not provided!

• 5. Re: Up-side down and black and white footage
                  RyanFx Level 1

Ok I have a Sony HXRMC1500p for a camera, but in this case I just exported a intro I made in After Effects (h264 format) and then imported it into Premeire. My video card is a AMD Raedon HD 6670, it is up to date. I am currently updating Premiere pro so we will see what happens...Only if everyting worked

• 6. Re: Up-side down and black and white footage
                    RyanFx Level 1

I tried dragging the clip down to the add new item and all it did was make the video pink and make premiere crash (it crashes quite often)

Here are some scr

Capture5.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

As you can see this is very annoying...does the sequence settings have anything to do with it?

• 7. Re: Up-side down and black and white footage
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>intro I made in After Effects (h264 format)

OK... I am not going to be able to help, since I don't use AE

If clips from your "Sony HXRMC1500p" work properly, without the AE clip, then my best guess is you are doing something wrong when you export from AE

• 8. Re: Up-side down and black and white footage
                        shooternz Level 6

Your Settings look fine.

That is really weird.

Do you have access to another card you can install.

Premiere crashing means you do have some other issue (that may also be related).

Do the camera original source files play nicely in Premiere?

Are the original camera files mp4 (extension) or have you transcoded them?

• 9. Re: Up-side down and black and white footage
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

Fair enough.

Historically, there have been a few instances, where a bad video driver has yielded similar displays - B/W and upside down. Not sure if this is the case here, but wanted to rule it out.

With video drivers, I have charted many instances, where a simple OS update, has rendered the video driver obsolete, so that it works one day, but not the next. As most Windows OS's are installed with the default of Auto Update, the user is often not aware that something has been done to their OS - it is transparent to them. Then, things that worked the day before, cease to work properly the next.

When troubleshooting, I find that it is easiest to rule out the "usual suspects," though what might be the "usual suspects" to me, might be alien to some others.

In very general terms, the problems with PrPro fall into:

System (could be video driver, or other)

Assets

Project/Sequence

OE

Bugs

Normally, I start at the top, and work down, just because of the % of cases, that I have seen, or read about.

Just like with an automobile, that will not start, I begin with:

1. Fuel
                          2. Fuel delivery
                          3. Battery
                          4. Starter
                          5. Electronics

And work down. If the first 4 check out, then they get quickly eliminated, and we move on. I admit that it is simplistic, and several possibilities might be quickly eliminated, but then, if we jump to esoteric possibilities, and omit some common issues, then much time is wasted by not asking the basic questions first. Sort of like "My computer does not work." My first two questions would be: "is it plugged into an active mains," and "did you turn it on?"

Also, some of the easiest questions to answer, whether correct, or not, might also be the easiest to fix. That is what I am always hoping for.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Up-side down and black and white footage
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that info.

Sounds like we can probably rule out the video driver (as Craig hoped... )

Now, I assume that the AE Comp plays correctly, prior to Import into PrPro. Is that correct?

Will check below, as much has happened in this thread, since I last visited it, and you probably mention whether you used ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link) to get the Comp into PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Up-side down and black and white footage
                              RyanFx Level 1

The AE comp plays fine and you mentioned that it works some days and not the next, well that is very true...one day it will work like it should the next it will be all wierd and crash...Oh and I do not have the budget or time to replace the video card and I did just recently buy the CPU I am using. Lastly will updating to Windows 8 help this issue at all?

• 12. Re: Up-side down and black and white footage
                                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think its a bad export, try exporting again.

Edit: this issue might have something to do with your other post.