9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2012 6:25 PM by wfmc staffer

Why does capture stop when encountering gaps in timecode?

csquared63

I have a Canon Vixia HV30 connected via Firewire 400.  Premiere CS6 (though I recall the same thing in CS5 and 5.5) will only capture when there is timecode.  If I have a tape that has been recorded to at different times, and there is a gap between clips due to rewinding and fast-forwarding, Premiere will stop capturing and won't continue when the next timecoded clip is playing.

This makes it a hassle to capture a whole tape, because I have to babysit it and make sure I restart the capture each time.  I have to close the capture window and rewingd the tape. Then I hit play and wait to see timecode.  If I hit record beofre that then it does nothing even though the tape continues to play.

Thanks,

Carl

• 1. Re: Why does capture stop when encountering gaps in timecode?
          shooternz Level 6

It is best practice to have continuous TC because of this reason.

Broken TC is usually caused by camera people replaying their shots after filming them and a camera that wont roll back and pick it up again.

Premiere stops because it has  los tthe control signal for the device and the TC data needed for the file.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why does capture stop when encountering gaps in timecode?
            csquared63 Level 1

Thanks.  I seem to remember earlier versions of Premiere working through those gaps.  The problem is they're just family tapes, so there's a lot of partial watching, and back and forth play, rewind, and cueing to record again.

I guess I'll just have to record a 10 second buffer, so I can cut in on timecode and eliminate the gaps.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Why does capture stop when encountering gaps in timecode?
              shooternz Level 6

You maybe able to Manually record your tapes without device control.

Hit Record and Hit Playback

Scene detect etc wont work then ( I think)... and you will get a long single clip.

Have not digitised a tape for such a longtime...I forget the details and workflow a bit.

• 4. Re: Why does capture stop when encountering gaps in timecode?
                Dragonspear Level 1

There is a capture setting you can select that will allow continuous capture even if there are TC stops or gaps in the video.

Make sure you don't have "abort capture on dropped frames" selected.

Some device control settings are available when you choose Edit > Preferences > Device Control (Windows) or Premiere Pro > Preferences > Device Control (Mac OS). Others are in the Device Control section at the bottom of the Settings pane of the Capture panel. Device control settings apply to the entire project.

1. Choose Edit > Preferences > Capture (Windows) or Premiere Pro > Preferences > Capture (Mac OS).
                2. Select one or more of the Capture options. If you are using a device controller that generates its own timecode, select Use Device Control Timecode. Use Device Control Timecode replaces the unreadable timecode recorded on the tape with the controller’s timecode. Click OK.

That work?

• 5. Re: Why does capture stop when encountering gaps in timecode?
                  csquared63 Level 1

Hmm, hit play on the camera and record in the capture window?

In playing around I noticed a "Tape" button in the Capture box that captures the whole tape!  Imagine that. 

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Why does capture stop when encountering gaps in timecode?
                    csquared63 Level 1

Hi, thanks for the reply.  I'm on Windows.

The "Abort capture on dropped frames" option is grayed out.  I was able to choose "Use Device Control Timecode".

capture.jpg

Under Device control, I see this:

device.jpg

• 7. Re: Why does capture stop when encountering gaps in timecode?
                      wfmc staffer Level 2

Sorry that you are having problems. It has always been standard for professional production to keep continuous time code recorded. Any vanilla 1394 capture device will stop at blank gaps. Some proprietary encoders may not work that way. I believe our old canopus raptor rt card would record through gaps. That's likely because it was processing the signal with a TBC.

IF you want to take a slight hit in quality for convenience, run an analog signal out of one dv device to a 2nd dv device being used as an a/d converter. Premiere will capture the dv stream passed through the 2nd device without pausing. You'll need to end the capture manually.

• 8. Re: Why does capture stop when encountering gaps in timecode?
                        csquared63 Level 1

Continuous TC makes sense to me now.  I also noted in an Adobe help file that recording about five seconds of "extra" video and using that as the "start" when re-recording on a tape that has been rewound and played would eliminate the gap.  A few options to consider.

Thanks for your response.

• 9. Re: Why does capture stop when encountering gaps in timecode?
                          wfmc staffer Level 2

When I advise DV shooters, if they have not pre-striped their tapes with video from head to tails, I tell them to record 30 secs to 1 min on the front, as that is where most glitches will occur. Then record an extra 30 seconds of random video at the end of a session, whether moving location, reviewing footage, or done for the day. Cue the tape into that last 30 seconds the next time that you use that tape. You will end up with continuous, contiguous time code. That is what you are looking for.