3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2012 6:06 PM by soshagayle777

Best way to draw a line in a document

soshagayle777 Level 1

Another Beginners question ...

I am attaching a screen shot to help you understand my question.

Is there a better way to draw lines in a document than using the keyboard underscore key?  It looks a little choppy sometimes.

I know you can draw a great line with the pen tool but how do the experts do it?

Thank you again!

Screen shot Court  2012-12-20 at 6.19.49 PM.png

• 1. Re: Best way to draw a line in a document
          MW Design Level 4

A paragraph style. Either using the underscore and tabs, or, as I mostly do, a paragraph style with rules (Pragraph Rules in the paragraph style editor). Which I use is determined by whether the rule goes full width or is otherwise a full width as defined by the paragraph style (then I use a paragraph rule), or, if there are more than entery place per line (then I use tabs/underscore).

Take care, Mike

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Best way to draw a line in a document
            Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've seen pretty much every single method of line-making that exists in page layout software. I'm not an expert here - I work in a translation firm processing other people's files, so I see InDesign files made by experts, rank novices, and everyone in between. One of the most flexible one is setting up tabs with tab-leaders:

Untitled.png

By having the tab-marker point to the right or the left, you can make some very carefully aligned fields. Takes some experimentation to really learn how to use it, though. As Mike says, you can do this either with an underscore in the tab leader box, or with underlines.

I personally really like the special character "Right align tab" with an underline applied.

Untitled.png

I prefer underlines because you can easily adjust the weight and the distance from the baseline. I usually make a character style so that all fields throughout my document all have the same weight (that can be changed easily in one place).

Some people use tables; I'm not a fan of using tables for this purpose but they're workable. (I don't like 'em enough to take screenshots.)

• 3. Re: Best way to draw a line in a document
              soshagayle777 Level 1

Thank you for taking the time to help me.  I appreciate it!