5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2012 4:05 AM by peter minneapolis

Figure Numbering/Page Ordering trouble

crislet

I have a large document with 30+ figures. While I am new to InDesign, I understand the concepts since I use Scribus and was a FrameMaker user for years. So, I created a paragrph style with numbering, but the figure numbers are wrong. InDesign seems to have some kind of internal ordering that  is totally unrelated to my page ordering.  

Here is a partial list of figures it generated:

List of Figures

Figure 12. -  page     3

Figure 8. - page      4

Figure 9. - page      4

Figure 10. - page       4

Figure 11. - page      5

Figure 13. - page     8

Figure 30. - page      33

Figure 33. -page     36

Figure 34. -page  37

Figure 35. - page      38

etc...

I have actually gotten so frustrated that I made a new paragraph style without numbering and went and did all of the numbering by hand. What I discovered while doing this is that the Find dialog follows this same mixed up ordering (and that doing it by hand is VERY error-prone.)

Is there any way to make InDesign follow my page order so I can use the built in order numbering? Is there a way to even see why it is ordering things they way it is?

Thanks so much.

• 1. Re: Figure Numbering/Page Ordering trouble
          lilia@ Level 2

Well I'm not sure if I understand what your saying, but here is my 2 cents worth... I'm guessing that Figure 12 sits on page 3 and Figure 8 sits on page 4 or something like this (where a figure sits on a particular page).

You could create a style sheet (character if necessary) without numbering and apply it to the Figure and number only, THEN you could create a contents page kind of list to collate the figures and page numbers.

Hope I helped

lil...

• 2. Re: Figure Numbering/Page Ordering trouble
            crislet Level 1

Thanks, but the problem is I want Figure 1 to be the first figure, not figure 12.  Then I'd like Figure 2 to come next and them all to be sequential with no breaks.  As you can see, it doesn't start with 1 and they're not sequential.  I tried setting the paragraph style to "start at 1" but then all of my figures are "Figure 1."

• 3. Re: Figure Numbering/Page Ordering trouble
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you using Live Captions to add the figure numbers, or manually adding the information?

Live captions, I believe, will number in the order you add the actual images to the layout. A regular numbered list will run in the order in which it is entered. If each of the numbered paragraphs in the list is in its own frame, shuffling the frames does not reorder the list. You may need to thread the captions together and use cut/paste to reorder the text in the frames.

• 4. Re: Figure Numbering/Page Ordering trouble
                lilia@ Level 2

crislet wrote:

Thanks, but the problem is I want Figure 1 to be the first figure, not figure 12.  Then I'd like Figure 2 to come next and them all to be sequential with no breaks.  As you can see, it doesn't start with 1 and they're not sequential.  I tried setting the paragraph style to "start at 1" but then all of my figures are "Figure 1."

well.. i guess one way to do that is to do as i suggested (above)... that is if you NEED to collate the information.

then you could use a script (it's in the script panel but i don't recall its name)... the script sorts paragraphs numerically or alphabetically.

PS I suggested this method only because every line has the first word Figure in common... am assuming anywhos.

• 5. Re: Figure Numbering/Page Ordering trouble
                  peter minneapolis Level 4

As in FrameMaker, InDesign paragraph autonumbers increment consecutiely within a single text flow (AKA "story" in InDesign.) If your paragraphs are in separate unthreaded text frames (AKA "unconnected text frames) in FrameMaker) as Peter S. notes, the numbering follows the order of creation.

In addition, numbering of unthreaded stories increments from top-left to bottom-right on each page.

It's not clear to me if you're describing a TOC whose page numbers are "off," or if you're providing the page numbers to describe the behavior you're seeing in the document. Screen shots of multiple pages with hidden characters (AKA "View > Text Symbols" in FrameMaker) and text threads showing, as well as shots of the numbered list dialog box for the paragraph style(s) would help.

Search Google for terms like "InDesign numbered list," "InDesign text threads," "InDesign hidden characters," without quotes for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

crislet wrote:

I have a large document with 30+ figures. While I am new to InDesign, I understand the concepts since I use Scribus and was a FrameMaker user for years. So, I created a paragrph style with numbering, but the figure numbers are wrong. InDesign seems to have some kind of internal ordering that  is totally unrelated to my page ordering.  

Here is a partial list of figures it generated:

List of Figures

Figure 12. -  page     3

Figure 8. - page      4

Figure 9. - page      4

Figure 10. - page       4

Figure 11. - page      5

Figure 13. - page     8

Figure 30. - page      33

Figure 33. -page     36

Figure 34. -page  37

Figure 35. - page      38

etc...

I have actually gotten so frustrated that I made a new paragraph style without numbering and went and did all of the numbering by hand. What I discovered while doing this is that the Find dialog follows this same mixed up ordering (and that doing it by hand is VERY error-prone.)

Is there any way to make InDesign follow my page order so I can use the built in order numbering? Is there a way to even see why it is ordering things they way it is?

Thanks so much.