3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2012 12:08 PM by MichelBParis

Is a file's location recorded in the metadata?

Searson

When data is written to a file, is the file location at the time the data is written recorded for posterity? I can't see that it is, but, what is more important to me, is that if it is, then what happens to the file if you have to do a 'Restore' and the recorded location no longer exists in the catalog?

• 1. Re: Is a file's location recorded in the metadata?
          MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

WRSH wrote:

When data is written to a file, is the file location at the time the data is written recorded for posterity? I can't see that it is, but, what is more important to me, is that if it is, then what happens to the file if you have to do a 'Restore' and the recorded location no longer exists in the catalog?

No, the location of the file is only written in the catalog (the database).

But if the location has changed in between, the file will be considered 'missing'.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1050248?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Is a file's location recorded in the metadata?
            Searson Level 1

Thank you Michel, that was helpful. Since the files I am writing about will be moved to their permanent home in Folder B almost immediately after the metadata has been written to the files whilst in Folder A, it is reassuring to know the Catalog will keep track - and it's backed-up regularly..

• 3. Re: Is a file's location recorded in the metadata?
              MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

WRSH wrote:

Thank you Michel, that was helpful. Since the files I am writing about will be moved to their permanent home in Folder B almost immediately after the metadata has been written to the files whilst in Folder A, it is reassuring to know the Catalog will keep track - and it's backed-up regularly..

No problem if you move the files from the Organizer. If you move them in the explorer, they will be 'missing' and the catalog will have lost their track...