6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2012 8:35 AM by Peter Spier

Table of Contents Formatting

MichaelGoof

When I generate a new TOC, I correctly pulls in the needed header fields, but some of the formatting carries over as well. I have set paragraph and character styles for the TOC entries, and set the the character styles for the numbers and separators as well. Something is preventing the TOC styles from being applied to  the TOC entries. Any ideas of where I can look?

• 1. Re: Table of Contents Formatting
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Local formatting, or manually applied character styles (i.e. not a nested style within ght paragraph style) are always preserved when assigning a new style and are preserved in the TOC as well.

• 2. Re: Table of Contents Formatting
            MichaelGoof Level 1

I want through every one of the entries that were slated to appear in the TOC, checked the object, paragraph and character styles for each, and reset any overrides that were applied. Then I regenerated the TOC and got the same results as before. Digging into the TOC, the desired paragraph styles are applied, but not the character styles. The character styles for the TOC numbers are correct, but the ones for the entries are set to the character styles of the source text. This is so wierd! Here is a screenshot of the TOC settings:

TOC  Settings.jpg

Could I possibly send you the INDD file directly? I know that I can override this manually, but I really would like to understand what is wrong here.

• 3. Re: Table of Contents Formatting

Sure. I'll send you an upload link.

• 4. Re: Table of Contents Formatting

I have the file, and I think I see the problem.

All of the headings and the TOC listing seem to have both a paragtaph style and a character style applied (makes me think you might be a recent Quark convert). I suspect you don't quite understand the use of character styles and the dormatting heirarchy in ID, so here's a quick primer.

All paragraph styles contain basic character formatting. This should be defined to match the way you want the type set in that style to appear. Ordinarily there is no need for a character style at all.

Character styles are used for special cases within a paragraph where a particular character or string must have an appearance that differs from the rest of the paragraph. You might use a character style to apply an underline, or to make a certain word Bold or Italic. Character styles can define all of the parameters of the text, like font family and size, but are generally the most useful if they do as little as possible, like applying Bold as mentioned above. The reason this is the case is that a character style trumps the paragraph style, but is not considered an "override" and will continue to be applied the the text if you change the paragraph style or its definition. A style that simply applies Bold will work with any font that has a Bold variant, at any point size, in any color. Character styles are not removed when clearing overrides becasue it is presumed that you want them to continue to be applied (and as stated, they are not overrides).

"Local formatting" is applied by selecting text and changing the attributes directly without benefit of a style. These trump both paragraph and character styles and ARE overrides that will be removed if you clear overrides, but not if you change a style without clearing overrides.

So, bottom line, you need to redefine your Blue Heading paragraph style, or create a new one that uses a [Paper] character color, then remove the White Heading Text character style. Similarly, you can do away with the TOC Entry character style as it is not needed if there is no character style applied to the headings in the text. If you don't need to use these character styles elsewhere inthe document, and I suspect you don't, you can simple select them in the Character Styles panel and delete them. When asked for a repalcement, pick [None]. Looing through the panel it seems you may have created character styles to go with all of your paragraph styles and unnecessarily applied them, so you'll probably need to delete those as well.

Make sure, too, that the [None] character style is selected when the text tool is active, but there is no insertion point or selected text active to prevent having a character style applied to all new text. It looks like that's already true, but double check.

• 5. Re: Table of Contents Formatting
                  MichaelGoof Level 1

I must humbly admit that I am feeling pretty stupid right now. I purchased the CS6 collection two months ago and have devoted hundreds of hours to learning all I can about ID on Lynda.com. One of the key points I got from all of the instructors was the importance of using styles, so I resolved to discipline myself to use them to the fullest extent possible. My motivation was to develop good workflows from the beginning, thus making myself more efficient in the long run.

It became apparent to me after reading your primer above that I did not properly understand the role of character styles in ID. I had incorrectly thought that I needed to apply character styles first, then paragraph styles, and finally object styles. While working with paragraph styles, in the back of my mind I had wondered why there is no setting to apply a character style within the paragraph styles dialog box. But once I read your explanation, something clicked inside, and everything made perfect sense.

Peter, you have no idea of how much of a Christmas gift you gave me by helping me here! All I can offer in return is a humble thank you.

• 6. Re: Table of Contents Formatting

I'm glad you've seen the light, and actually quite appreciative of the thankyou. Those, to me, are the best gifts I can receive.

You needn't feel stupid, either. Style confusion is a common problem for new users, and I suspect that many trainers and authors overlook the postential for mistaken logic (it IS logical, on many levels, that you should need a character style for all text), and I think ID is a bit unique in how it handles formatting.

Happy holidays to you.