6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2006 1:34 AM by RuiRosao

Cannot open help pages in Flex Builder 2

RuiRosao Level 1
      I have been working with FlexBuilder2 Beta 3, with no problems.
      Today I installed the release version (FB2), with a clean workspace. After copying the source files, I can compile/deploy the applications. One thing does not work however: the help in FB2. Help>Help Contents will open up a new browser, and wait forever, showing a white background. Help>Search will index the help file, and show results, but clicking on any result will again show the blank browser page. The Flex Start Page shows up correctly. I can run the 3 programs under Flex Samples and open the Restaurant Finder project. However, none of the items under How Flex Works can be opened.
      I noticed that they link to some site ending with: .../how_flex_works_2.html embed=false
      (with the first e in embed underlined).
      I think this sould be: .../how_flex_works_2.html ?embed=false (or something similar).

Can someone indicate how this could be corrected? Maybe it can be done in the FB2 installation dir?

Thanks,
      Rui
        • 1. Re: Cannot open help pages in Flex Builder 2
          jrunrandy Adobe Employee
          Wow. That's a new one. Which external browser are you using? Also, do you experience the same problem if you change your preferences to use the internal browser?
          • 2. Re: Cannot open help pages in Flex Builder 2
            RuiRosao Level 1
            Its funny, because in my external browser (IE6;SP1) the help appears OK. It is when I uncheck Use external browser in Window>Preferences for using the internal browser that it does not work!
            • 3. Re: Cannot open help pages in Flex Builder 2
              jrunrandy Adobe Employee
              If you use Help>Dynamic Help or Help>Search, what happens? They use an internal browser, too, but the browser displays in the main work area.

Also, are you using the standalone or plugin versions?

Thanks,
              • 4. Re: Cannot open help pages in Flex Builder 2
                RuiRosao Level 1
                Hi Randy,

I am using the standalone version: 2.0.143459.
                Help>Dynamic Help and Help>Search, both open OK. They have their own view to the right of the main edit area. The search works fine, i.e. it will find and display results in this view. It is only when I click a result, or a dynamic help topic, that the main (internal) browser window opens, and starts loading "something".
                I have setup FB2 now such that Help>Contents opens in an external browser, and that is also working fine.
                My problem now is that I am unable to see result-pages or dynamic help topics. That is not working for the moment.
                BTW: When this main internal webbrowser help view opens, a progress-bar appears under the views, that shows something loading up to about 30%, and then it freezes.
                I'm considering re-installing FB2 again tomorrow, after tonights backups have been made. Maybe a fresh install will work better.
                Thank you for your assistance.

Rui
                • 5. Re: Cannot open help pages in Flex Builder 2
                  jrunrandy Adobe Employee
                  The only other thing I can think of is that maybe there's a JavaScript error lurking in there somewhere. If so, try disabling script debugging by doing the following:
                  1) Open IE
                  2) Go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced
                  3) Select the "Disable Script Debugging (Other)" checkbox
                  4) Click OK.

Let me know how it goes.
                  • 6. Re: Cannot open help pages in Flex Builder 2
                    RuiRosao Level 1
                    Hi Randy,

I spend a day checking everything. I think the tcp-stack of my PC got damaged by a local firewall. I uninstalled this firewall, repaired Windows, and re-installed Flex Buikder 2. Everything OK now. Thank you for you hints, that got me on the way towards the solution.

Rui