6 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2016 6:15 AM by Peter Kahrel

How can I delete an old index ?

gregg_davidson

I'm revising a book and I need to completely remove the old index a create a new one. Have not found an answer on the internet or my InDesign book. Any suggestions  would be most welcome!

• 1. Re: How can I delete an old index ?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Yu can select the old index story and just delete it. I'm sure someone has a one-line script that will remove the old index markers, but you can also use Find/Change. Just select Index Marker from the special characters list next to the Find field (click the @ sign to the right of the field) and leave the Change field blank. Change all.

• 2. Re: How can I delete an old index ?
            gregg_davidson Level 1

Dear Peter

thanks so much for the info. I was able to delete the markers but this did not seem to clear the index topics or delete the index. Not sure what you mean by the "index story". For now I have created a new document with no index with new masters and am copying each page over. As I'm revising the book this isn't too bad.

Best

Gregg

• 3. Re: How can I delete an old index ?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The index story is the text that was generated and added for the index in your file. If delting the story and the markers doesn't clear the InDex panel, I think you ccan do that from within the panel itself.

• 4. Re: How can I delete an old index ?
                gregg_davidson Level 1

Hello Peter, Deleting all the index text was actually the first thing I tried and it did not delete the index entrys even after restarting the program nor was I able to find any command to select all the topics at once and delete them from the index pane even after clearing the markers. It's fine. I'm redoing the book anyway. Thanks for the input.

• 5. Re: How can I delete an old index ?
                  giotaf8897383

That is frustrating! Fortunately, Find/Change comes to the rescue.

1. Open all the documents (the ones you want to strip of index entries) at the same time.
                  2. Then open the Find/Change dialog box (Command/Ctrl-F).
                  3. Type ^I into the "Find What" field and make sure the Change To field is blank.
                  4. Set the Search pop-up menu to All Documents.
                  5. Click Change All.

Wowza, they're gone!

I know what you're wondering: How on earth did David know the special code for index entries? Well, of course, I have a trick: I just selected Index Entries from the little flyout menu to the right of the Find What field. Those flyout menus are so useful!

findindex2

then go to the index window

and select at the options

remove usused topics....

the old index disappear..

• 6. Re: How can I delete an old index ?
                    Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The one-liner that Peter S. meant is this one:

app.documents[0].indexes[0].topics.everyItem().remove();

Peter