3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2006 6:44 AM by derobinson

inseting AS code into a frame of a clip made of an AVI file

Level 7
      I have an AVI video imported into a library.
      Then drug and drop this AVI into a movieclip.
      Now in this movieclip timeline I see all 120 frames making the avi file.
      If I wanted to place some AS code into a certain frame, how do I do that?

I understand, I need first to convert this frame into a keyframe. I select
      this frame and then apply Convert to key frames. A message pops up saying
      that the movie is 120 frames long and asking whether to add them.
      If I confirm, my movieclip becomes two times longer.
      If I deny, it places into this frame in question the picture from the first
      frame.
      What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: inseting AS code into a frame of a clip made of an AVI file
          derobinson Level 1
          You probably need to add a new layer to the MC and place the keyframe for the AS there. Placing the keyframe in the same layer as the AVI, its basically splitting the video and restarting it (read the sectionon keyframes for animation in the Help docs to better understand how keyframes and graphic components work).

Hope that helps!
          • 2. Re: inseting AS code into a frame of a clip made of an AVI file
            Level 7
            Thanks,
            I added another layer, but converting any frame thereof into a keyframe has
            the same effect as doing the same in the AVI's layer as discribed in my
            original message.
            Another effect I observed is if I convert, say, the Nth frame, then frames
            strating from ythe first one and to the (N-1)th are inserted after the Nth
            frame, so that the rest of the frames are shifted to the right, and the last
            (N-1) frames pf the original AVI are lost so that the total number of frames
            is preserved.
            I did not understand, where exactly shall read about works of keyframes and
            graphic components?

"derobinson" <david@tulane.edu> wrote in message
            news:ed6qeo$scc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > You probably need to add a new layer to the MC and place the keyframe for
            the
            > AS there. Placing the keyframe in the same layer as the AVI, its basically
            > splitting the video and restarting it (read the sectionon keyframes for
            > animation in the Help docs to better understand how keyframes and graphic
            > components work).
            >
            > Hope that helps!
            >
            >

• 3. Re: inseting AS code into a frame of a clip made of an AVI file
              derobinson Level 1
              Here's the LiveDosc link on keyframes...don't know if it will be helpful or not, but its a place to start:

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flash/8/main/00000040.html

You might want to consider converting the AVI to an FLV and using one of the playback components. You may find that easier to control. Here's a LiveDocs on that:

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flash/8/main/00000636.html

How exactly are you importing the AVI into your Library? Are you using the video import wizard? or are you simply saying File>Import>Import to Library?