RickRicardo Level 1

Why can AE CS6 import MP4 files like this:

File:
      Format: MPEG-4

Video:
      Format: AVC
      Format/Info: Advanced Video Codec
      Format profile: High@L3.1

But can't it import FLV files with same video stream format?

File:
      Format: Flash Video

Video:
      Format: AVC
      Format/Info: Advanced Video Codec
      Format profile: Main@L3.0

C'mon, is this a "professional" program that can't support one of the most popular formats? (Yes, I mean YouTube)

• 1. Re: FLV
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Don't follow. what has FLV to do with MPEG-4? They're distinctly differenbt formats, no matter what your windows file info or some video info tools say. that aside, this is not going anywhere without knowing wher those files are from, what their exact specs are and so on. They could simply be DRM protected or encoded in some strange app that produces incompatible output....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: FLV
            RickRicardo Level 1

Read again, it is a question divided into two lines. I was editing the post to fix the forum breaking my post.

It should not matter if they are Dot MP4 or Dot FLV if their video is recored with the same codec.

And, no, there's no DRM on videos downloaded from Youtube.

• 3. Re: FLV
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

FLV files are supposed to contain one of only two video codecs: On2 VP6 or Sorenson Spark. After Effects can import FLV files that use the On2 VP6 codec.

If you are trying to use the MPEG-4 part 10 video codec (aka H.264, AVC), then FLV is the wrong container type. F4V is the Flash Video container type for that codec. After Effects can import such files.

• 4. Re: FLV
                RickRicardo Level 1

As I posted in first post,

my .MP4 container is "MPEG-4"

my .FLV container is "Flash Video"

Video Stream for both is AVC and the only difference is that MP4 uses AVC High Profile, and FLV uses AVC Main Profile.

Are you saying that this FLV should have extension F4V for AE to open it? Why it can't open if I change extension?

Sorry, Todd, AE is great, but such artificial limitations are completely hilarious.

Furthermore, why can't it open files using system codecs? (And this is also valid for Adobe Media Encoder)

Creativity should not be capped and interrupted by such kind of pre-Year 2000 limitation.

Also, this is a thousand-dollars program that can't do what open-source programs do.

In this wagon, I add that Hw-Accel support for AMD cards should also be something native in great-value softwares like AE, not only Nvidia.

• 5. Re: FLV
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not going to go into the reasons that NVIDIA cards are supported. I'm not going to go into the reasons that FLV and FLA and SWF may be able to work in some apps but not in AE. I'm only going to say that software from one company can only be integrated with software from another company by mutual agreement to share technology. Contracts, licensing fees, and engineering costs all dictate the level of integration. If you have an open source program that will do all that AE does, then use it. The formats you're trying to use in product in are not designed to do anything but playback. They are highly compressed and are unsuited to use in a production work flow.

If you really must use this source footage then transcode it using another tool until the time that Adobe and the owners of the codec decide that there's enough demand for these capabilities to pay the licensing fees and invest the development time required to make them work.

• 6. Re: FLV
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It should not matter if they are Dot MP4 or Dot FLV if their video is recored with the same codec.

It matters. It's the same why MOV or MP4 files from digital photo cameras not necessarily work in AE or any otehr Adobe app for that matter because their MPEG streams are formatted out of spec. Anyway, the others have provided enough explanations already...

Mylenium

• 7. Re: FLV
                      RickRicardo Level 1

I'm only going to say that software from one company can only be integrated with software from another company by mutual agreement to share technology

So, Adobe isn't capable of opening "Flash Video" containers even after buying Macromedia?

Sorry, but the only format they would even need to spend a cent is MPEG4/H264. And, yes, they support that as I'm saying and repeating.

If you have an open source program that will do all that AE does, then use it

Who said that? No, not me.

I said that the ability to properly open FLV and MP4 files is something that almost all open-source programs can do better than AE.

It matters. It's the same why MOV or MP4 files from digital photo cameras not necessarily work in AE or any otehr Adobe app for that matter because their MPEG streams are formatted out of spec.

Yes, Adobe still lives in 1993. But my system and millions more are capable of opening those files with correct codecs installed.

I'm sorry for you two trying to justificate something that can't be justified.

Not even Todd Kopriva tried.

• 8. Re: FLV
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> So, Adobe isn't capable of opening "Flash Video" containers even after buying Macromedia?

I described above the Flash Video formats that After Effects can use. These are the same formats that can be opened by Flash Professional.

I still don't understand where and how you got an FLV file that supposedly uses AVC/H.264 encoding.

• 9. Re: FLV
                          RickRicardo Level 1

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

I still don't understand where and how you got an FLV file that supposedly uses AVC/H.264 encoding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youtube

"35" FLV 480p H.264

That's a format used by YouTube and many more sites.

When you use add-ons that can download from those sites, you may get files with that format.

• 10. Re: FLV
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The page that you link to gives the specifications for streaming video files, not files intended for local playback.

If you use a third-party plug-in to force a download from YouTube, you are getting a file that is intended for streaming---and specifically for streaming by YouTube/Google's homegrown implementation of a Flash media server.

I just confirmed with the people who invented and wrote the specification and implementation of the FLV format, and they said that FLV files containing H.264 video are not supposed to exist for local playback, and they only exist for internal use by streaming media systems.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: FLV
                              RickRicardo Level 1

Ok. Interesting to know that...

Anyway, I still think Adobe should accept it as an exception to the rule, as that kind of streaming files is very useful for mixing videos.

But that still don't answer this:

RickRicardo wrote:

Are you saying that this FLV should have extension F4V for AE to open it? Why it can't open if I change extension?

because you said before:

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

If you are trying to use the MPEG-4 part 10 video codec (aka H.264, AVC), then FLV is the wrong container type. F4V is the Flash Video container type for that codec. After Effects can import such files.