5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2012 11:54 AM by the_wine_snob

VOB Files

TeeRL11

Hi,

I have a VOB file. When I GET MEDIA and bring the VOB file into APE10, the audio is out of sync.. The vob file plays just fine outside of APE.  Why? and can this be easily fixed as I am a rookie using this program. I've converted the file to MPEG using Any Converter but the quality of the original VOB is better and I'd prefer to stick with it. The MPEG file has the jitters when burned to DVD.

Thanks so much for some veteran guidance

• 1. Re: VOB Files
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          • 2. Re: VOB Files
            the_wine_snob Level 9

The VOB will contain MPEG-2 Video and MPEG Audio Layer II (and the first VOB can also contain Menus and navigation). PrE can have trouble with the MPEG Audio, and OOS (Out Of Sync) is not uncommon. For more info, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2298534#2298534

This article might be useful in getting the sync back: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1982330#1982330

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] While I was grabbing links - John T. was posting.

• 3. Re: VOB Files
              TeeRL11 Level 1

Well, thank you both for such quick responses but I think I may need to stick with the converted MPEG file. All this sounds to advanced for my expertise. I have no plans to edit this VOB movie, I just want to burn it to dvd with some other MWV files and get a nice DVD for TV viewing.

I was hoping for a simple setting in APE or better yet, the hope that APE would just import it w/o incident.

Thank you for your time, and Happy Holidays to all,

• 4. Re: VOB Files
                TeeRL11 Level 1

Um. I have another question that just surfaced.

I just renamed the .VOB file as .MPEG and it now imports just fine and audio / video is in sync. How could that be? Or should I just be happy and move on?

• 5. Re: VOB Files
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that the Rename worked for you.

As the main element of a VOB is the muxed (Multiplexed file with both Video & Audio) MPEG-2 (the only element in all but the first VOB, which CAN also contain Menus and navigation), that is what we need to edit. However, in the authoring process, the MPEG-2 file is "wrapped" in the VOB container, and to extract the MPEG-2 from that container, the file needs to be ripped. Sometimes, that ripping process is responsible for the OOS issue, but sometimes, it is inherent in the handling of the muxed file.

Also, to handle and edit the Audio Stream, Premiere (both PrE and PrPro) will need to do a conversion on the Audio, called Conforming. This is basically a conversion of that Audio Stream (MPEG-2 Layer II 48KHz 16-bit here), to a PCM/WAV file @ 48KHz, but 32-bit floating point, and wrapped as a CFA file. It is that CFA, that Premiere actually uses on the Timeline, though the user does not see any indication of that - it just looks the same, and no mention of it being a CFA is ever made. Sometimes, in that Conforming process, things are not perfect, and OOS can occur. One potential issue is that in the Encoding process, there is a very slight block size difference between the MPEG-2 Video and the MPEG-2 Layer II Audio - slight, but can sometimes play a role. I find muxed MPEG-2 files to be less than perfect, BUT they are the standard for DVD-Video, so one encounters them at some point in the workflow.

I have had to take existing, muxed DVD-compliant MPEG-2 files, that play perfectly everywhere, and then author a DVD with them - no editing, but just the addition of Menus and navigation (not an ideal, but sometimes a client only has such source material), and after that limited authoring, the sync goes out. MPEG Audio can just present some issues, so I try to stay away from it, with the exception of DD AV3, which I use for DD 5.1 SS Audio, if at all possible, attempting to always use PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Source Files. There are never any problems with that source material, but one cannot always work with what they wish to work with.

Good luck,

Hunt