10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2012 9:53 AM by Barbara B.

Modify Print Layout files

SMavs

I have PSE 10.  I'm trying to change a layout to customize my output.  I'm the admin but I get the following error when trying to save a change. "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact your admin for permission".  I checked the file properties and the only box not checked is the special permissions which is grayed out.  I see info saying this is how you modify the layouts but not sure why mine isn't accepting.  Thanks for your help.

Sam

• 1. Re: Modify Print Layout files
          Barbara B. Level 7

What layout? and what operating system and version of it?

• 2. Re: Modify Print Layout files
            SMavs Level 1

I have win 7. The layouts I'm trying to modify are in the organizer picture package options.  The layouts folder is under organizer/assets in PSE 10. I can duplicate one of the text files but not change it without getting a permission error or access denied error.  I tried to add a new layout with less 2.5 x 3.5 pictures. 

Folder path

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 10 Organizer\Assets\layouts

• 3. Re: Modify Print Layout files
              Barbara B. Level 7

You are in C:\Program Files[Program Files(x86) for 64-bit operating systems]\Adobe\Elements 10 Organizer \Assets\locale\en_US \layouts?  Or did you install PSE on a different drive?

• 4. Re: Modify Print Layout files
                Barbara B. Level 7

Sorry, I see you are. What are the permissions for that folder? It should work.

• 5. Re: Modify Print Layout files
                  Barbara B. Level 7

What program are you opening the layout file with? It should work with Notepad.

• 6. Re: Modify Print Layout files
                    SMavs Level 1

Barbara,  I'm opening up one of the pre-programmed layouts. When I open it it does use notepad.  In this case so I didn't mess up the original I was able to copy and paste the following  file (file details below).  "07.TwoHByThreeH". I saved the new file with the word "copy"  at the end of the name.  I then went in and removed the bottom 4 lines and changed the (8) to a (4)  to allow only 4 copies instead of 8.   If I just do a save I get "ACCESS DENIED".  If I do a "save as" I get  a  "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact your admin for permission".  I am the only user on the laptop so I'm guessing I have full control as admin.  I haven't setup multiple users.  I just looked and it shows I am the admin and the only user. Under permission.  It shows the only thing an administrator can't do is "special permissions".  The only one that is allowed to do this special option is the creator owner or the trusted installer.??  Tnx for your help..

p 576 720

Letter (8) 2.5x3.5

18 0 252 180

296 0 252 180

18 185 252 180

296 185 252 180

18 370 252 180

296 370 252 180

18 555 252 180

296 555 252 180

• 7. Re: Modify Print Layout files
                      SMavs Level 1

Barbara,  any thoughts on my problem??

• 8. Re: Modify Print Layout files
                        Barbara B. Level 7

Yes, sorry. I'm not near a windows computer with PSE 10 right now and I can't remember whether or not I had to do anything special to make it let me save back into that folder the first time. I was hoping someone else might come along who'd done this more recently.

• 9. Re: Modify Print Layout files
                          SMavs Level 1

Barbara,  I was able to get an answer which works from the muvipix site.  I 've listed the fix below.  tnx for your help anyway.

The first is to save the modified file in an unprotected location such as the desktop or your documents folder and then copy it to the protected area. You will get a prompt that you'll need to provide administrator permission -- click on continue to allow the copy operation.

The second is to run Notepad as an administrator. Find the shortcut or an icon to launch Notepad (Start>All Programs>Accessories>Notepad), right click on that and select Run As Administrator. You'll have to OK the UAC prompt. You'll now be able to modify the file and use save as to create a new file in that location.

• 10. Re: Modify Print Layout files
                            Barbara B. Level 7

Thanks for posting the solution. I think I did run Notepad as administrator, now that you mention it.