12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2012 4:14 PM by tm6550

"Frozen" insertion point on some text pages

tm6550 Level 1

I'm moderately proficient with v5.5 creating book layouts with text and graphics for chapter starts and scene breaks. Recently I've run into a problem in which a page full of text will not "accept" a click to place the insertion point where I need it to make an edit. Pages before and after may not exhibit this problem, or maybe two consecutive pages will. Usually the insertion point will be "stuck" in the upper left corner of a single page with the problem, or in the first of two consecutive pages. It's like there's an invisible wall there, and I can't figure out how to get the insertion point to move further into the page.

It may be of importance to note that I typically create the text in Word, then transfer it into InDesign for final layout for export to pdf and upload for print on demand. That's worked very well for a number of books, and I don't know if it might contribute to this problem or not.

Any help in troubleshooting would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Tosh

• 1. Re: "Frozen" insertion point on some text pages
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This sounds like there was a background frame of some sort that you've activated as a text frame inadvertently. Some screen shots with frame edges showing might help.

• 2. Re: "Frozen" insertion point on some text pages
            tm6550 Level 1

Page example.jpg

Here's one, Peter, thanks for taking a look.

• 3. Re: "Frozen" insertion point on some text pages

And where are you trying to insert the cursor?

• 4. Re: "Frozen" insertion point on some text pages
                tm6550 Level 1

Anywhere. If the previous page accepts the cursor normally, so that this is either a single one that doesn't or the first of two or more in a row that won't, when I click on the page by a word to edit it, the cursor doesn't appear there. In this screen shot, it would be sitting in the upper left corner of the page jammed against the frame and won't move any farther onto it. It's as if there's a "no cursor allowed" zone filling the rest of the page.

• 5. Re: "Frozen" insertion point on some text pages

Open the Layers panel and expand the layer. I think there is a second text frame on top of the one that has the text.

• 6. Re: "Frozen" insertion point on some text pages
                    tm6550 Level 1

I may not have told you before when you worked with me so diligently on some other issues, but without getting all gushy, you are my hero. That did it. Thanks so much, Peter.

• 7. Re: "Frozen" insertion point on some text pages

Without actually seeing the file this is pure speculation, but I suspect you have frames on the master pages as well as on the document pages. There are a number of ways that could have happened, though it might be as simple as having clicked the loaded cursor on the upper margin guide when trying to flow text into the master frame.

• 8. Re: "Frozen" insertion point on some text pages
                        tm6550 Level 1

I'll freely admit that this topic is something that I find confusing both in self-taught practical application and when trying to learn more in the help files.

When I first began using InDesign, I flowed a completed novel into it all at one, using smart text reflow without really understanding the consequences of doing that. Then later while editing, I discovered that the text moved without regard to master pages, and I'd end up with no-header/no-page-number master pages intended for the first page of a chapter where I wanted left and right facing pages with headers and page numbers and vice versa.

I can't remember who among the experts taught me how, but I learned to break the threads between chapters to avoid that problem, and use the overset text notice in the preflight panel to warn me of the requirement to add an appropriate master page to accommodate the overset, and be on the lookout for any blank pages at the end of chapters if they had been shortened.

At one point, I was confused enough to think that I had to specify that text frames be included on all master pages so that text would flow into them.

Thanks for the point about what can happen when clicking with the loaded cursor on the upper margin guide. That may well have been part of the cause here, under my initial assumption that the cursor had to be positioned in the upper left corner for the text to fill the frame correctly.

I am a perfect example of the saying, A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Thanks again.

Tosh

• 9. Re: "Frozen" insertion point on some text pages

If you are flowing text into an existing frame you need to click the cursor well away from any sort of guide or ID will ignore the frame and make a new one.

• 10. Re: "Frozen" insertion point on some text pages
                            tm6550 Level 1

Copy that. So if I've got overset text at the end of a chapter and add a new master page that doesn't have an existing frame in it, loading the cursor with the overset text and clicking well inside the guides of the new master page will automatically create a text frame that fills the guides and position the text within them?

• 11. Re: "Frozen" insertion point on some text pages

Not quite.

There are two cases.

If there is no master frame (or empty frame on the document page), clicking the loaded cursor will create a new frame on the document page. The top of the frame will be at the point where you click, the frame will fill whatever column guides surround the point where you click and the frame will extend to the bottom margin guide. If you holod Shift while clicking the auto-flow frames added t the thread will fill column guides from top margin to bottom margin (if you have only one column, the guides are the same as the left and right margins).

If you have a master frame, or an empty frame on the document page, clicking inside that frame will fill the frame (except that an empty frame on the document page that happens to be in an exisiting thread will fill from the start of the thread before filling the current frame). Clicking on any sort of guide will ignore the existing frame or any master frame and you'll get the same behavior as if there had been no exisiting frame or master frame. You can tell what's going to happen by watching the shape of the loaded cursor. If it's surrounded by large parentheses it will use an existing frame, if it has a square upper left corner a new frame will be drawn.

• 12. Re: "Frozen" insertion point on some text pages
                                tm6550 Level 1

Great explanation. I need to play around with that to cement the difference in the cases so it's clear for longer than a few moments. Thank you, sir.