4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2012 8:42 AM by lmaclanphere

encoding: basic confusion

lmaclanphere Level 1

hi

a very basic question here:

if a PNG encoded quicktime file is too heavy (typically, in my experience) to play in quicktime without stuttering--why is it even an option to export this type of file?

(I typically render out to 720p--if that is significant)

thanks

LML

• 1. Re: encoding: basic confusion
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Playing back smoothly in a media player is not the only purpose for an output movie. For example, you may need to keep all of the image information in a movie because it is an intermediate file being handed off to the next step of the post-production process, or for archiving.

More information here:

FAQ: What is the best format for rendering and exporting from After Effects?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: encoding: basic confusion
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are production codecs and delivery codecs. You use a production codec in the production process so that you can preserve original values and not introduce compression artifacts into your project. You use delivery codecs for delivering your product. They are different animals. That's why there are options for different formats. You need to learn about them, learn when to use them, and what to do to get the best results. AE is not a foolproof program for amateurs. It is a full fledged visual effects package that can just as easily produce product for feature films as it can for home movies.

• 3. Re: encoding: basic confusion
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

if a PNG encoded quicktime file is too heavy (typically, in my experience) to play in quicktime without stuttering--why is it even an option to export this type of file?

It's a simple matter of "intermediate workflows" vs. "final delivery". Anything that is only suppossed to be played by whatever means or devices is final delivery and in order to do that, may compromise on quality, data rates and so on. For anything else this doesn't matter - when you open your files in another program for further editing, all that counts is retaining a maximum of info and you usually don't care for realtime playback because eitehr your video hardware will take care of it or you just liek in AE will process things one frame at a time. It's as simple as that.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: encoding: basic confusion
                lmaclanphere Level 1

thanks all;

I think my confusion comes from relating the quicktime format with the player only, and not with intermediate or production content;

much clearer now

LML