20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2006 12:19 AM by Newsgroup_User

MAC projector

Stella1251 Level 1
      Is it true that you cant burn a mac projector on a cd from a PC system?
      I have MX on windows XP. I even tried making a mac projector on the PC, but it says its missing xtras even if i include them all.
        • 1. Re: MAC projector
          ManOfMac
          You can burn a Mac projector on a PC no worries.... however....

Having done thousands of cross-platform burns (from a mac) the issue with PC is that PC's cannot naitively create a Macintosh HFS disk image (Windows use NTFS or FAT32 file systems).

So on a mac I can create a mac disk image, copy all my bits to it, then in Toast tell it I want a hybrid CD, I select the Mac disk image and that takes care of the mac side then I drag bits from the mac side to the PC side (inside Toasts interface) of the Hybrid CD and whatever extraneous PC specific files I want as well.

Burn !

What happens then is, when a user sticks it in a PC they only see the PC files, when they stick it in a Mac they only see the Mac files. So you can basically have one targeted disk for both platforms containing shared and platform specific files.

I have seen somewhere software that lets you create Mac disk images/partitions on a PC but that was a while ago :-(

Xtras are a whole new can of worms, there is plenty of information regarding usage and inclusion of xtras both here and in the help files !!
          • 2. Re: MAC projector
            Level 7
            The easiest way to burn a cross-platform disk is on a Mac. I have heard
            of 3rd party programs that allow you to do it from a PC, but I've never
            tried it. One of the biggest problems is that when you create the Mac
            projector, it outputs a hqx archive instead of an executable. The reason
            for this is that if you have the executable on a Windows file system, it
            will destroy the resource forks so the Mac will not know how to open it.
            You need to take that hqx and unarchive it ON A MAC. Then copy over
            all of your PC stuff and burn the disk on the Mac. As long as the
            un-archived Mac executable never touches a Windows file system, you are OK.
            • 3. Re: MAC projector
              tdriley Level 1
              The windows progs that will do it are:

CDEverywhere

and

MacImage

Ideally you would use toast on the mac, but if you dont have a mac available you can use these - it's not ideal but it works. Just include all xtras in each projector.

Nero can actually burn a hybrid if you have an external SCSI disk attached, which is partitioned as HFS to hold the mac files so ntfs or fat32 doesnt destroy them.

Hope that helps
              • 4. Re: MAC projector
                Stella1251 Level 1
                Hi..just a few questions..
                would it be easier to make a shockwave file instead? Or do not many people have the ability to open shockwaves? are there different versions of shockwave..one for mac & pc?

Also...if i do not get a hybrid program..& decide i want to burn on the mac..i know this is dumb..but doesnt the mac have to have director on it? or is there a way to transfer this file to a mac & then burn it using toast..?
                • 5. Re: MAC projector
                  tdriley Level 1
                  All computers need the shockwave plugin for their browser to play .DCR (shockwave) files... your shockwave file will always be a DCR, regardles if its for mac or pc, but the user's computer will need to have the shockwave player installed for their browser... which generally means they need to have an internet connection to download it... and it's a big download if they have a slow connection, and it asks for all sorts of annoying info like your email addr etc! So basically that's not a good route to go unless 100% necessary.

If you are making your director app on a PC, you can use a mac for burning and it doesn't need to have director installed, just the burning software. The PC will create a .EXE file that goes on the ISO partition (windows) of the disc, and will also create an OSX.HQX file that goes on the HFS partition (Mac OS) - see the director publish settings. Remember that any xtras you have used need to be supplied in their respective versions for each partition - each xtra will have a mac version and a pc version.

• 6. Re: MAC projector
                    Stella1251 Level 1
                    i appreciate the help..thanks for your patience also. i have bought cdeverywhere!
                    • 7. Re: MAC projector
                      tdriley Level 1
                      no probelm, hope everything goes well.

CDEverywhere is good buy!

T
                      • 8. Re: MAC projector
                        Stella1251 Level 1
                        When i go to project my mac version it says its missing 4 xtras...
                        Direct Soundx32
                        Vector Editor Xtra x32
                        3DAuthx32
                        OpenUrlx32

Can I get these somewhere..or do i have to buy them?
                        • 9. Re: MAC projector
                          tdriley Level 1
                          have a look in \Program Files\Macromedia\Director MX 2004\Configuration\Xtras\

or

in director, go to Modify>Movie>Xtras and make sure that they are all "included in projector"
                          • 10. Re: MAC projector
                            Level 7
                            > When i go to project my mac version it says its missing 4 xtras...
                            > Direct Soundx32
                            > Vector Editor Xtra x32
                            > 3DAuthx32
                            > OpenUrlx32
                            >
                            > Can I get these somewhere..or do i have to buy them?

The Vector Editor xtra and 3D Authoring xtra aren't needed in a
                            projector - they are authoring-only xtras
                            The OpenURL xtra is from < http://www.mods.co.au> - you may need to
                            download the Mac version from there. If there's no split version for
                            Windows authoring you'll need to extract it on a Mac so that the
                            resource forks aren't destroyed
                            • 11. Re: MAC projector
                              Stella1251 Level 1
                              oh..i was looking in C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Director MX 2004\Configuration\Cross Platform Resources\Mac\Xtras..
                              guess that was wrong..oops
                              thanks again
                              • 12. Re: MAC projector
                                Stella1251 Level 1
                                i thought mac xtras are in different file formats than pc xtras
                                • 13. Re: MAC projector
                                  tdriley Level 1
                                  they are, but windows ones are called .x32, mac ones are not... so i guess it was asking for windows ones...
                                  • 14. MAC projector
                                    Stella1251 Level 1

what do i do for the direct sound? :)
                                    • 15. Re: MAC projector
                                      Stella1251 Level 1
                                      but my windows ones are included..when i make a pc projector its no problem..no missing xtra boxes pop up to warn me.
                                      • 16. Re: MAC projector
                                        Level 7
                                        > thanks sean for the link!
                                        > what do i do for the direct sound? :)

It's a Windows-only xtra - there is no Mac equivalent.
                                        If you are getting an error around this xtra, please describe the error
                                        and what you are doing when it occurs.
                                        • 17. Re: MAC projector
                                          Stella1251 Level 1
                                          the error doesnt come up anymore..! thanks for all your help
                                          • 18. Re: MAC projector
                                            Stella1251 Level 1
                                            So i created an iso file for the mac..I put the projector on a disc..put it onto a mac that uses os10..then i tried one that uses os8.5 & it did not play..couldnt open the file..is there a way to get around that error?
                                            also if i have quicktime files included in my projector & one does not have quicktime on their machine, whats next? do you just use screen shots instead of movies to make things easier?
                                            • 19. Re: MAC projector
                                              Level 7
                                              > So i created an iso file for the mac..I put the projector on a disc..put it
                                              > onto a mac that uses os10..then i tried one that uses os8.5 & it did not
                                              > play..couldnt open the file..is there a way to get around that error?

I'm not sure what you mean by an iso file. Alos, MacOS 8.5 is pretty
                                              ancient...

> also if i have quicktime files included in my projector & one does not have
                                              > quicktime on their machine, whats next? do you just use screen shots instead of
                                              > movies to make things easier?

You can include the installer and run it if QT isn't preinstalled or if
                                              the version needs updating due to the codec used in the video files.
                                              • 20. Re: MAC projector
                                                Level 7
                                                Usually one has to create a hybrted CD on a Mac (the most common tool
                                                being Toast) , ISO volumes created on PCs don't create a resource fork
                                                required by mac applications. Mac os-9 and osx requirfe different
                                                preojectors and xtras, you probably only havde to targety running native
                                                in osx, this requires director (mx) 9.0 or later.