8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2012 3:57 PM by Keledole

Can 1920x1080 60p be used in PE11 to create slow motion at 24p?

big sandy lake

I know there has been a lot of discussion about the import of 1920x1080 60p into PE 11, which sounds possible but is there a way to change the frame rate to produce a fluid and natural slo mo by just reducing the frame rate after importing the 60p  footage to lets say 24p?

Thanks,

Tom

• 1. Re: Can 1920x1080 60p be used in PE11 to create slow motion at 24p?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

Have you tried Time Remapping to create that Slo-Mo?

If so, did that not produce smooth results for you?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can 1920x1080 60p be used in PE11 to create slow motion at 24p?
            big sandy lake Level 1

Hi bill, but no. I wanted to know if I could play back at the slower frame rate to get that effect without resorting to software interpolation, ( assuming  I imported at the higher frame rate of 60p ).

• 3. Re: Can 1920x1080 60p be used in PE11 to create slow motion at 24p?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

No, you can not slow 60 frames down to 24 frames, if that's what you're asking.

You can slow down video and you can output it at 24 fps -- but you're not really seeing 24 of the 60 original frames every second.

• 4. Re: Can 1920x1080 60p be used in PE11 to create slow motion at 24p?
                big sandy lake Level 1

Thanks Steve. That's what I was asking.

• 5. Re: Can 1920x1080 60p be used in PE11 to create slow motion at 24p?
                  whsprague Level 4

There is a hawk that takes rest breaks in the tree across the street from my office.  I grabbed a Sony point-n-shoot that does 1080p60 and took a clip with the zoom far over extended past practical optical limits.  I chopped it down to a minute.  The last 6 seconds show the bird preparing for and launching into flight.  I copied and pasted that 6 seconds on the end as an instant replay and used the (new in) PrE11 "Time Remaping" tool at max to make it play over 40 seconds.  It is pretty smooth!  IMHO, PrE11 is awsome.

Without music:  http://https://vimeo.com/56171499

With music and a little contrast increase:  https://vimeo.com/56173164

• 6. Re: Can 1920x1080 60p be used in PE11 to create slow motion at 24p?
                    Keledole Level 1

If I understand you correctly I believe that what you want to do is spread out ALL of the 60 progressive frames into a  24 fps project in the attempt to get a 40% speed reduction (24/60) AND by not having the program just insert duplicate frames and dropping others.  I don't have PRE 11 but I do have PRE10 and I can share my workflow that I do to accomplish this very thing.  I am at work right now but I think I can do this from memory (maybe).  Here is my disclaimer,  I am a hobbyist and in no way claim to be anything else.  There are so many more users on this forum with experience far beyond mine and I hope I do not give you incorrect information.

I believe that what you want to do is to "interpret footage" from the current 60 fps to 24 fps.

What I have done is set up a project with the proper 24 fps preset that will match the intended output.  PRE10 did not have the ability to set the correct project settings by the inserting of the first clip in the timeline so I had to do it manually.  This step helped me verify that I had done the process correctly and will be explained further below.  This step my not even be necessary for PRE11 if you interpret the clip first and then drag it into a new project timeline.

Always use a copy of your original clip so that if anything goes wrong you still have the original intact.  Again, not sure but better safe than sorry.  After it is imported into the section where all your clips to be used are RIGHT CLICK on the clip and select "interpret footage".  A box will pop up where you can set the fps from 60 (or 59.97 - I assume you are NTSC) to 24 (or 23.97).  If I recall correctly there was a box below that had to be checked or unchecked to get the desired effect but I can't remember exactly.  A little trial and error may need to be used to see what will work.  Accept the change and try playing the clip in the editor.  It should be in slow motion and using all available frames. 

To verily that it is in fact using all frames I have looked at the action in a 1 second section starting at the begining and then looking at it at the end of the 59th frame.  Note any easily recognized movement from begining to end.  It could be an arm position, an object moving off frame or anything that shows a 1 second (60 frames) time span ON THE ORIGINAL CLIP.

Now what I have done to verily the result was to drag down the interpreted clip to the timeline.  In the case of using PRE10, if the project setting of 24 fps was correctly set up in the beginning, the clip will not show a red line above the timeline which means that the clip matches the preset. 

I also would go thru the clip on the timeline frame by frame and look for two things.  The first would be that the same 1 second of action in the untouched clip is now 2 1/2 seconds on the timeline (in effect a 40% speed reduction).  The second and I assume the reason you have asked the question is to look at each frame and verify that they are indeed individual frames and not just duplicate frames inserted in between original frames with some of the original frames dropped. 

I hope this information helps.  Good luck.

• 7. Re: Can 1920x1080 60p be used in PE11 to create slow motion at 24p?
                      big sandy lake Level 1

Keledole, thanks for the response and yes that is exactly what i was intending. I will give it a try. I suppose a truer test would be to go from 60p to 30p because then the program wouldn't have to calculate the fraction 24p would present, where as 30p would be exactly half if you see what I mean.

• 8. Re: Can 1920x1080 60p be used in PE11 to create slow motion at 24p?
                        Keledole Level 1

You wouldn't have to worry about that.  I am now home and have looked at the correct way to interpret the footage. 

When you right click on the clip (media) in the project tab and then click on the "interpret footage" you would click on the radio button next to "Assume this frame rate:" and then put in the frame rate of your desired project setting in the box.  In your example above, interpreting 60 fps to 30 fps doubles the clip duration ( ie 50% speed) as verified in the Duration line below. 

In other words, if you interpret the footage to the frame rate that your project setting is then the first frame of the original clip will go into the first frame of the newly created 30p project.  The second frame of the original clip goes into the second frame of the newly created 30p project and so on.  When you get to the 30th frame of the new 30p project (the first second) you have used  30 frames of the interpreted clip (1/2 second or 30/60 frames).  This gives you a 50% reduction in speed without the addition of duplicate frames. 

Now if you take the same logic but interpreting the footage to 24 frames and dropping that clip into a 24p project you would still get one original frame for one 24p project frame.  No additional duplicate frames would be added in this case as well.  The difference would be that every 1 seconds of the original clip would have a perceived duration of 2.5 seconds of playback time (24/60 frames) or 40% reduction in speed.  All this again without the addition of a single duplicate frame.

Where you would get into the addition or dropping of frames would be if you interpreted the original clip to any frame rate other than the planned frame rate of your new project.