14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2012 1:12 PM by Jim_Simon

Ipad3 Optimal Export Settings

KrisHolder Level 1

When exporting 1080p H.264 iPad presets for highest quality, it looks great on The PC but iTunes rejects it from the sync process.   ITunes reports with an error that says "video rejected as incompatible with iPad".     Does anyone know the actual export parameters that iTunes will like?  The goal is to load the file onto the iPad for optimal Retina display.  I would reject ITunes if I could find another way to transfer!

• 1. Re: Ipad3 Optimal Export Settings
          Geekvision_92

Have you tried to use a 720p video, the iPad's screen is kinda small and most users wouldn’t see the difference between 1080 and 720?

• 2. Re: Ipad3 Optimal Export Settings
            KrisHolder Level 1

The iPad display is 2048 x 1536 at 264 dpi. The iPad camera takes pictures at this level of resolution.  The video is h.264 1080p.  I use HDMI output of the iPad 1080p video port for big screen presentations.  720 is not an option.

Yet in my CS6 Premier Pro export presets the best resolution under h.264 for iPad is 720.  Given the popularity of the iPad this is an amazing omission (IMHO).

I will keep trying different combinations until I get 1080p exported to iPad.  Below is my target.  iTunes is smart enough to reject what I have tried so far.  I wish iTunes was smart enough to tell me why!

iPad Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG‑4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.

• 3. Re: Ipad3 Optimal Export Settings
              al_bergstein Level 1

I guess it would be worthwhile knowing if it accepted the 720p version of your file. I've read of problens with compatability with the new retina displays for other apps. I'll have mine this week, so I'll also try it out.

• 4. Re: Ipad3 Optimal Export Settings
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I would reject ITunes if I could find another way to transfer!

Have you tried simply copying the file over USB?

• 5. Re: Ipad3 Optimal Export Settings
                  KrisHolder Level 1

Al, well Merry Christmas with your new iPad! I have found the video to be quite good and the pictures amazing considering the tiny lens it has.  But Apple does us no favors with all the use restrictions and iTunes interface.  My hat is off to you if you can crack this Media Export issue!

• 6. Re: Ipad3 Optimal Export Settings
                    KrisHolder Level 1

Jim, yes I have tried direct access from a Windows 7 PC.  I will try a Mac when I get back to the studio to see if it might work.  On Windows you can see the iPad internal memory with a single directory entry.  But you cant see any internal files on the iPad.  If you drag and drop a file it gives no error, but the file does not appear anyplace I can find on the iPad3.

I am doing what I call the Grandma Project in my recording studio. I have green screened my wife (Grandma 1.0) into a children's story book and she reads the book as our grand-babies flip the digital pages.  We are giving tablets to the kids for Christmas with the storybook on it.

So far I have tried iPad, Nook and Kindle Fire HD.  The iPad looks the best but is most difficult to work with, absolutely no native "drag and drop" easy use.  The Nook and Kindle Android tablets by comparison are a breeze to use and look like a USB memory device on Windows 7.   The Kindle Fire HD is next best looking display after the iPad, but alas, Amazon has not fully implimented ePub format on the Kindle to let one insert the interactive audio and video into the children's storybook.  So to make the Christmas deadline I made the childrens book into a video and used the Kindle.

Now if I can just get this #%!* iPad to load a video out of PPro...

• 7. Re: Ipad3 Optimal Export Settings
                      al_bergstein Level 1

Why not export it in .mov format? Does that not get the resolution?

And yes, Apple's lack of file system access via usb is frustrating. Looking forward to seeing what the new Windows tablets can do.

I am not a huge fan of apple, but am invested in their gear tablets and tv. I edit Pr on W7 for example.

• 8. Re: Ipad3 Optimal Export Settings
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I have tried direct access from a Windows 7 PC.

Use a FAT32 formatted thumb drive.

• 9. Re: Ipad3 Optimal Export Settings
                          KrisHolder Level 1

Jim, How can thumb drive, FAT32 or otherwise, get the optimal settings Export Media to the iPad3?

Kris

• 10. Re: Ipad3 Optimal Export Settings
                            KrisHolder Level 1

I finally was able to get iTunes to accept two files both h.264 one at 1280 x 720 (70.6 mb) and a second at 1024 x 768 (55.2 mb). I was surprised to see that the smaller 1024 x 768 format was larger (took up more screen real estate) and was just as sharp.

I played both video resolutions via an HDMI converter onto a 55" LED 1080p monitor.  Again in all aspects, imagery color, resolution, crisp text with no pixilation, the smaller 55.2 mb 1024 x 768 had the larger image with no appreciable loss in quality.

In both successful formats I enabled "Maintain maximum image resolution" because I had a source image folder with different resolution images and checking this box let me keep the highest resolution of each image in the Export.

So, its not labeled iPad in Export Media, but h.264 1024 x 768 looked better than what is a dedicated iPad preset in CS6 PPro.

Kris

roundhouse@valp.net

www.roundhouse-valp.com

• 11. Re: Ipad3 Optimal Export Settings
                              KrisHolder Level 1

My source quality is h.264 HD 1080 P 25 and my target platform is an iPad3 Retina display with the above post listed formats.  I have successfully synced thru iTunes my full source resolution.  Instead of the iPad presets I found that Media Export Preset Apple 1080 P 25 works great, looks great on the iPad3.

You can really see the difference in 1080 P with the Apple Preset via an HDMI link to a 55" big screen. 

And the nice thing is it plays on MAC IOS & Windows 7 also.

Kris

roundhouse@valp.net

www.roundhouse-valp.com

• 12. Re: Ipad3 Optimal Export Settings
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

Jim, How can thumb drive, FAT32 or otherwise, get the optimal settings Export Media to the iPad3?

I meant use the thumb drive to transfer the exported file to the iPad, and then just use a media player for playback, bypassing iTunes entirely.

• 13. Re: Ipad3 Optimal Export Settings
                                  KrisHolder Level 1

The only way I know of to do this is with a USB flash drive & the camera connection kit.

From Secrets of the iPad Camera Connection Kit:

Plug the USB flash drive into your computer & create a new folder titled DCIM. Then put your movie/photo files into the folder. The files must have a filename with exactly 8 characters long (no spaces) plus the file extension (i.e., my-movie.mov; DSCN0164.jpg).

Now plug the flash drive into the iPad using the camera connection kit. Open the Photos app, the movie/photo files should appear & you can import. (You can not export using the camera connection kit.)

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57401068-285/secrets-of-the-ipad-camera-conn ection-kit/

Really makes one wonder why Apple chooses to be so user difficult. 

Kris

• 14. Re: Ipad3 Optimal Export Settings
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

You should be able to just connect the flash drive to the USB port on the iPad, then use the file manager to copy it over to the folder of your choice, then use a media player to play it.

If you can't do this very basic type of operation that any computer worthy of that moniker can do, then you may want to think about getting a Surface tablet instead.