6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2012 8:49 PM by adriano35

WORKING FOR HOURSSSS - black in comp area and no imported files visible - Please help

michaelkkz

Help please. At a stalemate with months of work.

I am a creative cloud member.

Im getting black screen identical to this guy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFTu3qUUl0w

- An odd mix of object's state of existence - the colors are registering, and the images even flash for a split second when i first drag them onto the composition,

and then its gone. And then when i export the rendering, the reulting file flashes a series of images from in a split second, then black.  Further description below.

This is first time using After effects since becomming a creative cloud memeber, but I'm pretty fluent with PS and Il, So I'm assuming (hoping) there aren't any "no-brainer" solutions. 

I have not changed any of the preferences.

I've looked all over forums which led me to do the following

- make sure video card is up to date

- uninstalled, reinstalled AE

- version: 11.0.2.12

is there a link to an older versions of after affects that i can download which are included in creative cloud memebership

===

FAQ ANSWERED -

If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

- No Error Message

What were you doing when the problem occurred?

- Dragging PNGs, JPGs, etc (ALL) onto composition.  I have yet to find an asset that works.

Has this ever worked before?

- ?? I've never worked with After Effects before

What other software are you running?

- None

Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed?

- K-Lite_Codec_Pack_940_Mega

Tell us about your computer hardware. Include CPU type and number of processor cores, amount of RAM installed, GPU, number of disk drives, and how any external drives are connected.

- When in the preferences window>memory and multiprocessing it says “installed CPUs (processor cores): 4”

- Stock HP Pavilion dv7-2185dx Entertainment Notebook PC (see specs below)

Do you have any third-party I/O hardware (e.g., AJA, Matrox, Blackmagic, MOTU)?

- no

Are you using OpenGL features in After Effects?

- ?no,

Does the problem only happen with your final output, RAM preview, or both?

- VERY STRANGE - I rendered a 30 second avi after importing only one (invisible) graphic.  The exported clip flashes all ten PNG files from which the single one came from.  They all flash up in less than half a second.  Then screen is black for the remaining time.

Are you using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing?

- No

What is the exact sequence of steps that you are taking?

- Importing files, any, then dragging onto composition or timeline.  It’s not visible  on composition

=============

HP Pavilion dv7-2185dx Entertainment Notebook PC

Product Name                              dv7-2185dx

Product Number                    NV023UA#ABA

Microprocessor                    2.00Ghz Intel Centrino 2 Processor Technology featuring Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q9000

Microprocessor Cache          6MB L2 Cache

Memory                              6144MB

Memory Max                              8192MB

Video Graphics                    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (M96)

Video Memory                              Up to 2815MB (1024MB dedicated)

Hard Drive                              500GB (5400RPM)

Multimedia Drive                    LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

Display                              17.3” Diagonal HD+ High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1600 x 900)

Fax/Modem                              High speed 56k modem

Network Card                              Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN

Wireless Connectivity                    Intel WiFi Link 5100AGN

Sound                                        Altec Lansing with SRS Premium Sound and Sub-Woofer

Keyboard                              101-key compatible with full size keyboard with integrated numeric keypad

Pointing Device                    Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical scroll Up/Down pad

PC Card Slots                              1 ExpressCard/54 Slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)

External Ports

5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards

4 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0, 4th port shared with eSATA

2 Headphone out

1 microphone-in

HDMI

1 VGA (15-pin)

eSATA + USB 2.0

1 RJ-11 (modem)

1 RJ -45 (LAN)

1 notebook expansion port 3

1 IEEE 1394

irewire (4-pin)

1 Consumer IR (Remote Receiver)

Other Devices                    HP Webcam with integrated digital microphone

Dimensions                    16.2" (W) x 10.9" (D) x 1.37" (min H)/1.70" (max H)

Weight                              7.74 lbs

Security                    Kensington MicroSaver lock slot

Power-on password

Accepts 3rd party security lock devices

Power

120W AC Adapter

8-Cell Lithium-Ion battery

Software

Operating System:

Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1

• 1. Re: WORKING FOR HOURSSSS - black in comp area and no imported files visible - Please help
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The flaw is here:

K-Lite_Codec_Pack_940_Mega

K-Lite is known to cause all sorts of trouble. The bad news is that you will probably have to reinstall your operating system to get truly rid of it, but as a start, uninstall it and reinstall the Adobe apps again. The rest could simply be graphics card issues in combiantion with your not so sexy processor. Install a different version of the ATI driver (12.08, not anything newer) and verify you have all system drivers in your device manager.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: WORKING FOR HOURSSSS - black in comp area and no imported files visible - Please help
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Most of these kinds of problems with both Mac and Windows machines can be traced to flakey 3rd party codec packs. I'd avoid them at all costs.

• 3. Re: WORKING FOR HOURSSSS - black in comp area and no imported files visible - Please help
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What Rick and Mylenium say about K-Lite is true. It is poison to a computer.

• 4. Re: WORKING FOR HOURSSSS - black in comp area and no imported files visible - Please help
                RickRicardo Level 1

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

What Rick and Mylenium say about K-Lite is true. It is poison to a computer.

Is there anything written about that? Where?

I never had issues that could be related to Klite here.

Moreover, if After Effects properly supported system codecs it could import and export many more formats than it currently do.

Also consider that the maintainer of K-lite is a developer who works on many high-quality free decoders, encoders and players projects.

Not to mention that AE and Flash Pro are very known to crash and have graphics glitches on any kind of computer, i.e., Adobe fault.

• 5. Re: WORKING FOR HOURSSSS - black in comp area and no imported files visible - Please help
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

K-Lite makes registry changes that make it take over various video operations. These changes can't be undone by uninstallng the codec pack; they require advanced editing of the registry. Until those changes made by K-Lite are undone, many video programs will not work correctly.

We see this problem a lot.

It's not just us. See the warning here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/K-Lite-Codec-Pack

• 6. Re: WORKING FOR HOURSSSS - black in comp area and no imported files visible - Please help
                    adriano35 Level 1

Its uninstaller properly undoes all changes that the pack made. I have verified that recently with a Registry snapshot tool. So what you say is untrue. I also suspect your experiences are based on very old versions, or even just pure speculation. The pack and the included codecs have undergone a lot of changes in the past few years. It now uses stuff like LAV Filters, which is truely excellent.

In my experience the developers of K-Lite are very helpful and also very quick with fixing any problems that are reported to them. They even help when problems are unrelated to their codecs. I did a search on their forum and did not find any reports of problems related to Adobe products that were in any way caused by their codec pack. If anyone here has any problems that could possibly be related to the codec pack, they should visit their forum for help. If a problem is truely codec related, and not some kind of bug in AE, then they should be able to assist in finding the specific troublesome codec or setting.

I assume those Registry changes you are talking about are the ones that deal with preferred splitters. Well, those settings can easily be changed with the included tweaking tool. It is even possible to (temporarily) disable any of the included codecs with that tool.

But doesn't AE use its own codecs by default? If third party splitters cause problems, it means that it relies on the standard DirectShow graph builder, which would be a major fail on Adobe's part. Most advanced players use their own custom graph builder, so they can override the codec merits. I would expect no less from a professional product.