3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2012 10:09 AM by kglad

How to choose what to learn?

sippycup333

Let me explain the project I want to complete and hopefully you can tell me what I need to learn.

I am a teacher and I want to have my students create a walking history tour of our town App for iOS and Android. It will be a few windows: a map, a list of locations, and an info window that displays pictures and text about the location. I am trialing the Creative Cloud in the hopes that this will suit my needs. It looks like it is possible to do this in Flash pro or Flash Builder or even InDesign, but thats just it. I can't figure out where to start. Our students use Photoshop, Indesign, and Flash at our school. All CS3. My hope is that a project like this will convice the school to buy Creative Cloud for Teams, but I need to be sure I can produce a finished project. I have used Photoshop and Lightroom a lot, but hardly anyflash. My coding skills are limited to HTML, CSS, and basic javaScript. I am not afraid to dig into some tutorials or books, but I need to know which ones will help me, and which ones are a waste of time. There is so much out there! Do I start with just basic flash tutorials? Even then am I using Flash Pro or Builder? Can I have the students design things in InDesign or Photoshop and send them to me to put into flash builder? I tried researching this, but I thought the forums might give me better advice. Thanks.

• 1. Re: How to choose what to learn?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

if you envision an app that uses geolocation to display items of historical interest as you walk through your town you will need to iuse some actionscript (which is similar but the same as javascript).  you can use flash pro or flash builder to encode your app but from your description it doesn't sound like there will be any design elements that would require photoshop or indesign.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to choose what to learn?
            sippycup333 Level 1

Yeah you got the jist of of it. I wanted to ask the photography class to take photos of the locations, and be able to put them in the app. That I think will be no problem. I was also hoping that designing the layout of the app could be done in InDesign like Terry White does here: http://terrywhite.com/techblog/how-to-create-ipad-apps-with-indesign-cs6/  .  Though it looks like that is more of just a portfolio project for the iPad, and if I want more features I will have to use Flash. But the thing I guess I am really asking is where to start? Flash builder tutorials or Flash Pro? What will I need to keep in mind since most tutorials are made for Flash Player and not mobile?

• 3. Re: How to choose what to learn?
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

the design of your app can be done in flash pro or indesign.  i don't think you'll be able to do much design work with flash builder.

i would recommend using flash pro because it has more features than flash builder and there's more help available.

you just need to check an actionscript geolocation tutorial.  they're all going to be for mobiles and there is not much to your app.  for each of your historical points, you'll need to indentify its lat/long and associate that lat/long with the page(s) that correspond to that poi.

1 person found this helpful