4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2012 11:51 AM by Shelf cat

After Effect CS6 crashes after splash screen

Shelf cat

I cannot get After Effects to open. When I try to open the software, I get a splash screen, and then the window opens, but the it stops responding before the interface can appear. I thought the issue may have been my virus protection (norton), so I tried shutting down my firewall and restarting my computer. This seemed to work for me the first time I tried it; After Effect opened and everything seemed to work fine, but the next time I started the computer and opened the software it continued to crash, and what I thought was the solution no longer worked. Premiere, Photoshop,and Audition work fine. However, the trial version of FX Home's software, Hitfilm 2, gives me the same problem as well. I have tried alot to get both of these programs to work with no success. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how I might fix this.

Computer spec:

win 7 64-bit

intel i7 960 3.2ghz

12 gb ddr3

nvidia 560 ti

• 1. Re: After Effect CS6 crashes after splash screen
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Update your graphics driver. I'm sure the info in the Event Viewer will confirm it as the culprit.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effect CS6 crashes after splash screen
            Shelf cat Level 1

Updated to 310.7 from 306.97, but still no luck. When after effect stops responding there is sometimes a dialog box asking me if I want to send my information. This dialog box does not always appear every time I try to open after effects, but when it does, this is the additional information it gives me:

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\WER9F1C.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\WER193B.tmp.appcompat.txt

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\WER19AA.tmp.mdmp

However I can't find these files on my computer. This is also the same information I get when trying to open FX Home's software, except when I try to open that software I do not get a splash screen or window, the .exe shows up for a few seconds in the task manager and disappears.

• 3. Re: After Effect CS6 crashes after splash screen
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As I said, we really need to know the "fault module" from the event viewer or else this is not going anywhere. Read the hubub on my page and provide the necessary details. On a hunch we could tell you to update anything from Quicktime to whatever else you have on your system, but even that may not solve your issue.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: After Effect CS6 crashes after splash screen
                Shelf cat Level 1

You are correct, event viewer showed me the corrupted file that was blocking after effects. Ran a disk clean up and now after effects seems to be working. Thanks for the help, I'll post again if the issue returns.