9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2012 1:21 PM by OursoulsDad

Premier 10 won't run editor

OursoulsDad

Windows 7.  Elements 10 and Premier Elemeents 10.  All running perfectly before but now cannot open new or current projects from Premier opening screen.  Shows "initialising" but then does nothing.  Occassionally, when I try to open Premier from a movie file, I get initialising then "Windows encountered an error and will try to fix the problems", but I think this is because the file is .mts, which I think Premier cannot manage.  Getting a converter to make it .mov and see what happens.

Any ideas of what is causing this?

• 1. Re: Premier 10 won't run editor
          Barbara B. Level 7

Hi, oursoulsdad2. Premiere Elements has its own forum and you'll get more help with PRE questions there. I'll move this for you.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premier 10 won't run editor
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum, and a thank you to Barbara B.

The first thing that I would do, is look at your video driver.

What is the make and model of your video card?

What is the installed version number and date, for the video driver?

Is that the latest from nVidia, or AMD/ATI? Do not trust your OS, or any utility to tell you, if you have the latest - go to the mfgr's. Web site, and verify.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premier 10 won't run editor
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If the video driver is not the cause (as even a simple OS update can render it obsolete), then take a look at this FAQ Entry: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premier 10 won't run editor
                the_wine_snob Level 9

This article goes into more detail on video drivers, and the failure to launch: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4137087#4137087

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premier 10 won't run editor
                  OursoulsDad Level 1

Thanks Barbara - first time on this forum site and I don't find it intuative.  I'll remember next time.

• 6. Re: Premier 10 won't run editor
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Do not worry.

It is easy to end up in the wrong forum, and the MOD's work to help users get to the correct one.

It does not help a new-user find their way, that it is easy to confuse Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements, as they are often sold in a bundle, plus a Photoshop Forum, and a Premiere Pro Forum. Then, there is the Installation Forum.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premier 10 won't run editor
                      OursoulsDad Level 1

Hi Bill

ok - I am getting old am not much of a techie.  I have an ATI Radeon HD 5700 display adaptor and, according to Windows, it has the latest drivers.  Is this what we are talking about?  Version is 9.2.0.0 dated 27.09.2012. I have AMD Catalyst 12.10 and it is telling me all is up to date, but I cannot claim to be sure I am using it properly. 

• 8. Re: Premier 10 won't run editor
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Windows, and most any utility, will be about 6 mos. out of date.

I would go to the AMD/ATI Web site, and at the Driver Download page, plug in your Radeon, then your Windows version, and check.

Normally, until a card falls off the supported list, nVidia and AMD/ATI offer new drivers about once per month. Besides improvements for extreme gamers, one reason is that various OS updates, can render the earlier driver obsolete.

I have an nVidia Quadro FX-4500, and while less of an extreme-gamer card, it gets a driver update about 9x per year. The hot gamer cards, probably every 3 weeks, or so.

If you DO have the latest AMD/ATI Catalyst, then there might be an issue with it. I only have one older ATI card, and most of my computers are running nVidia, so I do not keep up with the Catalyst drivers. In the Photoshop Forum, one heavily technically-inclined user, with tons of AMD cards, has posted of some issues with a few different, recent Catalyst drivers. Photoshop has followed suit with Premiere, in that it now relies very heavily on the video drivers, where it once did not. There could be issues with your specific driver.

Also, some recent posts indicate that some recent Catalyst drivers are not working well in Win8, and AMD, Adobe and MicroSoft are all working on those, to get things working better.

Good luck, and wish that I knew the AMD Catalyst drivers better.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premier 10 won't run editor
                          OursoulsDad Level 1

Hi Bill

well - I got onto the AMD site and managed eventually to work my way around it - for this card, it points to the AMD Catalyst 12.10 as having the latest drivers (22nd Oct 2012).  There is a beta 12.11 version.  Given I have not done much video work recently, I wonder if it is the 12.10 driver that is causing the problem as you suggest?  Still have the problems.

Perhaps I might wait until the 20.11 version is released.  Catalyst will automatically upgrade. Then I can check. 

Thanks anyway.

Ian