10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2013 7:35 PM by Chris Cox

Photoshop cs6 freezing randomly.

Agustin

Hi Guys. Happy Xmas

My PSCS6 randomly frezees from 2-5 mins, for no apparent reason. Im so desperated right now, i don't what else to do.

This is what ive done so far and hasn't worked:

- Downloaded and installed latest update via aplication manager

- Reseted preferences.

- Checked for corrupted fonts using the Font test cript, no damaged fonts.

- Uninstalled 3rd party plugins. Not luck.

- Updated Video drivers "Nvidia GTX 470". Still nothing

- I've even unistalled PS and installed a fresh copy, back on and nothing.

Everything on my machine is up to date.

Win 7 Home

12 Gb RAM

I7 Intel Prccsr

2x nvidia cards gtx 470 running triple display surround.

750 Gb HD

DX 11

The problem im having is just related to PS, other Adobe products runs just fine, got a creative cloud membership if that matters.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

• 1. Re: Photoshop cs6 freezing randomly.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

You mention "randomly frezees." Have you found any common activity, that causes this?

Also, have you looked at Event Viewer, at the time of a freeze, to see if there are any warning, or error messages, in either the System, or Applications Tabs? If there are, and any have links, please follow those links, to see if there are any clues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Photoshop cs6 freezing randomly.
            Level 7

The freezes/hangs we've seen have all been caused by external applications, utilities, drivers, or network devices (printers or file servers that are slow to respond).

As Bill suggested, you need to look for common factors when it freezes: did you just open a document, just save, just use a particular filter, just disconnect a network server volume, etc.

• 3. Re: Photoshop cs6 freezing randomly.
              Agustin Level 1

Hi Bill, thanx for your reply.

By the the time that PS freezes theres not error message of warning of any kind, nor system or adobe messages, thats why im clueless, and not having any idea of what causes this issue.

Forgot to mention the freezing is momentarily, it goes from 1 to 5 mins randomly, after that it works again but for a short period of time as well, and then it freezes again. This goes over and over again al the time.

I had this problem for the las 2 days, i thought the last adobe product update released a couple of dasy a go will fix it, but not luck.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Photoshop cs6 freezing randomly.
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, so you are saying that there are no warning, or error messages in Windows Event Viewer, at the time of the hangs, in either the System, or Applications Tabs?

That is odd, especially in the Applications Tab, as there is usually some sort of a trail. It might be messages, that are just random code, but it's usually the ones, that have links, that furnish the clues.

With no warning, or error messages, at those time, I would then study the Event Viewer, to see if something was called, at just the moment of the hang/crash. There might be clues there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Photoshop cs6 freezing randomly.
                  Agustin Level 1

Thanks Chris.

The program hags can ocurr anytime, i've checked any kind of logs that could lead to a clue in order to fix my problem but still nothing, ive been using ps for a long time now and i never experienced this type of problem before.

• 6. Re: Photoshop cs6 freezing randomly.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

For more details on Event Viewer, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2031203#2031203

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Photoshop cs6 freezing randomly.
                      Agustin Level 1

Thanx for your kind reply mates. And sorry for the late reply.

I've been trying to analize the windows event viewer as sugested, but couldn't find anything photoshop or process related. 

But, after running Process explorer from SI, as sugested in bill's post, thanks by the way very informative and interesting stuff there, i came to find out that the exact "stack's process" causing my PSCS6 to lag is

"Photoshop.exe!??0_Mutex@std@@QAE@W4_Uninitialized@1@@Z+0xa25", i've been triying to find infornation related to this process or file but no luck, as i don't even know what this means.

This particular process is causing my ap to to randomly freeze or lag constantly. I'll really appreciate if some one, more experienced than me, could enlight me, or could help me fix my ap.

Thanx for your help, and happy new year.

Regards.

• 8. Re: Photoshop cs6 freezing randomly.
                        Level 7

That particular code point just means that Photoshop is waiting on the OS.

So we're back to waiting on the disk, a network volume, or some other device.

• 9. Re: Photoshop cs6 freezing randomly.
                          Agustin Level 1

Thanks for your reply Chris, Ive checked every posibility, as much as i know about fixing my issues, Hds, network drives, Hardware drivers, etc . As posted before, i can't seem to be able to find a solution, and i don't know what else to do.

This is really sad, as im not able to use PS as is right now, so fustrated.

Im just gonna wait for the next Product update and see if by some miracle it fixes itself, in the mid time i'll keep triying random stuff.

Thanks guys for your kind replys and comments, Have a good day.

Regards.

• 10. Re: Photoshop cs6 freezing randomly.
                            Level 7

An update to Photoshop is highly unlikely to solve your system issues.

Something on your system is hanging and causing Photoshop to wait for it.

Without more information about your system, we can't really figure out what the problem is on your system.