10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2012 10:36 AM by Comstar 11

How to add audio files.

Comstar 11

I'm using Premiere Elements 11 on my iMac.  I can't for the life of me figure out how to add music files to the 8 or so that come with the program.  Anybody else having this problem or am I just dumber than most?

• 1. Re: How to add audio files.
          whsprague Level 4

Comstar 11 wrote:

....... or am I just dumber than most?

That is always a possibility, but I doubt it!

When you click the "Music Files" tab you see where the 8 free ones are provided.  Below that it says "Use Smartsound".  I did that on version 10.  It installed software (that I didn't like) that hooked me to the Smartsound website to buy music.

Another way to do it, is to add music files under the "Add Media" tab the same way you add video clips.  The music files will show up in the "Project Assets" box and you drag them to the time line into an audio track. 

Pretty much anything seems to work.  There are music sharing sites where "creative commons" licensing is encouraged. 

Bill

• 2. Re: How to add audio files.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Bill's suggestions, for SmartSound, this article should prove useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4912568#4912568

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to add audio files.
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not clear. Are you trying to add a song that you downloaded from, say, iTunes to your movie or are you trying to use SmartSound to create custom music clips?

• 4. Re: How to add audio files.
                Comstar 11 Level 1

As I put in my original post I might be dumber than most and that's still a possibility.  I also tried the "Use Smartsound" same feeling that I didn't like the add on that just took me to another site to sell me music.  I couldn't find the "Project Assets" box after looking almost everywhere.  But.....  I was in the "Quick" mode.  Knowing I was a rank beginner I avoided the "Expert" tab.  But after looking everywhere else I opened that tab and "It's A Miracle" there it was.  Still stumbling through the learning process so thanks for your kind help.  If I hit the wall again I'll make another post looking for help.  Thanks Again.

• 5. Re: How to add audio files.
                  Comstar 11 Level 1

Thanks.  I'm still stumbling through the learning process and I may get to the point where I'll want/need the Smartsound feature.  I hadn't opened the "expert" tab since I was a rank beginner so that was why I could "find" the music I thought I had imported.  Thanks again for your suggestion.

• 6. Re: How to add audio files.
                    Comstar 11 Level 1

Thanks Steve.  I'm still stumbling through the learning process and I hadn't opened the "expert" tab since I was a rank beginner so that was why I couldn't "find" the music I thought I had imported.  Finding it now.  Still a work in process.  Thanks again for your post.

• 7. Re: How to add audio files.
                      whsprague Level 4

Comstar 11 wrote:

As I put in my original post I might be dumber than most and that's still a possibility.  I also tried the "Use Smartsound" same feeling that I didn't like the add on that just took me to another site to sell me music.  I couldn't find the "Project Assets" box after looking almost everywhere.  But.....  I was in the "Quick" mode.  Knowing I was a rank beginner I avoided the "Expert" tab.  But after looking everywhere else I opened that tab and "It's A Miracle" there it was.  Still stumbling through the learning process so thanks for your kind help.  If I hit the wall again I'll make another post looking for help.  Thanks Again.

I tried the Quick mode.  When I did 'add media' in the upper left corner, video files went straigt to the project box.  Then I tried an audio file and it went below the video in the project box.  So, I see where in 'Quick' the 'Project Assets' box and step are skipped.  Sorry about misleading you.

Either way, audio files get to the project box when you pick them up as a file on your computer.

There are two great sources to speed the learning process.  lynda.com has courses that are like a personal demo of everything PrE does with a great coach explaining it.   http://www.lynda.com/Premiere-Elements-tutorials/Up-Running-Premiere-Elements-11/109763-2. html  A few if the chapters are free as a trial.  The fee is $25 for a month of access.  One month is more than enough if all you want is the one course. 

If you prefere owning a course on a disk, video2brain is an alternative, but I don't think it is as thorough.

Bill

Bill

• 8. Re: How to add audio files.
                        Comstar 11 Level 1

Absolutely no problem Bill.  I have a manual on order and and running through the Learn Photoshop/Premiere Elemts 11 list of videos on their website.  Between those I should be able to get the work done.  I actually shoot stills 99.9% of the time so I'm just using this to put together slide shows.  I used to do it in iMovie but Elements gives me a lot more editing options on my photos and it's a pain to export from iPhoto to Elements then back to iPhoto especially when you can only move four photos at a time.  Again thanks for the tips.

• 9. Re: How to add audio files.
                          whsprague Level 4

Comstar 11 wrote:

Absolutely no problem Bill.  I have a manual on order and and running through the Learn Photoshop/Premiere Elemts 11 list of videos on their website.  Between those I should be able to get the work done.  I actually shoot stills 99.9% of the time so I'm just using this to put together slide shows.  I used to do it in iMovie but Elements gives me a lot more editing options on my photos and it's a pain to export from iPhoto to Elements then back to iPhoto especially when you can only move four photos at a time.  Again thanks for the tips.

I don't know how to put this strongly enough.  Whatever book you have on order will be slow and painful.

I have been a 'photgrapher' for almost 60 years.  Digital video was foreign.  I spent a year trying to figure it out because my granddaughters were interested.  One week of lynda.com training and it quickly made sense.  Skip the books.  If you want to understand video, watch video lessons that put what you are really going to do on your screen, in front of your eyes. 

Go to the link I posted and watch a single "free" chapter.  If you're not completely impressed, forgive me.

Or, read books like I did for a year.

Bill

• 10. Re: How to add audio files.
                            Comstar 11 Level 1

Thanks Bill.  I've saved the link and I'll view a "sample" and see if I'm interested in a subscription.