6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2012 9:36 AM by John T Smith

Trouble Sharing Project as AVI

thundertron

Recently I found the save as an .avi file missing from the share menu in Premiere Elements 11.  After reinstalling twice, I finally got it to reappear but a few days later it is gone again.  I've searched all over the Internet and Adobe.com for the cause and fix for this strange probelm, but as of yet have found no answer.  I've had to start using the previous version of Premiere Elements I own, version 7, to save in the .avi format and have not experianced the same problem with that version.

If anyone can help me figure this out, I'd very much appreciate it.

My computer is a custom build with Win7 Premium.

John

• 1. Re: Trouble Sharing Project as AVI
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I have never read of the AVI option disappearing from PrE. There are basically two, MS AVI (where one can then set the Compression CODEC), and the DV/DVC AVI, which will produce a DV AVI w/ the DV/DVC CODEC. Do both of those disappear on you?

Normally, we suggest the DV-AVI, as its compression is only about 5%, and those are the files that PrE was written around for an SD (Standard Definition) Project.

I often use the MS AVI, with one of the lossless CODEC's, like Lagarith, or UT Lossless. Those files are a bit larger, but are visually lossless. This helps out, if I need to migrate the output files for later editing in other applications, such as After Effects.

However, for most one-trip operations, the DV-AVI works very well, with little, if any, visual loss in quality - until one gets to about 3 generations.

You mention PrE 7, but it seemed that that was the version that you have fallen back to. If that is correct, what version was losing the AVI format?

Good luck, and I hope that others have seen this, and will have some useful input for you.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Trouble Sharing Project as AVI
            thundertron Level 1

Thanks for the reply Bill.

Yes, both MS AVI and DV/DVC AVI options are missing.  All that's left in the list are Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, AVCHD, QuickTime, Image and Audio.  The version I'm having this trouble with is PrE 11.

• 3. Re: Trouble Sharing Project as AVI
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Just a thought (as I do not have PrE 11 installed yet), in the various options, IIRC, there is a scroll, that will reveal more options. By default, that Panel displays at the top of the list, but if you look carefully at the right-hand side of the Panel, there is a scroll bar. Make sure that you scroll down, to see if the AVI options are just not immediately visible to you. Look carefully, as that scroll bar is not readily evident, and I have missed it before.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Trouble Sharing Project as AVI
                thundertron Level 1

LOL!  Well I feel stupid.  I was using the scroll wheel on my mouse and it was skipping from top to bottom of the list, so the AVI list would always be out of view.  When I drag the scroll bar with the pointer, I see it plain as day.  Thanks for helping me.  Sometimes the solution is so simple you can't see it.

• 5. Re: Trouble Sharing Project as AVI
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome - I've "been there - done that," and completely understand. Several times, I have been gripped by panic, "Where did my options all go?!?"

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

PS - you might want to take a look at this article, if things are working for you: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1058744?tstart=0

• 6. Re: Trouble Sharing Project as AVI
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also, while everything is "right and proper" with your computer, make a full backup of your boot drive to a USB hard drive

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything