1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 2, 2013 9:53 AM by sarhunt

Edge Compared to Sencha Animator/Tumult Hype

rodlab2x Level 1

I'm a flash designer for over 8 years. Now I have the need to produce for tablets and mobile and translate my skills in new programs.

I've tried Edge and love it very happy with the performance and timeline and easing etc.

I have done couple animations to try it out and seems to work fine.

http://www.lab2x.com/LC/edge/330/AggravatedAd330x410.html

http://www.elevote.com/ipad.html

I was asking another flash designer/motion graphics person I respect in the industry about it and this is what I got.

" it's pretty good tool for Flash Pros to utilize in making standards based animations, but it still doesn't output canvas or SVG, which negates some of the HTML5 marketing."

I wonder how this exactly affects Edge as a new product. I'm new to this html5 era like many so I would like to clear up this on my mind on what should I learn.

Is it a performance issue on tablets/mobile when making an animation with jquery/js in edge vs an animation done in html5 canvas/svg? what else is involved here?

Is tumult's hype and sencha animator more html5 compatible and that makes them better or is edge going to support all of these in the near future?

Thanks for your answers.

Rodrigo

• 1. Re: Edge Compared to Sencha Animator/Tumult Hype
          sarhunt Adobe Employee

Hey Rodrigo,

I'm not quite sure what the sentence "negates some of the HTML5 marketing" is supposed to imply. There's many ways to skin a cat. Vector based technologies such as SVG and canvas will allow things like shape tweening and scalability, however there's some limitations as far as cross-browser compatability and working with the DOM (all the elements contained inside your page). CSS based animations are better citizens when working with the rest of your page, and allow for things like accessibility and using custom frameworks and APIs with your Edge Animate elements. On that note you can use SVG graphics inside of Animate and allow for scalability, though this is what's called embedded SVG. Inline SVG allows you to edit the XML markup of the SVG code itself and manipulate animatable proprieties (which isn't supported in Animate).

For example, say you're making a Facebook widget inside of Animate and want to use the Facebook Graph API. You would need to use DOM level elements manipulated with CSS for the Facebook api to feed into - SVG and canvas wouldn't allow you to do something like this (at least not without difficulty).

That being said Hype and Sencha Animator both rely on CSS animations, as does Edge Animate. The differentation between the three is which browsers are supported and capabilities of the tool (things like symbols, properties, etc)

Adobe also offers Toolkit for CreateJS which will export your Flash content to canvas, though due to the nature of the web you're limited to a subset the features Flash Pro has to export. CSS also has some cool stuff to offer being developed by our web platform group (check it out here http://html.adobe.com/webstandards/) which you can expect to make an appearance inside of Animate once they become more standardized.

Hope that helps

Sarah