10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2015 9:10 AM by G.Shemesh

Dragging the Out Keyframes of a Clip doesn't snap properly to the last frame and disappear (CS6)

G.Shemesh

Hello everyone,

I hope that the title of my discussion explains the problem I encounter with and I'm curious if others might have encountered the same issue as well.

What I'm trying to do is basically to make an animation of a clip by settings the In and Out keyframes of its values, according to varies options under 'Effect Controls' tab -> Video Effects'. Such as Position, Scale, Rotation, Opacity, etc. The problem is that when I hold and drag the 'Out' keyframes to the very end of the clip (far right side), the keyframes seem to be snapped to the end of the clip when actually they are not. If you zoom-in in the 'Effect Controls' tab you will find that the keyframes got positioned a few frames before the end of the clip. I tried to select and re-position them to the end of the clip again from the zoom level I was, but then again if you'll zoom-in a bit more you will see that they didn't snapped to the end of the clip at all. So in order to place the keyframes to the end of the clip you must zoom-in all the way until you can't zoom-in anymore and then position the keyframes. The problem is that when you zoom-out from where you were, the keyframes are no longer visible in the 'Effect Controls' tab, as if they are now located beyond the clip. So if you wish to re-position the last keyframes that seem to be offset from the clip, you have to drag the edge of the clip in order to enlarge its duration first, re-position the keyframes, and then set the duration of the clip to the moment before you enlarged it. Of course due to this issue the position of the keyframes could never be accurate unless you'll zoom-in all the way and position them as your desire.

It also happens when you have a transition between 2 clips, let's say a 'Cross Dissolve' effect, and you want to position some keyframes of the 1st clip to the very end of it from the 'Effect Controls' tab, that now shows the affected frames of the clip by the transition. So basically the point is that the last keyframes will play during the frames of the transition that affects the end of the 1st clip. Again you hold and drag the desired keyframes of the 1st clip from the 'Effect Controls' tab to the far right side of the clip, until it seems like they get 'snap' to the end that includes a few of the transition frames. Once again the problem is that if you'll zoom-in in the 'Effects Controls' tab you will find that the frames that seemed to be snapped to the end of the clip were not snapped at all. So it's zooming all the way in again, re-position the frames, zoom-out, and then you find that the frames are no longer visible unless you zoom-in all the way again... =\

In addition, no matter in what zoom level you are, when you drag the Current Time Indicator in the 'Effect Controls' tab to the end of the selected clip, it goes offset from it instead of stopping at the last frame where you could still place keyframes. You won't be able to see the Current Time Indicator even if you'll zoom all the way in, unless you enlarge the end of the clip 1 frame beyond.

These issues does not happen in Premiere CS5.5 but only in CS6. I'm using CS6.0.3. I tested both issues on CS5.5 before posting here. On CS5.5 everything seems to be in order and works perfect. The problems are only on CS6. Note that the issue is with the OUT positioning of the keyframes only. When setting the IN position it works fine in both scenarios and the keyframes get snapped to the beginning of the clip as it should be.

I think that in CS5.5 it was designed that when the Current Time Indicator was pushed to the last frame of a selected clip, that frame was referring to the beginning of the last frame of the selected clip you're working on. But on CS6 when you push the Current Time Indicator to the last frame of a selected clip, it goes after the last frame (where the frame is no longer visible), which is actually the 1st frame of the next clip that should come afterward. That shouldn't be that way in my opinion but how CS5.5 used to work.

Attached a video of both issues tested on both CS5.5 and CS6.

Hope that there will be an update patch of some sort to fix that problem soon, as it's very difficult and frustrating to work like that.

Regards,

Gal Shemesh

• 1. Re: Dragging the Out Keyframes of a Clip doesn't snap properly to the last frame and disappear (CS6)
          Jim_Simon Level 8

It's a known issue.  I've hard nothing about a fix.  You an let Adobe know you dissatisfaction at the link below.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 2. Re: Dragging the Out Keyframes of a Clip doesn't snap properly to the last frame and disappear (CS6)
            G.Shemesh Level 1

Thanks for the link Jim. I've reported about it as a bug and gave the link to this page. Hope they'll fix this at the very next update.

• 3. Re: Dragging the Out Keyframes of a Clip doesn't snap properly to the last frame and disappear (CS6)
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Workaround is Uncheck Pin to clip in the menu panel.

pin to clip.png

• 4. Re: Dragging the Out Keyframes of a Clip doesn't snap properly to the last frame and disappear (CS6)
                G.Shemesh Level 1

Thanks for the workaround Ann! You always learn new things you didn't know about the software you use for years. The only problem now is that the CTI won't stop when you drag it off the 'Effect Controls' tab area for both IN and OUT. But then again thanks for the workaround. It's better than nothing until Adobe will fix this.

• 7. Re: Dragging the Out Keyframes of a Clip doesn't snap properly to the last frame and disappear (CS6)
                  G.Shemesh Level 1

Dear Adobe support team,

It's quite an old thread however no update fix for this issue but the workarounds of the good people above. This tiny and yet very irritating bug should has been fixed a long time ago in an update patch. I'm using the latest version of Premiere Pro CS6 (6.0.5) and still look forward for an update fix. I haven't checked whether this issue exists in the CC edition of Premiere Pro, however even if it has been fixed there, I'm not willing to upgrade to it no matter what as I believe in a product I paid the full price for ONCE and that should receive its yearly bug-fix updates, and not for one with an annual fee.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Gal Shemesh

• 8. Re: Dragging the Out Keyframes of a Clip doesn't snap properly to the last frame and disappear (CS6)
                    G.Shemesh Level 1

Dear Adobe support team,

I'm very sorry to say it but this has became a disgrace by now.

2 years and a half since I first posted this issue and no response from you guys whatsoever. This is really inappropriate and it doesn't pay the effort of writing you bug-reports if you don't take them seriously. At least post an official reply that you're working on it so we (the users who find this bug irritating - and I found not one on google search) would know that you heard our input and that there's what to expect for in the following updates.

So please, would someone from your support team take this case seriously and forward it to the development department in order that this issue could be fixed once and for all!?

This issue didn't exist in Premiere Pro CS5.5, and first appeared in CS6.0.

This should have been solved YEARS ago and yet it still present and no update fix has been published for it yet.

It's a very simple thing to fix and requires a very small adjustment in the code. I already sent you a bug report about this a long time ago but never heard anything from you guys. So what's the point of letting you know about it if you don't even respond?

The time indicator should snap to the end of the clips in the Effects Control window, so when a keyframe is created at the end of a selected clip, it should be the LAST keyframe, and should also be visible from ANY zoom level in the Effects Control window – just as it used to be in Premiere Pro CS5.5.

I'm attaching again the demonstration video of the issue that I created 2 and a half years ago, which showing the issue and the difference between Premiere Pro CS5.5 vs Premiere Pro CS6.

I'd really appreciate an official response from you guys. The kind users here suggested nice workarounds, but they are good for a period of time and should not be considered as permanent solutions. This matter should be fixed in an update.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Gal Shemesh

More things that should have been taken into account to preserve from previous versions are:

1. Arrow buttons at the scroll-bars: In CS5.5 the scroll-bars of many Premiere Pro windows used to have left and right arrow button (as could be seen in my video). For instance the scroll-bars in the Timeline and the Effects Control windows used to have small arrow button boxes, which could be used to scroll the window with accurate mouse-clicks, rather than dragging the entire bar, which is less accurate for some work.
                    2. Jog wheel control: In CS5.5 you preserved the jog-wheel controller from previous releases just below the Program monitor window. In CS6 it was removed. This should have designed with an ON and OFF switch for those who already accustomed to it or for new users who wish to use it, and so those who don't could switch it OFF like the rest of the customized features and buttons at the Program monitor window like Safe-Frame etc.
                    • 9. Re: Dragging the Out Keyframes of a Clip doesn't snap properly to the last frame and disappear (CS6)
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you want this issue solved you will have to upgrade to CC.

CS6 will never be updated.

• 10. Re: Dragging the Out Keyframes of a Clip doesn't snap properly to the last frame and disappear (CS6)
                        G.Shemesh Level 1

Hi Ann, thanks for the response.

You claim that CS6 will never be updated - Do you have an official source for that claim please? Because I'm still receiving updates to my Master Collection bundle. Therefore CS6 does receive updates here and there so update fixes should still be considered.

This issue has been there since the very first release of CS6 and was never solved in any update. I complained about this since the very beginning right after purchasing the Master Collection CS6 bundle. If it was that bugs were solved only in the next release number, people would have never purchased software in the first place. They expect for support and updates (including bug fixing) for their licensed products and Adobe should provide the support for them. CS6 is NOT a discontinued product and many individual and companies in the industry are still using it. Therefore updates with fixes to users input for many issues should be provided to it as well as in the current CC. You can't expect from people to upgrade to a newer release just because the issues they complained about have been fixed there, especially where the license is now an annual thing that requires monthly payment, rather than their permanent licence for life which they paid full price for. They should have these bug fixed in the release they have too, as it's still covered with support.

I for one will never upgrade to CC and just like many others don't like the idea of the annual license. I would consider upgrade however if and when Adobe will provide a full license for life to their CC version just like they did prior to the CC version.

I still look forward to an official answer from Adobe's support team.

Best regards,

Gal Shemesh