5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2013 9:43 PM by andaleebfatima1

Error trying to backup photoshop elements 4.

donnalo2000

Error trying to backup photoshop elements 4.  Getting windows error:  unable to save all data for file b0000408.jpg  data lost  try to save this file elsewhere; 

and getting photoshop error "error encountered while writing file"  and a bunch of numbers.

I have backed up to this device without problems.

• 1. Re: Error trying to backup photoshop elements 4.
          hyadav Adobe Employee

If you are saving the file in external harddisk, try to save in the local harddisk.

If the issue is occuring in the local disk , change the location of the destination folder to some other location on the local drive.

Thanks

Harshit yadav

• 2. Re: Error trying to backup photoshop elements 4.
            donnalo2000 Level 1

I have tried saving it in 2 places.  One on my external hard drive and once on my internal hard drive.  I get the adobe error "error encountered while writing file" on my internal drive which has enough space; no numbers have come with the last few errors. 

In my internal drive I only get part way through the catalog.buc file before it crashes.

• 3. Re: Error trying to backup photoshop elements 4.
              andaleebfatima1 Adobe Employee

Can you please check if there are any read-only files in your catalog?

A quick way to do this is select all and do Ctrl + W to write tags to metadata. Read-only files if present would throw an alert.

Thanks

Andaleeb

• 4. Re: Error trying to backup photoshop elements 4.
                donnalo2000 Level 1

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried the backup multiple times and it crashes in different places each time - it seems.

I did the select all and "ctrl W".  This did nothing.  Did you really mean "ctrl + W"?  Remember I have version 4.0.

I was able to do a successful back up onto a drive that has none of my pictures on it.  Could this be the problem?  I have an external hard drive that I have been using for my backups which have been working just fine.  I recently started storing my pictures in my catalog on this external hard drive.  Since then, I have not been able to back up to that drive.  Nor have I been able to back up to any other drive that has pictures on it.

• 5. Re: Error trying to backup photoshop elements 4.
                  andaleebfatima1 Adobe Employee

Ctrl+W corresponds to shotcut for File >> Write Metadata to Photos. Guess that's not available in Ver4.0.

Sometimes corrupt thumbnails cache also causes backup to fail. Can you please try renaming the older thumbnail.5.cache file and then launching Organizer leting it generate thumbnails again. Then try taking a backup.

Also if possible try finding out read-only files since the kind of error you are seeing comes mostly in their case.

Thanks

Andaleeb