3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2012 1:24 PM by peter minneapolis

Reuse or Reapply Cross Reference

MichaelGoof

I have a paragraph set towards the end of my document that I want to reference from more than one place elsewhere in my document. I have successfully established the cross reference from the first point in my document. However, when I go to place that same reference in the second point of the document, I cannot find any way of placing it. Is it even possible to reuse or reapply multiple references to the same paragraph? If not, what is the best way to achieve this effect?

• 1. Re: Reuse or Reapply Cross Reference
          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sure it's possible with cross-references, whether you're linking to a

text anchor or paragraph.

Just repeat the procedure anywhere in the document that you used for the

first cross-reference.

Can you describe what you're doing, and what error you get?

Ariel

• 2. Re: Reuse or Reapply Cross Reference
            MichaelGoof Level 1

I'm not getting any errors; just that I do not see how to place a cross reference that has already been created. When I double-click one in the cross-reference panel, it just opens up a dialog box to make changes. I tried right-clicking and using the fly-out menu as well, but see no option to insert it into the text.

• 3. Re: Reuse or Reapply Cross Reference
              peter minneapolis Level 4

Create a cross-reference to a paragraph that you want to refer to repeatedly from different locations in the document. Quadruple-click in the cross-reference paragraph (not the original paragraph) to select it. Copy to clipboard. Paste wherever into the same or another open document.

I don't know if you can use snippets to store a collection of thse, but you can paste them into a separate document or on the clipboard, so you can draw on a collection of frequently used references.

Search Google for terms like "InDesign cross-references" without quotes for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

MichaelGoof wrote:

I'm not getting any errors; just that I do not see how to place a cross reference that has already been created. When I double-click one in the cross-reference panel, it just opens up a dialog box to make changes. I tried right-clicking and using the fly-out menu as well, but see no option to insert it into the text.